THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Penguins In The Desert: The FINALE THIS Friday 5/8/09 1-4pm ET on WHRW 90.5 FM  (Read 3307 times)

lucy

• View Profile

I think it's the AFP fans I added on twitter last week.
it is! well, i'd already listened to the show once or twice, but usually i'm not home/at my computer when you guys air so i'd kinda forgotten about the show. but, today a little before the show started i saw one of your tweets so i listened. and i likeeed it! (okay i missed like 45 minutes because i was having dinner and such, but still i heard most :P)

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

I think it's the AFP fans I added on twitter last week.
it is! well, i'd already listened to the show once or twice, but usually i'm not home/at my computer when you guys air so i'd kinda forgotten about the show. but, today a little before the show started i saw one of your tweets so i listened. and i likeeed it! (okay i missed like 45 minutes because i was having dinner and such, but still i heard most :P)

;D CHEERS!

Kovacs

• View Profile

haha. We say it with a hint of a Long Island/NY accent?

Yep! Not too strong, but definitely Aastronaaut.  :)

Great show, by the way. I can be a pretty harsh critic for media stuff, and I really enjoyed it. Much better than I expected (I really hope that doesn't come across as harsh...it's just...college radio can be hit and miss). You and your sister sound comfortable, and work well together.

I like the music facts. One of my favorite things about the SD radio station I listen to is the DJs are really knowledgeable. You learn a lot about the artists, which increases the listening experience in my opinion. And it's worked for them as a radio station, they're trouncing the other ones.

I might bombard you with random requests now that I know our musical tastes are similar (though if you're working off CDs, that might not work) I'm a little less 80's, but that's what I liked about it...the 80'sish songs you played I really dug, which is unusual for me.

I also recommended you to a few musically inclined friends. Most of us are cube rats, who are allowed to stream at work, so maybe you'll pick up a few listeners. The AIM widget was clutch also by the way, since most workplaces don't allow AIM.

Thanks for playing my request (TnS), and great show!

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

haha. We say it with a hint of a Long Island/NY accent?

Yep! Not too strong, but definitely Aastronaaut.  :)

Great show, by the way. I can be a pretty harsh critic for media stuff, and I really enjoyed it. Much better than I expected (I really hope that doesn't come across as harsh...it's just...college radio can be hit and miss). You and your sister sound comfortable, and work well together.

I like the music facts. One of my favorite things about the SD radio station I listen to is the DJs are really knowledgeable. You learn a lot about the artists, which increases the listening experience in my opinion. And it's worked for them as a radio station, they're trouncing the other ones.

I might bombard you with random requests now that I know our musical tastes are similar (though if you're working off CDs, that might not work) I'm a little less 80's, but that's what I liked about it...the 80'sish songs you played I really dug, which is unusual for me.

I also recommended you to a few musically inclined friends. Most of us are cube rats, who are allowed to stream at work, so maybe you'll pick up a few listeners. The AIM widget was clutch also by the way, since most workplaces don't allow AIM.

Thanks for playing my request (TnS), and great show!

Oh, that was you? Rock on.

I've had the AIM widget there for ages, but figured it'd be perfect for the spontaneous WKAP challenge. It's great too because some people are really shy and don't want to call, or now, we have a lot of listeners all over the world - some who don't subscribe to AIM and some, as you mentioned, are at work other places that can't get on AOL. Very glad to hear that that worked out well :)

I'm very humbled by your kind words. I know EXACTLY what you mean about college stations. WHRW is a free format station - and I usually tell people that that's for better or for worse. So you can get DJs like me and my sister who will play a bunch of different types of bands/artists, but at the same time you can also tune in and get someone reading a book on air (I kid you not) or jumping all over the place with what genres and types of songs they are playing.

I joke around and say that I'm like an encylopedia for most modern/alt rock/indie rock bands because I know a lot about the music that I listen to - usually I have at least some random fact stored up in my brain about almost any band. So that's  part of why I really like hosting the show because I like to share that sort of information. I know sometimes we talk toooo much but the way I see it is that if I'm having fun on air, then it won't be as boring as someone who has no personality.

We can play anything we want - basically the options are endless in terms of what we technically can use to play music. The station has a HUGE music library with 1,000s upon 1,000s of CDs and vinyl records - so 95% + of what we play is from there, usually CDs. We also can play music from our iPod (or computer but I dont bring mine to the studio), and we can play music from the studio computer - whether it's streaming audio or me downloading a song I emailed to myself.

So, if you have requests that you'd like us to fill, you are more than welcome to send us the file to play - you can email us WHRWpenguins [at] gmail [dot] com

Thank you muchly for recommending our show to your friends. Honestly, that's one of the biggest compliments (and there has been so many in this thread, from people on this forum etc)  - it really is a wonderful experience hosting my radio show, I love so much, but I also enjoy the connections that it has helped me make to fans of the same artists/bands that I love and we truly appreciate the support you guys have given us.

One of my purposes, as a music enthusiast, is to expose people to bands they may not have otherwise have heard, or to expose my listeners to some of the music that has really touched my life - so like I can play the Cranberries - for instance -a band almost EVERYONE has heard of, but I can play a song that isn't Zombie, Linger or Dreams and hope that someone out there will discover a new artist or a new song or even stuff they have overlooked in the past.

