THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Poll

Do you believe in god or gods?

Certain that my god(s) exist(s)
- 9 (10.6%)
Strongly believe in some theism
- 9 (10.6%)
Lean towards theism
- 6 (7.1%)
True Agnostic (no idea!)
- 13 (15.3%)
Don't really believe
- 9 (10.6%)
Highly doubt
- 21 (24.7%)
Certain that there is no god or gods
- 18 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you believe in god? (not a debate thread)  (Read 19183 times)

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
Re: Do you believe in god? (not a debate thread)
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2010, 02:12:07 AM »

not all religions are the same story at all..... most modern western religions are somewhat similar because they all have the same archeological history (all based on assyric,akkadian, babylonian and mesopotamian beleifs)
there are other interesting religious convergences such as the paralells that can be drawn between christs sacrifice and that of Odin... the big difference was that Odin did it to himself to gain knowledge, and lost an eye over it. also worth looking up Mythraism...or the cult of mythras who was an old roman deity that had striking similarities with the christ story....just much older.....One could be forgiven for thinking that certain New testament writers deliberately used the Mythras story and drew parallels with Christs life to reinforce the idea of christ as a deity
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

85283-071

• tangentrification on a stick
  • M?ust We? Thro?b
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2010, 03:03:48 AM »

I do not believe there is an afterlife, nor do I believe this life is all there is.
...a little concerned about your sensibilities.

Haushinka

• finally fell in love with THE WORLD.
  • SHOVE IT SHOVE IT SHOVE IT.
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2010, 06:59:55 AM »

I believe in nothing.
Except that if there were a god or gods, things would be much better in this world.
Yoshiki Vázquez Baeza.
Future husband.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2010, 09:05:17 AM »

strangely scientists do NOT beleive in nothing.... and that Nothing in itself cannot actually exist
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

cynthiaskeezy

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2010, 09:54:43 PM »

Tell your hubby to write about how:

-all religions are basically the same story with different characters
-religions start religious wars
-nobody died for atheism
-basically anything that has to do with religion is a fight waiting to happen. religious territory/terrorism/etc.

he definitely agrees with the fact that all religions are the same story with different characters..i think he would have updated his page more, but he got sick although i do think he just updated it some more

LINKS.

I NEED A LINK
Christine O'Donnell is just like me. She's a gay left-leaner who masturbates daily.

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2010, 11:44:25 PM »

oops! forgive i thought i added one...i had intended on adding one but my brain is everywhere these days...

http://landofwater.tumblr.com/

cbkof

« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2010, 02:32:34 AM »

oops! forgive i thought i added one...i had intended on adding one but my brain is everywhere these days...

http://landofwater.tumblr.com/

Aside from believing in not believing I also believe in super-heroines, including Tank Girl and some of these:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/media/blogs/popculture/2010/04/kick-ass-killer-hit-girl-and-10-other-ruthless-heroines.html
what is Enoch Root? who is Jeff Lint?

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different burritos". -- Bob Einstein

simon tongue

« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2010, 12:25:56 PM »

I was bought up a Christian but am now a commited Athiest, if god does exist he is either very lazy or doesn't really care.

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2010, 12:43:15 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/7KnGNOiFll4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/7KnGNOiFll4</a>
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »

My favourite God quote...

“Everything you read signed "God" is just somebody putting their words in my mouth.”
God

Arianna

« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2010, 03:29:52 PM »

Most of my family is Christian, but my parents aren't, and when I was really little and spending lots of time with my grandma I used to go to the church and stuff, but I don't think I believed in any actual god - I was just a kid and liked the atmosphere in church, and thought prayers were magic spells or something  ;) When I grew up a bit, I got the idea that organised religion is based on lies and it's just some kind of a theater for people who have to believe in something, so I stopped going to church. And right now... I don't really know. I'm really interested in religions, like, they historical and cultural aspects, but I can't bring myself to believe in any, but on the other hand, I can't say that 'God doesn't exist', 'cause, how could I know that? Believing in non-existence of someone/something is also believing.

Soo, I just don't know. If I felt the urge to label myself somehow, I'd say it'll be agnosticism :P

1AC

« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2010, 09:09:53 PM »

My mom's side of the family has a strong belief in God, and my dad's side doesn't really, but I was raised Christian. I do believe in God, but now my belief is a lot less pronounced than it was before.
Surprisingly (to me anyway), I seem to be a lot happier without it.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2010, 12:37:28 AM »

My mom's side of the family has a strong belief in God, and my dad's side doesn't really, but I was raised Christian. I do believe in God, but now my belief is a lot less pronounced than it was before.
Surprisingly (to me anyway), I seem to be a lot happier without it.
Maybe...  God's still there, but "religion" isn't as much?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

1AC

« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2010, 02:27:42 AM »

My mom's side of the family has a strong belief in God, and my dad's side doesn't really, but I was raised Christian. I do believe in God, but now my belief is a lot less pronounced than it was before. Surprisingly (to me anyway), I seem to be a lot happier without it.
Maybe... God's still there, but "religion" isn't as much?
It took me a few minutes to figure out what the difference was. God's still there, but I don't know for sure if religion is not as much. I got a little lost because I'm not sure how to separate God from religion. I don't know if religion makes God or if God makes religion, and if religion isn't there do you still have the same God? I'm so tired (and confused... thanks). Haha, sleepy time.

