THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down

Author Topic: gaga, palmer, madonna - a uke vlog.  (Read 13880 times)

stallionbreaker

• whose real name is Anna
  • Après moi le deluge
Re: gaga, palmer, madonna - a uke vlog.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »

I disagree that financial hardship and eschewing money are necessary for the making of powerful art.

now a question to further our diologue
is all art real art and is pop art art?
and if someone talented wants to make pop music
why should we worry when there's so much other shit wrong?

Art is real art if it touches/connects with at least one other person, or if it helps the artist to function in "this difficult world".
Pop art... is art. I like to say I grew up in the church of Andy Warhol (my mom connected with him on some level, and she passed that on to her two daughters). I didn't always like or understand pop art. I'm not sure I understand exactly what Andy was doing with his work, even now. What I do get is that pop art is real art, and is a reflection of our culture.

A related question I have: is entertainment art?
"like lady gaga and also madonna i'm just trying to entertain people"
Is art entertainment?

I give Lady Gaga a thumbs up for inspiring such a mixed reaction in so many of the people I talk to about her. What she's doing makes people think about deeper questions than whether or not he can read her poker face.

Lastly, I like the vlog. I love the songs you write in 20 minutes, Amanda. This tune is particularly catchy, and the whole presentation is really adorable. I have trouble following the comments on youtube, however, and will be less likely to go through all several-hundred of them there.
you're obviously not gonna die,
so why not take your chances and try?

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 10:50:31 AM »

Oh yes Amanda! More of these. VLOGSONGING IS THE FUTURE!!!

The negative reaction to Lady GaGa seems to mainly come from a place of over-hype and over-exposure. I rail against her because I'm just tired of seeing her everywhere, and how she is being marketed as a new thing (and I'm sorry, Dale Bozzio beat her to the ultra-blonde-foil-wearing-weirdo act by decades, and The Missing Persons actually had interesting songs). The anger seems to come from the fact that once an artist reaches her level, you can't ignore her. She is on every station, every channel and on every magazine cover. I see all of this, and my only reaction is "WHY???" I have listened to her music, and it does nothing for me. She has managed to bring out the music snob in me. I know in my rational mind that opinions are like assholes, but my heart is screaming "THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES!!!" Even some of my buddies seem to be digging her, and I can't help but feeling they have been duped. They let the market forces shove something down their throats, and instead of spitting it out and saying yuck, they are saying "give me some more daddy!"

I know feeling this way is WRONG. I know all the people loving on the GaGa are not idiots and sell-outs. She is talented, and pretty fresh compared to the other shit on the pop charts. Who the fuck am I to tell her not to take the money and run, and to tell fans that their opinions suck? If I want really challenging pop music, I can shut off the TV, radio or whatever and put on my Bjork CDs. I guess the anger comes from turning the radio off, and then hearing her music blaring from afar or coming on the TV set. She is a FAME MONSTER STALKING ME!!!! :)
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

JohnnyDBBUK

• Proud custodian of the Neville sisters souls
  • Where in time is Brian Viglione?
    • ~Gaslight Cabaret Club~
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 11:11:38 AM »

Oh yes Amanda! More of these. VLOGSONGING IS THE FUTURE!!!

The negative reaction to Lady GaGa seems to mainly come from a place of over-hype and over-exposure. I rail against her because I'm just tired of seeing her everywhere, and how she is being marketed as a new thing (and I'm sorry, Dale Bozzio beat her to the ultra-blonde-foil-wearing-weirdo act by decades, and The Missing Persons actually had interesting songs). some more daddy!"

Missing persons win :D
Mental Hopskotch Tinfoil poppery from the 80s >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjnW3Fku75w

oh and the sad sideeffect of Pop Art and Fine Art these days is that they have left the doors open for
charlatans shitheels who are quite frankly are lazy heartless motherfuckers that are just taking the piss.
Trust me  O0 I work at an art college and have met several self professed fakers.

PS. Terry Bozzio has similar energy to Viggie

armyoflarry

• and army of names
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »

Mental Hopskotch Tinfoil poppery from the 80s >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjnW3Fku75w

oh and the sad sideeffect of Pop Art and Fine Art these days is that they have left the doors open for
charlatans shitheels who are quite frankly are lazy heartless motherfuckers that are just taking the piss.
Trust me  O0 I work at an art college and have met several self professed fakers.

Wow, right on about the Terry/Viggie vibe. They even make a lot of the same faces when they play.

JohnnyDBBUK

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 11:37:41 AM »

Wow, right on about the Terry/Viggie vibe. They even make a lot of the same faces when they play.

I thought that a year ago when I stumbled on the video.
My old drumming teacher who had a similar approach to viggie was a huge Terry Bozzio Fan

armyoflarry

• and army of names
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 11:41:01 AM »

In fact, watch this video. Listen to the song, see the images, and please tell me what is so new and fresh about Lady GaGa. It is like she based her whole style on this video alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj4ZqutTTQs

JohnnyDBBUK

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 11:47:19 AM »

In fact, watch this video. Listen to the song, see the images, and please tell me what is so new and fresh about Lady GaGa. It is like she based her whole style on this video alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj4ZqutTTQs

I really love 80s music videos because the medium was just developing.
They weren't polished and some were just so strange and interesting.

peppamintdynamo

• hatmister
  • suddenly I'm miss beehive 1963
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 01:57:02 PM »

