THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: help with my womens studies project  (Read 6629 times)

Shanneeen

• just as long as you were on my side
help with my womens studies project
« on: November 22, 2009, 02:18:18 PM »

-sigh-

nevermind.

i was just trying to find other people's opinions for my project.. I thought this would be a good group to do because it's more diverse than where I live..

sorry.

snowman

Re: help with my womens studies project
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 11:03:14 PM »

so you want us to do your homework?
I got a text from my wife...and haven't text back yet. Better go get some credit...

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 03:33:28 PM »

i assume it's a survey. so in a way, yes she does.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:42:24 PM »

er, nice try, but when the homework involves polling people then what else is she supposed to do?
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

Shanneeen

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »

meh.. it was a bad idea anyway..

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 07:18:52 PM »

If you did still want an answer it would have gone a little like this…

My answer would have been pretty generic: Q1. The first two sentence of wikipedia + some acknowledgment that it is full of a diverse range of views.

2)Being a Feminist/Pro-feminist: Yes, sort-of.

3) Forgotten the question

4) Sex and gender: Again generic answer. Sex is biological, gender is more about perceptions of sex and what can be inferred by behaviours.etc

Tiervexx

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 07:20:29 PM »

NOOOOO!

Many of us will help, ask what you want to ask!  Ignore snowman.  I like helping.

Even better... people should come to me with any math questions they have, I LOVE talking about math and science.

buttercup.

• the girl you have in that merry green land...
  • ...can wait forever for you to come home.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 07:36:20 PM »

I was going to help! I was going to help!

Also, try picking up a copy of CUNT. And listen to Bikini Kill. And look up documentaries on the Riot Grrl movement. Or if you want to go even further back, Iron Jawed Angels is a good movie.

Shanneeen

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 09:00:39 PM »

awwww thanks you guys.. that just made me feel a lot better  :)

i can post them again..

1.   What is feminism?
2.   Are you a feminist? Why or why not?
3.   How would you define sex and gender?
4.   Do you believe in equality for women and men? Why or why not?

thanks so much.. this project is important to me..

-hugs- and i'll remember you love math Tiervexx.. i'm just horrible at it

Shanneeen

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:02:50 PM »

I was going to help! I was going to help!

Also, try picking up a copy of CUNT. And listen to Bikini Kill. And look up documentaries on the Riot Grrl movement. Or if you want to go even further back, Iron Jawed Angels is a good movie.

ooh and we watched Iron Jawed Angels in this class and I really loved it  O0 thanks

embitteredatheist

• so far ahead of my time, my parents haven't met yet
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 04:14:58 AM »

NOOOOO!

Many of us will help, ask what you want to ask!  Ignore snowman.  I like helping.

Even better... people should come to me with any math questions they have, I LOVE talking about math and science.

I am completely off-topic, but, MATH AND SCIENCE FTW!

JohnnyDBBUK

• Proud custodian of the Neville sisters souls
  • Where in time is Brian Viglione?
    • ~Gaslight Cabaret Club~
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 04:36:15 AM »

awwww thanks you guys.. that just made me feel a lot better  :)

i can post them again..

1.   What is feminism?

thanks so much.. this project is important to me..

-hugs- and i'll remember you love math Tiervexx.. i'm just horrible at it

I will answer in the style of Ron Burgundy

1.   What is feminism?
The study of females

Sure I'm a feminist, I'm definetly not a manimist, that night was just research!, purely research.

Sex is when you take your sexy lady friend aboard the love roller coaster and then give her the gun-show.
Gender I believe is the study of German deer.

Men and woman should be equals because sometimes a man gets tired and the lady should take charge.

Stay classy San diego

Shanneeen

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 01:54:09 PM »

hahahahhahaha thank you  :)

buttercup.

• the girl you have in that merry green land...
  • ...can wait forever for you to come home.
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 04:38:31 PM »

1.   What is feminism?
In my mind, it stands for the fight against sexism, against male dominance in society.

2.   Are you a feminist? Why or why not?
Yes and no. I am a strong woman, but I do eventually want to be a homemaker. A feminist homemaker sounds like an oxymoron, but I don't think it has to be.
3.   How would you define sex and gender?
Sex is what your born as, and Gender is what you identify as personally. Or whichever. I think a woman can be a man as much as a man can be a woman, it's all on your insides.
4.   Do you believe in equality for women and men? Why or why not?
I believe in equality, but not forced equality. We should just do what we want and not worry about gender roles.

