THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Poll

Do you believe in god or gods?

Certain that my god(s) exist(s)
- 9 (10.6%)
Strongly believe in some theism
- 9 (10.6%)
Lean towards theism
- 6 (7.1%)
True Agnostic (no idea!)
- 13 (15.3%)
Don't really believe
- 9 (10.6%)
Highly doubt
- 21 (24.7%)
Certain that there is no god or gods
- 18 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you believe in god? (not a debate thread)  (Read 19619 times)

embitteredatheist

• so far ahead of my time, my parents haven't met yet
Re: Do you believe in god? (not a debate thread)
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 04:15:55 AM »

Simply put, no, I don't believe in God. But if someone came to me with a nice, solid proof of the existence of God, I'd probably say 'Nice proof!' and start believing in God.  O0

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 10:28:59 AM »

Simply put, no, I don't believe in God. But if someone came to me with a nice, solid proof of the existence of God, I'd probably say 'Nice proof!' and start believing in God.  O0
You might look into purchasing a Babel fish...
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Psychomeltdown

• Caffeine Powered
    • All Manner of Bad
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 11:10:53 PM »

Nope. Don't believe in the Christian god, but I still believe in some other divinity. 
Ooo... shiny.

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 09:35:58 AM »

I believes in Ceiling Cat.

I say hiz prayer everyday before i goez to teh bed.

"Praise Ceiling Cat, who be watchin yu,
May him has a cheezburger.
Wut yu want, yu gets, srsly,
In ceiling and on teh flor.
Giv us dis day our dalee cheezburger
And furgiv us for makin yu a cookie,
but eateding it.
An do not let us be leed into teh showa,
but deliver us from teh wawter.
Ceiling Cat pwns all.
He pwns teh ceiling and teh floor and walls too.
Forevur and evuhr.
Amen."
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

my beautiful idiot

• I was born to die alone.
    • tumblr
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 03:44:27 AM »

I believe in raptor Jesus.

But seriously, I do believe in a higher being.

I've become progressively more inclined to study the Bahai faith, which is pretty interesting.

MerelyMarquis

• Are you satisfied?
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 01:00:42 AM »

A god may or may not exist but, if one does, it's not worthy of worship. I suppose I'm an agnostic who takes a secular life view.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 07:35:05 AM »

I hope my  signature is clear enough. I say "does he believe in me?". Because there were times when i was religious, and i have seen that nothing changed. instead there happen a terrible earthquake and such a big disaster distracted me from my belief. i think even if there's a god, he never tries to save, he doesn't care about us. now i don't know what to believe, in the religion section of my identity card it's written islam. but i don't think religion is a good thing, it only makes people fight. christians fight with muslims, then muslims fight with jews. it never ends.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

stallionbreaker

• whose real name is Anna
  • Apr├Ęs moi le deluge
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 09:08:02 AM »

Why do your identity cards specify your religion? Isn't Turkey a secular state?
you're obviously not gonna die,
so why not take your chances and try?

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 09:22:32 AM »

Why do your identity cards specify your religion? Isn't Turkey a secular state?

Turkey is a secular state,and the parliament has been discussing to abolish the religion section for years. But we are governed by a conservative political party, actually all the people here regret because of electing them. They don't let the religion section to be abolished. I hate this government, things have never been such confusing. What i hate more is to have a religion section on my identity card which was written when i was just a baby. You know it's so silly to write down somebody as a muslim or whatever, because people change and nobody has to follow their parents' relilion.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

Breschau

• woo-ah-oo
  • Damnit
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 08:00:04 PM »

Were I to pick a label for myself I'd pick agnostic, as with no apparent way to prove (to myself, nevermind to others) the existence or non-existence of god(s), picking one or the other as a certainty strikes me as somewhat arbitrary.

I admit, I do often find my thought patterns running as though I do believe in one, if only so there's somebody to blame - if I stub my toe I'll utter a "fuck off" to any higher being that might have set up creation within the set of parameters that eventually results in me stubbing my toe (petty, I know).  Typing this made me think of the Tezuman Empire's approach to both their god and the ruler of the world in Faust Eric. 

Certainly if there *is* a higher power, I don't think I like him/her/it/them much.  I'd also never, ever worship anyone or anything, regardless of how much more powerful, divine, intelligent, enlightened, or otherwise superior they may be to me.  And organised religion seems an inherently flawed concept to me.

Ultimately, when I devote any real amount of conscious thought to the subject, it seems much more likely and realistic that there is no god(s), no afterlife, no reincarnation, no higher power, no divinity.  But I'm too aware of my own (and everyone else's) lack of reliable information on the subject, and "what kinda feels most likely to me" isn't sufficient for me to form a definite belief; even if I do think that is most likely, I don't have enough information to give even a very rough estimate of *how* likely "most likely" actually is.  So I remain agnostic.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 09:08:30 PM »

Were I to pick a label for myself I'd pick agnostic, as with no apparent way to prove (to myself, nevermind to others) the existence or non-existence of god(s), picking one or the other as a certainty strikes me as somewhat arbitrary....

Certainly if there *is* a higher power, I don't think I like him/her/it/them much....

So I remain agnostic.

I don't know.  I suppose it depends upon what your definition of *is* is.
"The world is going to hell in a hand-basket, but it sure is nice up here on the hill."   A. Kujawa

Breschau

• woo-ah-oo
  • Damnit
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 06:23:19 AM »

Were I to pick a label for myself I'd pick agnostic, as with no apparent way to prove (to myself, nevermind to others) the existence or non-existence of god(s), picking one or the other as a certainty strikes me as somewhat arbitrary....

Certainly if there *is* a higher power, I don't think I like him/her/it/them much....

So I remain agnostic.

The standard definition of is, just with added asterisks for emphasis.  Re-reading I'm not sure why I felt that was necessary, I guess it just seemed a good idea at the time (that time being 1am, so my mind may not have been running at peak efficiency).

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 12:14:02 PM »

So I remain agnostic.

The standard definition of is, just with added asterisks for emphasis.  Re-reading I'm not sure why I felt that was necessary, I guess it just seemed a good idea at the time (that time being 1am, so my mind may not have been running at peak efficiency).

I was making a joke.  I mean, how often does one get the opportunity to jump on the definition of is?  If you're not Bill Clinton, that is.  Here:

Bill Clinton and the Meaning of "Is"
Timothy Noah
Posted Sunday, Sept. 13, 1998, at 9:14 PM ET
Years from now, when we look back on Bill Clinton's presidency, its defining moment may well be Clinton's rationalization to the grand jury about why he wasn't lying when he said to his top aides that with respect to Monica Lewinsky, "there's nothing going on between us." How can this be? Here's what Clinton told the grand jury (according to footnote 1,128 in Starr's report):

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."

"The world is going to hell in a hand-basket, but it sure is nice up here on the hill."   A. Kujawa

Breschau

• woo-ah-oo
  • Damnit
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 12:27:43 PM »

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
*brain kersplodes*

(I did consider that you probably weren't being entirely serious, but I wasn't sure so went with serious.  or, I'm no fun)

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »

in re. "is".....

In Richard Bach's Illusions: The Confessions of a Reluctant Messiah (a book which I recommend for
virtually anyone interested in contemplating cosmology....), he avoids words like "God" in favor of
"The Is"...
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9  All   Go Up