THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Poll

Do you believe in god or gods?

Certain that my god(s) exist(s)
- 9 (10.6%)
Strongly believe in some theism
- 9 (10.6%)
Lean towards theism
- 6 (7.1%)
True Agnostic (no idea!)
- 13 (15.3%)
Don't really believe
- 9 (10.6%)
Highly doubt
- 21 (24.7%)
Certain that there is no god or gods
- 18 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you believe in god? (not a debate thread)  (Read 19486 times)

Vinny

• This time, it's personal.
Re: Do you believe in god? (not a debate thread)
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2010, 10:25:25 PM »

To err do-heinous-shit is human, to forgive let-the-bastards-get-away-with-it divine....

I really dig this. Can I steal it for my signature?
Be my guest.

Thanks.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

KC

To err do-heinous-shit is human, to forgive let-the-bastards-get-away-with-it divine....

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2010, 02:47:53 AM »

i definitely dont believe in god/s but i am spiritual for lack of a better word...my man is actually currently working on a book describing what we both happen to believe in, it's kinda sorta not really like Buddhism (i say that because it's the closest thing and makes it easier to explain it to people)

ellietralfamadore

« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2010, 03:29:59 AM »

When it comes right down to it I guess I'm more than just a bit of an apatheist.
It's not something I can explain with arguments, just something that I feel. No matter if there is a god, it doesn't play a role in my life and I wouldn't want it to, either.
Maybe it's a matter of autonomy?
I simply don't feel that I need a god-like power to believe in, not for my choices, not for valuating the morality of my life or that of others. It's a way of pretending one is a bit independent, I guess.

tanqgirl

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »

i think that it really doesnt matter if you believe in a god or not or what religion you believe in (or dont of course) as long as you're happy with it and it works for you...as long as you're true to yourself (as corny as that sounds) and can stand behind it then it doesnt really matter

CottonCandy

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2010, 04:17:25 PM »

I believe in God but not in an organised religion way, more of concocted-myself-theism. *shurg*

As the previous person said, as long as it suits yourself, but also, as long as you're tolerant of other peoples beliefs, it really doesn't matter.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »

^ Tolerant to a degree - I'd argue strongly against tolerating a personal belief system that promoted violence or racism or something.

I am getting more and more Quakery the older I get, but I've not applied for membership yet because I'm still wrestling with Jesus. Not literally. That would be awesome though.... I would take him DOWN xD

I find the idea of a total rejection of the non-physical absurd - people willingly accept terms like "love" and "justice", but if it sounds a little bit spiritual they recoil like a recoiling coil.

As for theology being a matter of linguistic ambiguity, the linguistic side of things is hugely important - when I'm feeling my most Quakery, I simply will not refer to my beliefs as being related to God because of the huge connotations that brings, whereas calling it the spirit or the divine removes those connotations and is much closer to what I really mean. I don't think theological language is ambiguous; it's complex, and at times it might seem daft to have so many words for what looks like the same thing, but it's actually extremely precise. I guess it's like swearing - someone who's a wanker might be much the same as someone who's a tool, but the feeling and sentiment that the two words convey are subtly different, and that difference is important to take into account.

</geek>

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »

^
Love and Justice are “Essentially contested concepts”. When we learn what those words mean we take reference points from what our parents and teachers tell us are examples of Love and Justice. Because there is a general overall consistency with the family resemblance melting pot of examples they become meaningful as communal ideas. We continually relate these ideas back to reference points in our environment throughout our lives which confirm their usefulness to us (this does not necessarily confirm the truth content). When the reference points are not in the environment they become mushy because there is no internal Private language there keeping them in shape or providing a definite sense of "being actual." Essentially our memories are distorted by other information and need to be re-established and enforced.

bit of a tangent...
The reason why some ideas do seem to keep shape despite the lack of an internal language is because the reference points we are using are unknown to us… {When people meditate or go on a “walk-about” to find-out-who-they-are, they abandon a number of reference points and assume that what remains is actually what they are (or what it means to be alive). This in turn has led people to somewhat different conclusions about what-they-are depending on the reference points they retained. People communing with nature get different sensations to people who choose solitary environments etc. Even so, all of them have retained the internal bodily sensations which are probably the most enduring reference point anyone will have. Even then, many of these are subject to a degree of shift}   

The problem with abstractions is that it is possible to create grammatical confusion with them. This can happen, for instance, when a concept is mistaken for an object or a thing in itself (it can be more complicated than that). This means that it is possible to ask questions that don’t make logical sense but seemingly appear to make sense. I.e. what time is it on the sun? or what is the sound of one hand clapping? To create further problems you might try to use a concept as a fixed reference point to make further abstractions that could possibly even become self-referential as you try to pull your ideas together into a philosophical system.

Edit: I've not given this the kind of explanation it deserves but I'll leave it at that

Grim Tuesday

• The Pleonastic Rants of C.S. Daley
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2010, 10:57:02 AM »

God doesn't seem to believe in me. I have had no random miracles coming my way. So fuck it, I won't believe in god
The voices in my head are rude!
http://www.csdaley.com

cynthiaskeezy

« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »

Yes I believe in God but no certain religion.
Christine O'Donnell is just like me. She's a gay left-leaner who masturbates daily.

tanqgirl

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2010, 02:43:34 AM »

somewhat a shameless self promotion but not really self....

anyways my hubby is trying to write a book about our spiritual beliefs and he's having problems figuring out how to actually go about writing out this book so he started a blog where he will post about his ideas and would love questions, comments, anything if you guys are interested

http://landofwater.tumblr.com/

cynthiaskeezy

« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2010, 03:19:29 AM »

Totally off topic but your avatar is the shit.
Christine O'Donnell is just like me. She's a gay left-leaner who masturbates daily.

tanqgirl

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2010, 03:30:51 PM »

hahaha thanks, i found a wallpaper that said "tank girl" (obviously) and just "fixed" it in gimp

cynthiaskeezy

« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2010, 05:12:07 PM »

Tell your hubby to write about how:

-all religions are basically the same story with different characters
-religions start religious wars
-nobody died for atheism
-basically anything that has to do with religion is a fight waiting to happen. religious territory/terrorism/etc.

Vinny

• This time, it's personal.
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »

^ It's never that simple, Cynthia. If religions didn't answer to a basic human need (to be accepted, to believe there's meaning in their lives), none would exist. I particularly believe that even for those needs religion is not the ultimate, the only valid answer, but a lot of people do, and that's why they're still around. A lot of good has come from organized religions, only so much evil has come from it as well. Intolerance, racism, homophobia, religious wars, even deaths due to one's "personal belief", all of that was, at one point or the other, rooted in the most mainstream religions. So, like I said, it's complicated, while I do have an opinion on the whole subject (am proudly an atheist).
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

KC

tanqgirl

« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2010, 11:45:39 PM »

Tell your hubby to write about how:

-all religions are basically the same story with different characters
-religions start religious wars
-nobody died for atheism
-basically anything that has to do with religion is a fight waiting to happen. religious territory/terrorism/etc.

he definitely agrees with the fact that all religions are the same story with different characters..i think he would have updated his page more, but he got sick although i do think he just updated it some more
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All   Go Up