I don't know if that helped much.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 05:15:23 PM »

Warning:  I do not believe there are short, simple answers to complex social questions (well, not
              short, simple right answers anyway...)
1.   What is feminism?
1. Depends entirely upon whom you ask.

2. I am not, as my interpretation of the term requires favoritism.  I think women are great, but
   not "better" than men [nor worse, just different].

3. I wouldn't know where to start.  On one level, sex is a simple matter of manifest physiology, but
    even that is nowhere near as simple as M or F.  Perhaps not as vague (nor quantifiable) as the
    distinction between "tall" and "short", these are still just descriptive labels.  If you can't find one
    that fits your subject, then don't use one.

4. Answer your question with a question: Do you believe in equality of Granny Smith and Braeburn apples?
   They're both apples, so they're equal, right?  Except that they taste different, have different characteristics
   when cooked, they're different sizes, and they grow best under different climes (but they often cost about
   the same in the store).

4 - part 2: Men and women are not the same, so "equality" is not really an applicable term.  However, as
    far as matters like equal pay for equal work, equal opportunity for workplace advancement...  Absolutely.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 06:14:52 PM »

Maybe you would have preferred my original short answers...

1. What is feminism?
“A political, cultural or economic movement aimed at establishing more rights and legal protection for women. Feminism involves political and sociological theories and philosophies concerned with issues of gender difference, as well as a movement that advocates more gender-specific rights for women and campaigns for women's rights and interests.”

That is the wikipedia overview and that’s my basic understanding. It becomes more complicated when you look at what these issues mean. The goals of Feminism remain relatively consistent (at least consistent enough to lend coherence to the definition of feminism) but as with most political issues, the priorities are not always the same and the proposed methods for attaining results vary considerably.

2. Are you a feminist? Why or why not?

Sort of. It depends which feminist definition is being used. Some say a male cannot be feminist and can only be counted as a pro-feminist. Other definitions say talk is cheap, and that you have to actively be a feminist on a political level.

There is a basic level of “feminism” that many modern people can attain just by not resorting to using stereotypes. I can do that and not purely just to be politically correct... even so, is that sufficient enough to be counted as actual feminism/pro-feminism? It’s more than some people who claim to favour equality can manage. Is claiming to favour equality sufficient? Quite a lot of people (men and women) will occasionally slip-up in the logic department and (perhaps accidentally) undermine women with their ingrained prejudices. Even so, there are many people in this category who would not be opposed to a basic uncomplicated feminism and would even support it. It’s a question of what is a minimally sufficient requirement. How far do people have to move beyond the Zeitgeist that is the call for equality? If certain oblivious thought processes are sexist, can people believe that they are a feminist whilst unwittingly acting to the contrary?

Politically I am sometimes feminist/pro-feminist but it’s messy to explain. I don't like to see anyone have a hard time, so feminist issues are almost always relevant. However, there are some feminist issues that certain classes of feminists aren’t aware of or are less concerned about (perhaps they care but not enough). One of the issues (certainly not the only one) is the disproportionate amount of women in poverty globally. In the same way that guys aren’t as effected by the problems women experience as women are, there are many people who are not very concerned about the problems women from afar experience. It’s easy to say it’s bad but that would only be “all talk, no action” and perhaps even hypocrisy if our consumer behaviour props up some oppressive activity that we otherwise say we disapprove of. So you can see that personal inconstancies and weaknesses might run contrary to certain definitions of feminism. Someplace along the line I’d be inconsistent. So the other issue is how consistent do your principles have to be to count?

3. How would you define sex and gender?

Sex is biological & gender is more about perceptions of sex and what can be inferred by behaviours. Gender is also the word that prudes use on their application forms when they can’t bring themselves to write SEX. (Just read a little bit of CeeGBee, and for this question, the point made on this question is applicable to my understanding also. SEX was traditionally a male and female designation but it is far more complicated than that. It's a cracked definition.)