My sister usually plays more indie stuff, newer music and I'm more of the "let's rewind to atl rock of the past 15 years with a hint of new" haha.

The streaming audio and the playlist of today's show will be up shortly in our blog, but I'll embed it in this thread too.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

Stream audio and playlist from today's show are up now in the blog - http://blog.myspace.com/WHRWpenguins

or here:

<a href="http://media.imeem.com/m/wBcvI1p5fQ/aus=false/" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://media.imeem.com/m/wBcvI1p5fQ/aus=false/</a>
http://www.imeem.com/penguinsinthedesert/music/eKjONPX-/hayley_and_jeri_penguins_in_the_desert_22009

Listen to our "Astronaut" pronouncing goodness 54 mins 20 seconds in.

Shakti

• Poster girl for some suburban sickness
    • View Profile

Thank you for playing Em Brodsky.  I'd heard the name, but not her music.  As I was listening, it sounded very good, vaguely familiar (Brian?), but definitely new.  I was sort of unsurprised to hear what it was when you announced it.
My own private highway from the cradle to the grave; I save a bundle skipping middle age and Saturdays.

Emmy

• View Profile
    • myspace schmyspace

just been listening- it's a great show, don't know why i never thought to listen before!
O we will know, won't we?
The stars will explode in the sky
O but they don't, do they?
Stars have their moment and then they die

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

Thank you muchly.

You guys are amazing.

Audio from last Friday's show is up w/ the playlist in our blog: http://blog.myspace.com/WHRWpenguins

Audio 2/27/09

<a href="http://media.imeem.com/m/pNFhuOLMg4/aus=false" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://media.imeem.com/m/pNFhuOLMg4/aus=false</a>

This was the 3rd week of regular programming, and consequently, the 3rd week in a row that we BROKE THE ONLINE STREAM LISTENER record! WTF?! FTW! haha This is AMAZING! To do this consistently, with a regular show
(no interviews) AND to have it keep increasing - it means we are retaining listeners and then some.

LOVE LOVE LOVE

And all the compliments are truly appreciated. People keep telling us "Wow, you guys sound natural on air, really good for a college show" and the like. This is so amazing.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?

Meh, you didn't play my Squeeze song...  I'm going back to top-40.  :headbang:
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

DUDE

I took ALL of the Squeeze CDs from the record library to look for the song you wanted (didnt remember which one specifically, needed to re-read my PM)  but the tech dudes were on the computer and when they were done I ran out of time and got confused.

Ask strawberryjulia and my sister - they can vouch for me!

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

DUDE

I took ALL of the Squeeze CDs from the record library to look for the song you wanted (didnt remember which one specifically, needed to re-read my PM)  but the tech dudes were on the computer and when they were done I ran out of time and got confused.

Ask strawberryjulia and my sister - they can vouch for me!
OK, truth be told, I can't abide top 40 for more than about five minutes...
Once in a while there's an OK song (no substance, but harmless...)
Yesterday, however, I heard THE most nauseatingly formulaic, over-produced piece of prefab
pop crap I have EVER encountered...  A song to put The Spice Girls to shame...  (Seriously, worst
ever, and I've been explosed to a lot of top-40.)

A bit of research...  It's "Love Story" by Taylor Swift...
I am offering a virtual nickel to anyone who can listen to it all the way through without wanting
to change the station, smash their mp3 player, or just barf...

(If only we had a rants-thread...  I could sooooo rant about how bad [in a deliberately-catchy
sorta way] this song is.)

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

Yikes C!

Okay - Cross posted from random thought thread:

So check it - we are three weeks into regular Spring semester programming at WHRW.

Penguins in the Desert (my radio show) has broken the ONLINE stream listener record 3 weeks in a row. That means we've had the most online listeners tuning in to our show than any other program this semester so far.

This is THANKS TO YOU guys and our twitter followers and word of mouth etc.

Let's go 4 for 4!

My show goes from 1 to 4pm ET and I'd love love love to break the record again, because it's fun and makes me happy.

PLEASE PASS THE LINK ON @ 1pm ET http://whrwfm.org/listenlive.php

:-D

Even if you dont care, would you tune in, leave it open volume down and pretend that you do? ;)

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

HUmblest apologies...

I missed about 99% of your show 'cuz Verizon  didn't seem  to think I  deserved an
internet connexion that didn't freeze-up every three minutes, requiring me to reset
the modem...

...but what I heard was very Outlaw-Radio...
"Hey FCC!  Put this in your standards-and-practices pipe and smoke it!"

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

haha.

We did it, we are 4 for 4. Breaking records is exhausting.

After the show my sister and I went out to dinner to celebrate. Life is good.

Uploading the audio as I type.

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twitter

We are 5 for 5. Peaked at 32 online listeners at the same time. INCREDIBLE.

Streaming audio & playlist is now up in the blog:
http://blog.myspace.com/whrwpenguins

Had two album challenges - THE BENDS and OK COMPUTER by Radiohead. We asked our Twitter followers throughout the week what their fav Radiohead album was. The Bends came in first, followed by OK Computer.

As for the songs that won - Fake Plastic Trees and Let Down.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up