It bugs me when people get down on Lady Gaga for being a pop artist. She is a very talented musician, as one can see from her early stuff and acoustic covers of her songs. She has an amazing voice and a wonderful handle on the piano. And she decided she wanted to make pop music. Good for her. I think real art is what the artist makes of it. True, she has become very mainstream, but it's all her own creation. Rather than saying she's sold out, I think that she's actually working the system in a way. The fact that she clearly could, and has in the past, make music that isn't "pop music," suggests that she knows this, and is either writing something she loves the sound of and is great dance music, or is writing this music knowing that she can make a shitload of money off of it. Either way, I can respect that. I think that people get way to wrapped up in the idea of mainstream and popular music. Just because a lot of people think its fantastic, doesn't mean that you need to think its shit. If you do, then you should have other reasons for doing so, that aren't related to how popular this artist is. That makes you just as bad as the people who like her just because she is popular.

She's an artist, she's making money. She's not killing puppies or anything. I think people should just give her a break.

stallionbreaker

• whose real name is Anna
  • Après moi le deluge
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 02:01:34 PM »

...or is writing this music knowing that she can make a shitload of money off of it. Either way, I can respect that.
I think that second possibility is what a lot of people can't respect.
you're obviously not gonna die,
so why not take your chances and try?

delilah

• ..i kissed your lips and i tasted blood.
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 02:22:32 PM »

I think that art is art if it changes the way you were feeling.
If it has an effect on your life in any way - happiness, sadness, even anger.

If I feel indifferent about something. I cannot personally consider it art.

I can appreciate the talent involved and maybe even understand why other people love it. However, I feel that experiencing art is so highly subjective that it is impossible for two people to be affected in the same way.

The only reason we feel the need to put down on these 'pop' genres is because we want to feel like we belong. So we do what everyone else is doing.
I do it myself. It's human nature.

[anyone fancy converting gaga, palmer, madonna into mp3 for us to enjoy aurally? i know some of my friends, who are sans interweb, would love it!]

Helena Prezio

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 02:34:17 PM »

and if you're a pop artist and you're a woman then its much more likely that people will say your art sucks

What difference does it make? You can't please everyone.

The point being, you create something that does more than entertain, which I feel all art mediums should do, although I think it's fine for someone to create art because it's pretty to look at.

There's a moment for people like you, there's always a moment, when you choose to sell out or you choose to do more than entertain.

I think that you're lucky, while you have the support of fans and fellow musicians and "artists", you do not, at the end of the day, need them to create. It's better, I'm sure, to have an audience, to have a point to it all, but I don't think your gifts are completely dependent on other people. You will explode music whether you opt to or not.  

I find that in the world of directing, I was more heavily criticized than my male colleagues. Criticized for being overly emotional, extremely picky, and very attached to my cast and crew.

Fuck em!

If I had listened to the aged male professor who told me in my first year of graduate school that I should have never been accepted to the program, I wouldn't have gotten very far.

I didn't necessarily feel the need to prove him wrong, although I knew he was. And I did prove him wrong, however unintentionally.

I cannot bring myself to direct or to be involved with projects that do nothing for the 'greater good', even if it as simple as provoking someone to read the original story of the parody I'm working on. I certainly prefer to spark thought and emotion in my audiences.

But I think that comes out of my needing to feel "useful", which means that I don't feel terribly useful, and when I feel the least useful of all is when I try to define and judge the poignancy of my art and of myself. The further I can get from agonizing over who will say my art sucks and who will be completely transformed by it, the better off I am.

And as I'm writing this, there are few examples of art, particularly music, that dont' "do more", that "don't go further". There will always be someone there at the end of the day to tell you that your art sucks, and for me it's usually...well...me. If I can beat other people to the criticizing punch, I'm safer somehow.

I'm a huge Lady Gaga fan. Why? Because she makes me want to dance. I find her clever and attractive and better than a cup of coffee in the morning.

Rob

• Now I must go, Sean Hannity is on.
  • Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 04:02:22 PM »

GREATEST SONG EVAR!
[/interwebz]
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

overratedtoejam

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 04:07:03 PM »

yes, do more of these. that was great.

and here's an update on an image i made for a different thread (+ pointy bra):

Merk

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 05:13:45 PM »

^ that image is awesome
and the song is awesome  :D it made my day

insignifikunt

• Super Fan
  • ...Strength through Music...
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 04:21:54 AM »

After all this GaGa talk lately I thought I should give her another go because in all honesty, despite the fact she is extremely over exposed, I haven't had much exposure to her because I don't listen to commercial radio. So I watched a clip on youtube posted by someone on twitter of her performing at the royal variety show.

I have to admit I didn't hate the song... BUT being on youtube, it's virtually impossible to watch one song and be on my way so I checkout out another couple and my original opinion remains the same.

I think she is capable of writing really great music and there is no doubt that she has a great voice, BUT what she is doing now is nothing special, it's no different from the Britney's and the Jessica Simpson's out there. All she has done differently is the packaging! She dresses unusually and all that. So it's the same manufactured pop music, which there is nothing wrong with, like I said before, I love some pop music, but it's nothing ground breaking and amazing as some people including Lady GaGa herself seem to think it is. I feel like it's souless and created solely for financial benefits.

Personally I think the whole "odd persona" and clothing is to mask the fact that she is just like every out pop star that has ever been in the charts...

She is definitely not original at all.
...Sing for the teachers who told you that you couldn't sing...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up