4. Do you believe in equality for women and men? Why or why not?

My general answer is yes but it depends on what you mean by equality. There are pitfalls in standardising anything. Workable equality requires flexibility and common sense. Worthwhile equality would involve removing the barriers that people face in achieving what they want from life whilst acknowledging that they might still make traditional choices.

red_roses1337

• I less-than-three you. (<3)
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 09:37:24 AM »

1.   What is feminism? - Femenism, in my opinion, is the belief in total equality between men and women, in which one sex is not viewed as superior (because, in order for one of them to be superior, there has to be subordination as well).
2.   Are you a feminist? Why or why not? - Yes, I am a feminist. I live in the middle east, so I get a lot of shit for telling the muslim girls in my classes things that are considered 'wrong' here. For example, if they don't want to do stuff with their boyfriends then they shouldn't let themselves be pressured into it. Women here are treated pretty well, but that's because they are viewed as somewhat helpless and the muslim view on it all is that everyone should be treated fairly, which does not necessarily mean equally. While this is sometimes really good, it can bar off opportunities for girls especially in family disputes (a younger boy will get educational preference if the family has limited means etc). On the other hand, if I'm going to a party or something, guys there will take care of me. Once I was really drunk (everyone here drinks over weekends cause theres no age) and some guy cam eup to me and asked to dance. I said yes, and he started got really touchy (his hands were UP my dress). I was trying to push him off but he just kept on pulling me in. An arab guy from my school walked past and saw what was happening, so he pretended to be my brother and said he would beat him up (thats how things work here). Like, although it seems kind of strange, it was really so good that this guy i don't know very well helped me out.
3.   How would you define sex and gender? -Gender is something biological. It's pre-determined before birth and, personally, i don't think it should be changed. They're not really a 'woman' or 'man'. They're paying to have themselves "ripped up" (to quote the Dolls)… Sorry got a bit off-topic there...
4.   Do you believe in equality for women and men? Why or why not? Yes. I think that men and women should get equal treatment, taking into account physical capabilities though. For example, in Canada they barred a lot of women out from the infantry in the military by standardizing it across the board. This means that very few women could be in the infantry. But in general, people should be treated the same. Honestly though (no offense to any self-proclaimed western feminists), but people in america who think women are treated badly where they are from should try going to india sometime. After a woman's husband dies, she is pressured into THROWING herself onto his burning funeral pyre, and if she doesn't ten she is not a dutiful widow and is abandoned by her kids and community. Try comparing taht to the 'glass ceiling'
Anywho—thanks for reading this if you didn’t, then thanks for letting me rant <3

red_roses1337

• I less-than-three you. (<3)
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »

Yes and no. I am a strong woman, but I do eventually want to be a homemaker. A feminist homemaker sounds like an oxymoron, but I don't think it has to be.

THANKYOU. I tell people I'm a femenist, but still plan on getting married and having kids one day and they look at me like I'm crazy. Femenism is about choice- women shouldn't be penalized for choosing to pursue a career rather than having a family and visaversa.

JohnnyDBBUK

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 10:54:52 AM »

THANKYOU. I tell people I'm a femenist, but still plan on getting married and having kids one day and they look at me like I'm crazy. Femenism is about choice- women shouldn't be penalized for choosing to pursue a career rather than having a family and visaversa.

This rant probably needs editing but key points.
2 working parents=damaging for children
Hardcore feminists giving women who want to be Mums shit=Fucksticks

What does my head in is that the world has developed this [everyone should work] mentality
and so we have feral kids who have had little parental time because the people who are supposed to be bringing them up to be semi-decent adults are too busy having careers to pay extortionate mortgages, bills etc etc
The family unit has been destroyed.

This means no one [mum or dad] can do the classic homemaker role. Which is a shame because my mum did that until I was 10 or so then worked part-time/uni before she got sick. As her son, I have to say I had on of the happiest childhoods you could imagine. All because I had someone with lots of free time for me and my siblings and not juggling it between a career job.

Let women be mums if they want to be, let dads be dads if they want to be but meh as far as I am concerned mums are best at bringing up kids. Dads are good at other aspects of upbringing

To hell with hardcore feminists who give mothers homemakers shit.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »

1.  what is feminism?

a political term for women's rights activists.

2. are you a feminist?  why or why not?

no, i am not a feminist.  'feminism' didn't work, or we would have an ERA.  i am a female supremacist.

