THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Are there any questions that are beyond the realm of scientific enquiry?"  (Read 5969 times)

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]

So, again another question I was asked by my Psychology tutors, and I am interested in what you guys think!
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

tw2113

• Agent Semi-Intelligent
  • Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    • Michaelbox dot Net
Re: "Are there any questions that are beyond the realm of scientific enquiry?"
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 05:31:56 PM »

How do you prove there's a god
There comes times in every man's life, where he must urinate. For me, now is one of those times, excuse me

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 05:33:58 PM »

or isn't. that was my main argument haha. also, we can't define love, we can't explain why it happens. same with jealousy and anger, really. emotions serve no survival purpose, so why do we have them?

tw2113

• Agent Semi-Intelligent
    • Michaelbox dot Net
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 06:13:54 PM »

How do newborns know how to cry?

It's something that happens within minutes of birth and no time to teach.
There comes times in every man's life, where he must urinate. For me, now is one of those times, excuse me

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »

that one is related to survival, but i agree with you about instinctive behaviour such as that.

peppamintdynamo

• hatmister
  • suddenly I'm miss beehive 1963
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 06:27:19 PM »

I think a lot of the emotional things probably could be explained by science... they are finding out new and interesting things about the brain every day.  :love5:

Something I'd be interested to know is why we have deja vu?

Tiervexx

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 06:35:28 PM »

or isn't. that was my main argument haha. also, we can't define love, we can't explain why it happens. same with jealousy and anger, really. emotions serve no survival purpose, so why do we have them?

Anything with an objective answer is in the realm of scientific enquiry.  Not only are the things you all listed not outside science, but they are already understood.  Don't dare say something is beyond science just because you don't know why.

Emotions are the results of hormones within the brain.  We are still working out details but the chemicals that cause the feeling of love and jealousy and other emotions are understood.

You could not be more wrong in your assertion that emotions serve no survival purpose.  Without emotions you might just stand their like an idiot and let a bear eat you.  After all, why not?  With no emotion why care if you get eaten?  Without love and lust why reproduce?  Without anger why not let someone walk all over you?  They have obvious survival purposes.

This basic idea about why we need emotions to do anything is also why a computer with super advanced AI would not just spontaneously want to take over the world.  Without some emotions, like ambition why should it care to do so?  It would just sit there like a rock.

Not all knowledge has to be learned.  Every creature is born knowing certain things called instincts.  These exist because as your brain grows certain things are already imprinted in it.  Humans have a relatively short list of instincts, many beasts have more.  Some animals, like sharks, are probably born knowing everything they will ever know.

The ONLY things that are outside science are things with no objective answers or have completely nonsensical answers like:

-What is the square root of a steak?
-How do you count to potato?
-Is blond hair prettier than black?
-What is god?

tw2113's question about how to prove there's a god is the only question you all have purposed so far that fits the bill.  To answer this question we'd first have to define god.  By many common definitions god is a totally nonsensical concept.

Sorry if this post comes off as mean but it bothered me to see some of you ask questions that are not only in the realm of science but also already known.

Something I'd be interested to know is why we have deja vu?

There are at least two things that cause it.  One: "Another theory being explored is that of vision. As the theory suggests, one eye may record what is seen fractionally faster than the other, creating that "strong recollection" sensation upon the "same" scene being viewed milliseconds later by the opposite eye"

the other is a bit more complicated.  It can be because you have a very vague memory of the same thing, perhaps in a different situation, than you encounter something similar without having a complete memory of the earlier situation.  In other words, you get that feeling when trying to make sense of the crappy memory humans have.

peppamintdynamo

• hatmister
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 06:41:54 PM »

Don't dare say something is beyond science just because you don't know why.

Agreed. I think maybe it would be best if the topic was changed to something more along the lines of "Things we wish science would give us the answer to... NOW!" or "How in the hell does this work?"

I'm sure someone, somewhere knows how dejavu works, and why, or is working that out. As a sciency person myself, it makes me wonder though, because I havent heard any definite theory that has been accepted by science.

Captain Oblivious

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 06:51:21 PM »

You could not be more wrong in your assertion that emotions serve no survival purpose.  Without emotions you might just stand their like an idiot and let a bear eat you.  After all, why not?  With no emotion why care if you get eaten?  Without love and lust why reproduce?  Without anger why not let someone walk all over you?  They have obvious survival purposes.

animals don't have the complex emotions that we do, yet they survive just fine. why do we need love, or jealousy? i understand why we would have lust etc. also. we know that love is a product of certain hormones being triggered, but why? why that person, why this time? why does it make us feel like it does, why is it different for everyone, and why does it feel different for every person we love. we don't understand love in the least.

tw2113

• Agent Semi-Intelligent
    • Michaelbox dot Net
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 07:34:33 PM »

i still believe that plants can feel pain and humans just have zero ways to interpret the signals and have yet to figure out how :D.

VEGETARIANISM IS MURDER!!!!

I'm done now

Tiervexx

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »

animals don't have the complex emotions that we do, yet they survive just fine. why do we need love, or jealousy? i understand why we would have lust etc. also. we know that love is a product of certain hormones being triggered, but why? why that person, why this time? why does it make us feel like it does, why is it different for everyone, and why does it feel different for every person we love. we don't understand love in the least.

You are half right.  Animal emotions are not as complex as our own but they still have them.  If a rabbit did not fear a wolf it would just stand their and let itself be eaten.

Social animals also have feelings of anger, jealousy and many monogamous animals also feel love.  After the death of a mate or friend many animals including dogs, otters and monkeys will noticeably morn.

Love makes us feel the way it does because it forces us to pay attention to it and do the best we can to eventually do things that will increase the probability of us having healthy offspring.  From the perspective of someone in love it is incomprehensible because it blinds us but from the perspective of a scientist studying behavior or hormones in the brain it really is not all that mystifying at all.

We feel jealousy to motivate us to acquire something that will benefit us, whether it's a mate or an object.  Is it really that hard for you to see why?  Jealousy feels terrible but that's why it's a great motivator.  Love feels grant and mystifying so it will do a good job of pushing you towards that potential mate.  All emotions are motivators that push us to do things that will increase our survival/reproductive rates.

Don't say we don't understand love in the least just because you are not familiar with the scientific explanations.

I'm sure someone, somewhere knows how dejavu works, and why, or is working that out. As a sciency person myself, it makes me wonder though, because I havent heard any definite theory that has been accepted by science.

I think that the explanations I posted are pretty good.  If you do a google search you can find more detail on them.

peppamintdynamo

• hatmister
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 10:10:06 PM »

^^^ for some reason i didn't see your explanation when I was first reading! :P Thank you!!!

peppamintdynamo

• hatmister
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 10:12:29 PM »

I would argue that Chimps, and other great apes, have very similar emotions to us, which could be considered complex.

Tiervexx

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 10:33:34 PM »

I would argue that Chimps, and other great apes, have very similar emotions to us, which could be considered complex.

Word.

Like one professor I was talking to said in reference to a creationist student not believing we could come from animals "we think way too highly of ourselves..."

peppamintdynamo

• hatmister
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 10:36:59 PM »

Word.

Like one professor I was talking to said in reference to a creationist student not believing we could come from animals "we think way too highly of ourselves..."

Seriously. Also, I am pretty sure dolphin are significantly smarter than us, they just have a different type of intelligence. It may be one we can't comprehend. One show of how advanced a brain is how many indent squiggily things it has (very scientific term, I know,) and it's size.

Our definition of intelligence is very skewed.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up