THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The CRON diet  (Read 2779 times)

Morpheus Laughing

The CRON diet
« on: January 01, 2010, 09:18:51 PM »

CRON is Calorie Restriction Optimal Nutrition
The main potential benefit of the CRON diet is that it might slow down the rate at which the body ages.

Does anyone have any thoughts about CRON? 

I realised, about a year ago, that on average I consume far fewer calories than the recommended daily allowance. Essentially this has been true since I became a vegetarian at age 19 so I've accidentally had something like a CRON diet for years. For someone so implicated in it, I actually know very little about it. I think that’s mostly because it is still not well understood and it will take years for the scientists to figure it out. I sometimes wonder if eating in this way might be damaging me in ways I’ve yet to discover.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: The CRON diet
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 12:00:18 AM »

So.....

You've been eating it for years?
You feel ok?
Good energy level, you don't feel like taking two naps a day?
You don't catch every disease that comes into the neighborhood?

To hell with the label, it works for you.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 01:31:34 PM »

The low calorie diet has been for several years and there have been about 3years of the something that people would recognise as CRON. I have depression, which predates the vegetarianism by a couple of years so it’s hard to judge other health areas in isolation. I think I have a typical amount of colds.

I suppose the concern I have is about accumulative damage that might occur in areas like the joints. I know that many CRON people seem to be very particular about their diets and I wonder if I should try to understand more about nutrition.

peppamintdynamo

• hatmister
  • suddenly I'm miss beehive 1963
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »

Understanding personal nutrition can not only be good for you, but also really a lot of fun. I always find it interesting to know that one food prepared a certain way can be significantly more nutritious. Also, its especially important for vegetarians, because you might be missing out on important protein that you could be getting from really delicious vegetarian food :) .

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 05:18:41 PM »

Understanding personal nutrition can not only be good for you, but also really a lot of fun. I always find it interesting to know that one food prepared a certain way can be significantly more nutritious. Also, its especially important for vegetarians, because you might be missing out on important protein that you could be getting from really delicious vegetarian food :) .
Good points....

I mean, rice = yummeh....

...but brown rice has much better nutritional value than white rice...  just for example.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 06:08:16 PM »

I don't know much about the food preparation effects on nutrition so that's an area I could look into. I know that there are nutritional differences after the cooking process and that sometimes it is good to vary the preparation of foods to play it safe; I just don't know how conscious I should be of it. For instance, do I have to worry about nitrite and nitrosamine formation if I’m eating more green leafy vegetables? I also wonder if I’m adding enough olive/hempseed oil to my food. There are things like that I’m not going to be able to figure out until I can see what information is credible or not. Also, people sometimes get very into being as healthy as possible and what is important for them might have a fairly minimal impact on my health. It can be quite daunting knowing what the right balance is.

I’m fairly good for the general nutritional knowledge i.e. whole grain is better than plain grain, green leafy vegetables have high nutritional content etc. I believe I’m good for protein in my diet (except it’s hard to know for sure without muscle mass calculations) and I’m fairly conscious of the different types of dietary fibre.

embitteredatheist

• so far ahead of my time, my parents haven't met yet
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 06:38:06 PM »

I don't know much about the food preparation effects on nutrition so that's an area I could look into. I know that there are nutritional differences after the cooking process and that sometimes it is good to vary the preparation of foods to play it safe; I just don't know how conscious I should be of it. For instance, do I have to worry about nitrite and nitrosamine formation if I’m eating more green leafy vegetables? I also wonder if I’m adding enough olive/hempseed oil to my food. There are things like that I’m not going to be able to figure out until I can see what information is credible or not. Also, people sometimes get very into being as healthy as possible and what is important for them might have a fairly minimal impact on my health. It can be quite daunting knowing what the right balance is.

I’m fairly good for the general nutritional knowledge i.e. whole grain is better than plain grain, green leafy vegetables have high nutritional content etc. I believe I’m good for protein in my diet (except it’s hard to know for sure without muscle mass calculations) and I’m fairly conscious of the different types of dietary fibre.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Ta-da!

peppamintdynamo

• hatmister
  • suddenly I'm miss beehive 1963
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 06:45:04 PM »

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Ta-da!

Actually, they've found that a diet high in natural fats can lead to longer lives. It's all about eating a balanced diet, especially one that has a fair amount of protein, and whether you eat meat or are vegetarian, olive oil and some flax seed oil. I could go into cooking things, how, etc, but for the most part balance is really important. This obviously doesnt mean the same amount of everything, but its a good idea to do research, especially if you are wondering if your particular diet is healthy.

Paul Jon

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 06:18:30 PM »

Whatever it is, it needs a new name: I picture this huge bloke in chainmail with an axe and skull hanging from his belt shouting, "Kneel before the might of Cron!"

buttercup.

• the girl you have in that merry green land...
  • ...can wait forever for you to come home.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 03:03:04 PM »

I think I like where this is going...
Pages: [1]   Go Up