3.  how would you define sex and gender?

sex is the act of copulation, whether between opposite or same-sex couples or groups.  it also means whether a person is male or female, physically.  gender is the typical idea of sex roles, whether used on the 'proper' sex or no.  lately, gender lines have been both blurring and are traded back and forth between sexes somewhat in order to self-define and accept.  it will be interesting to see what comes of more gender expression, with acceptance.

4.  do you believe in equality for men and women?  why or why not?

i believe in political equality, but there are many ways men and women are not equals, especially in the areas women are traditionally compared to men.  as far as women in combat, it will never fully happen, and the reason, although they can tell you all day it's this or that, is that women have been tried on front infantry lines before, both alone and in troops.  it's not because the men break ranks to protect them or anything (not if they are trained, anyway)--it's because women commit war crimes in combat, plain and simple.  they are wired to lose their composure in a situation like live combat or capture, and they were too shockingly vicious (castrating and the like) for their superior officers to even comprehend, much less rein in.  they won't be trying that again soon.

slyvia k

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »

i'll try and answer later, it's all very interesting.

when you're on the hompage of the board, this thread is mentioned as ''help with my womens'' XD so gangsta! :D

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 05:26:30 PM »

2.   Are you a feminist? Why or why not?

This rant probably needs editing but key points.
2 working parents=damaging for children
Hardcore feminists giving women who want to be Mums shit=Fucksticks

What does my head in is that the world has developed this [everyone should work] mentality
and so we have feral kids who have had little parental time because the people who are supposed to be bringing them up to be semi-decent adults are too busy having careers to pay extortionate mortgages, bills etc etc
The family unit has been destroyed.

This means no one [mum or dad] can do the classic homemaker role. Which is a shame because my mum did that until I was 10 or so then worked part-time/uni before she got sick. As her son, I have to say I had on of the happiest childhoods you could imagine. All because I had someone with lots of free time for me and my siblings and not juggling it between a career job.

Let women be mums if they want to be, let dads be dads if they want to be but meh as far as I am concerned mums are best at bringing up kids. Dads are good at other aspects of upbringing

To hell with hardcore feminists who give mothers homemakers shit.
QFT.

1. What is feminism?
A failed movement from the 70's.

2. Are you a feminist?
I am a woman who does what she wants, when she wants to. I don't answer to any man and I make my own choices. I am also a housewife. What I do isn't considered to be empowering to women and I have been told by many 'feminists' that this means I have sold out the sisterhood.

Sex is between the legs. Gender is in the head.

4. Do you believe in equality for men and women?
Why do we have to be equal? We are so different that trying to make us the same seems just about impossible. I don't think men should be able to tell women what to do with their lives but women shouldn't be able to tell men how to live theirs either.

Feminism has made what I do seem worthless. I do not see that as a win for women. It is a gigantic loss. Most men I know appreciate how hard I work it feels like I am always being made to feel like I should justify my choices to women. Most feminist debate seems to be women fighting each other about who is better, the woman who works or the woman who does not - it has nothing to do with giving women the freedom to live as they choose any more.

Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »

Feminism has made what I do seem worthless. I do not see that as a win for women. It is a gigantic loss. Most men I know appreciate how hard I work it feels like I am always being made to feel like I should justify my choices to women. Most feminist debate seems to be women fighting each other about who is better, the woman who works or the woman who does not - it has nothing to do with giving women the freedom to live as they choose any more.
...but if you didn't do what you do, whose daughters would the radical feminists try to
indoctrinate, since they were too busy furthering the cause and asserting their equality
with any man to have kids?

Pope Totalfrog

• twitter
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 04:55:07 PM »

...but if you didn't do what you do, whose daughters would the radical feminists try to
indoctrinate, since they were too busy furthering the cause and asserting their equality

I have used this argument many times. They can't argue against it.  >:D
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

peppamintdynamo

• hatmister
  • suddenly I'm miss beehive 1963
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »

1. What is feminism?
"organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests"
Thats the definition from merriam-websters website, and I stand by it. I think that this is what feminism is in its simplest form, but as people have said here feminism isn't simple. Lots of people see it in different ways, and lots of feminists stand for different things. I honestly think that the majority get a bad rep from the few very radical feminists.

2. Are you a feminist?
I am a feminist, in the fact that I believe that there are still rights that women don't have and deserve. I don't think that that means women have to go into the work force. I know successful feminists who are homemakers, and I'm proud of them. I do believe that women have been oppressed for a long time, longer than people often realize, and deserve to make their own choices and be given the opportunity to fairly compete against their male counterparts.

Sex what we are physically and Gender is what we know we are in our hearts.

4. Do you believe in equality for men and women?
Men and women are different, there is no denying that. But we aren't so different that we don't deserve the same human rights and chances. There will always be situations where there isn't going to be complete equality, due to our reproductive roles, but that doesnt mean that women have to feel subjugated in other parts of their lives.

I believe that other women should have the right to be who they want to be. Whether that means they want to be a CEO, a performer, a scientist, or a homemaker, I don't want them to feel at a disadvantage because they are a woman.

I think that often when we talk about feminism, we keep it in the context of the western world. Our history, our women. But, when it all boils down to it, this is a worldwide problem. Women are targeted throughout the world with sexually fueled crimes. I think the world needs to change, protect and empower it's mothers, daughters and sisters. That is why I am a feminist.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »

in the words of a placard held by protesting 'lesbian avengers'............WE RECRUIT.

Pope Totalfrog

• twitter
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 07:11:27 PM »

in the words of a placard held by protesting 'lesbian avengers'............WE RECRUIT.
;D Can't argue with that.

To be honest though it does seem to be the straight radical feminists that I know that have more of a problem with my housewifery. I think they may just be jealous of my awesomeness (and the fact that I had the guts to say no to money and yes to being happy).

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 11:32:23 PM »

...and yet, even there, a fair number of lesbians go to the trouble of becoming (through a modified
version of the traditional biological process, not just by adoption) "mommies", despite that process
being made substantially more difficult by the need to circumvent the 'typical' role of a male in the
working.

Paul Jon

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 03:56:50 PM »

1.   What is feminism?
I don't know who is supposed to answer these questions, but I will anyway - however, be warned that I am male, foreign and probably older than your dad...
1. Whose feminism? This has become too vague a term. It is not possible to say precisely, and so people will resort to dictionaries, etc.
2. See above - in order to answer, it would be necessary to have the definition.
3. Sex is the state of being male or female (or other) whereas gender is a term used in grammar.
4. Yes. Since I believe in equality generally, not believing in sexual equality would be logically inconsistent.

To be honest though it does seem to be the straight radical feminists that I know that have more of a problem with my housewifery.
Thank you for not using that horrible Reagan-Bush era euphemism "homemaker". Did you know the export of euphemisms has accounted for 11% of US GDP since 1990? And that 84% of statistics are made up on the spot?

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 04:39:18 PM »

...and yet, even there, a fair number of lesbians go to the trouble of becoming (through a modified
version of the traditional biological process, not just by adoption) "mommies", despite that process
being made substantially more difficult by the need to circumvent the 'typical' role of a male in the
working.

well sure, of course, because there is no accounting for tastes, by which i only, of course, mean to illuminate that i am not the maternal-child-rearing-ever-capable lesbianic type, but rather the adult-child-center-of-my-own-universe type.  hence that whole unpleasant process, by whichever means it is achieved, not occurring to me so often.

Tiervexx

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2009, 05:07:01 PM »

1.   What is feminism?

The radical believe that women are people.

Yes.  Women are awesome and my best friends.  I would not want to be punished for being born a woman.  And I am deeply disgusted by cultures that mistreat women and no, I don't respect the alternative culture of a society that punishes rape victims.

If I have to pick between women's rights verses diversity in respecting other cultures than the respect for other cultures looses.

Your sex is the equipment you have.  It can be male female, neither or some of both.

Gender is in your psychology and comes largely from how your brain develops in early infancy.

Equality in terms of rights, yes.  I also don't believe that one is necessarily superior to the other(s) but the world equal also implies the same which is obviously false.

Certain jobs are naturally bias towards one gender or the other.  For example, I used to move furniture.  For every 1 woman capable of doing that job there are probably a couple hundred men.  And even most men can't do that job.  All my coworkers where men for a reason.

Women should also not be combat soldiers.  This is for all the reasons they generally can't move furniture plus the fact they are more likely to be gang raped if captured.

I certainly believe that women can do mental jobs men can though.

JohnnyDBBUK

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 04:47:51 AM »

instead of homemaker house wifery etc
go down the benny and joon route with : Domestic Engineer. :D
Johnny depp thought it made him sound important

Tiervexx

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 11:51:35 PM »

no, i am not a feminist.  'feminism' didn't work, or we would have an ERA.  i am a female supremacist.

You know what... I agree. Screw feminism.  Every man should have to register as the property of a female.  Men are evil.

Paul Jon

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 09:45:55 AM »

Men are evil.
So where's my secret underground base staffed with jumpsuited guards? >:(

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 01:44:20 PM »

You know what... I agree. Screw feminism.  Every man should have to register as the property of a female.  Men are evil.

if we did register guys like that, i can't help but wonder who would get custody of guys like dick cheney.  personally, i'd like to have that wrestler/actor guy who calls himself the rock for a pet.  i could make hella stud fees, and he would be good with home security, not to mention i would never get tired of telling my friends he was my pet rock.

Shanneeen

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 07:12:29 PM »

oh my god you guys are so amazing! i just got back from Thanksgiving vacation and i saw all these answers.  :headbang:everybody here is so smart and i love it <3 i'm so glad that everybody here respects everyone else's opinions. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU this means so much to me

Shanneeen

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »

Warning:  I do not believe there are short, simple answers to complex social questions (well, not
              short, simple right answers anyway...)
1.   What is feminism?
1. Depends entirely upon whom you ask.

2. I am not, as my interpretation of the term requires favoritism.  I think women are great, but
   not "better" than men [nor worse, just different].

3. I wouldn't know where to start.  On one level, sex is a simple matter of manifest physiology, but
    even that is nowhere near as simple as M or F.  Perhaps not as vague (nor quantifiable) as the
    distinction between "tall" and "short", these are still just descriptive labels.  If you can't find one
    that fits your subject, then don't use one.

4. Answer your question with a question: Do you believe in equality of Granny Smith and Braeburn apples?
   They're both apples, so they're equal, right?  Except that they taste different, have different characteristics
   when cooked, they're different sizes, and they grow best under different climes (but they often cost about
   the same in the store).

4 - part 2: Men and women are not the same, so "equality" is not really an applicable term.  However, as
    far as matters like equal pay for equal work, equal opportunity for workplace advancement...  Absolutely.

fucking awesome.. i love the apples metaphor.. i've never thought of it quite like that

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2009, 07:45:33 PM »

Sort of to do with feminism, but when I was a little girl, I would always maintain that I would go out to work and my husband would stay home and look after the children and the house. Before I ever knew what feminism was, and with a minimal knowledge of gender roles.

JohnnyDBBUK

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2009, 06:36:48 AM »

Sort of to do with feminism, but when I was a little girl, I would always maintain that I would go out to work and my husband would stay home and look after the children and the house. Before I ever knew what feminism was, and with a minimal knowledge of gender roles.

Roisin have you ever seen the father ted Episode night of the nearly dead?
Lots of irish wimin going after the daniel o' donnell-esque 'Eoin McLove'?
he reminds them of how dangerous it was leaving their husbands at home to make the zombie granniefan hordes leave.
something about "your man tried to make a cup of tea and burned down the house"
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/entertainment/watch/v203243zpw5ERNF

Leaving your husband at home is dangerous.

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »

Johnny, you are just reinforcing gender stereotypes!

i think i just like the fact that i was such a cool little girl hahaha

Cirque

• will emerge from the cocoon as a
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »

[something about "your man tried to make a cup of tea and burned down the house"

He tried to make the bed and broke his leg.

In short, Women rock because they ain't worried their subordinates have bigger cocks than them (Well....most of them don't worry about that)

Tiervexx

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »

[something about "your man tried to make a cup of tea and burned down the house"

He tried to make the bed and broke his leg.

In short, Women rock because they ain't worried their subordinates have bigger cocks than them (Well....most of them don't worry about that)

pfff, I KNOW that my lesbian friends are secretly jealous that I have a penis and they do not! :D

if we did register guys like that, i can't help but wonder who would get custody of guys like dick cheney.  personally, i'd like to have that wrestler/actor guy who calls himself the rock for a pet.  i could make hella stud fees, and he would be good with home security, not to mention i would never get tired of telling my friends he was my pet rock.

Haha, good choice!  I'd be the property of my two lesbian friends.  This would not affect our relationship at all because one of them is disabled and I like helping so I always do anything they ask.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up