Devery

• Tunnel-Visioneer
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »

I was raised to believe in Hank, but as I've gotten older I have completely rejected him.  I am really angry that I was brainwashed as a child and was made to feel "different" when I openly questioned his existence.  I present this little story about Hank and his disciples for those who may be going through the same things I did:

KISSING HANK'S ASS

by JHuger

This morning there was a knock at my door. When I answered the door I found a well groomed, nicely dressed couple. The man spoke first:

John: "Hi! I'm John, and this is Mary."

Mary: "Hi! We're here to invite you to come kiss Hank's ass with us."

Me:   "Pardon me?! What are you talking about? Who's Hank, and why would I want to kiss His ass?"

John: "If you kiss Hank's ass, He'll give you a million dollars; and if you don't, He'll kick the shit out of you."

Me:   "What? Is this some sort of bizarre mob shake-down?"

John: "Hank is a billionaire philanthropist. Hank built this town. Hank owns this town. He can do whatever He wants, and what He wants is to give you a million dollars, but He can't until you kiss His ass."

Me:   "That doesn't make any sense. Why..."

Mary: "Who are you to question Hank's gift? Don't you want a million dollars? Isn't it worth a little kiss on the ass?"

Me:   "Well maybe, if it's legit, but..."

John: "Then come kiss Hank's ass with us."

Me:   "Do you kiss Hank's ass often?"

Mary: "Oh yes, all the time..."

Me:   "And has He given you a million dollars?"

John: "Well no. You don't actually get the money until you leave town."

Me:   "So why don't you just leave town now?"

Mary: "You can't leave until Hank tells you to, or you don't get the money, and He kicks the shit out of you."

Me:   "Do you know anyone who kissed Hank's ass, left town, and got the million dollars?"

John: "My mother kissed Hank's ass for years. She left town last year, and I'm sure she got the money."

Me:   "Haven't you talked to her since then?"

John: "Of course not, Hank doesn't allow it."

Me:   "So what makes you think He'll actually give you the money if you've never talked to anyone who got the money?"

Mary: "Well, He gives you a little bit before you leave. Maybe you'll get a raise, maybe you'll win a small lotto, maybe you'll just find a twenty-dollar bill on the street."

Me:   "What's that got to do with Hank?"

John: "Hank has certain 'connections.'"

Me:   "I'm sorry, but this sounds like some sort of bizarre con game."

John: "But it's a million dollars, can you really take the chance? And remember, if you don't kiss Hank's ass He'll kick the shit out of you."

Me:   "Maybe if I could see Hank, talk to Him, get the details straight from Him..."

Mary: "No one sees Hank, no one talks to Hank."

Me:   "Then how do you kiss His ass?"

John: "Sometimes we just blow Him a kiss, and think of His ass. Other times we kiss Karl's ass, and he passes it on."

Me:   "Who's Karl?"

Mary: "A friend of ours. He's the one who taught us all about kissing Hank's ass. All we had to do was take him out to dinner a few times."

Me:   "And you just took his word for it when he said there was a Hank, that Hank wanted you to kiss His ass, and that Hank would reward you?"

John: "Oh no! Karl has a letter he got from Hank years ago explaining the whole thing. Here's a copy; see for yourself."

From the Desk of Karl
Kiss Hank's ass and He'll give you a million dollars when you leave town.
Use alcohol in moderation.
Kick the shit out of people who aren't like you.
Eat right.
Hank dictated this list Himself.
The moon is made of green cheese.
Everything Hank says is right.
Wash your hands after going to the bathroom.
Don't use alcohol.
Eat your wieners on buns, no condiments.
Kiss Hank's ass or He'll kick the shit out of you.

Me:   "This appears to be written on Karl's letterhead."

Mary: "Hank didn't have any paper."

Me:   "I have a hunch that if we checked we'd find this is Karl's handwriting."

John: "Of course, Hank dictated it."

Me:   "I thought you said no one gets to see Hank?"

Mary: "Not now, but years ago He would talk to some people."

Me:   "I thought you said He was a philanthropist. What sort of philanthropist kicks the shit out of people just because they're different?"

Mary: "It's what Hank wants, and Hank's always right."

Me:   "How do you figure that?"

Mary: "Item 7 says 'Everything Hank says is right.' That's good enough for me!"

Me:   "Maybe your friend Karl just made the whole thing up."

John: "No way! Item 5 says 'Hank dictated this list himself.' Besides, item 2 says 'Use alcohol in moderation,' Item 4 says 'Eat right,' and item 8 says 'Wash your hands after going to the bathroom.' Everyone knows those things are right, so the rest must be true, too."

Me:   "But 9 says 'Don't use alcohol.' which doesn't quite go with item 2, and 6 says 'The moon is made of green cheese,' which is just plain wrong."

John: "There's no contradiction between 9 and 2, 9 just clarifies 2. As far as 6 goes, you've never been to the moon, so you can't say for sure."

Me:   "Scientists have pretty firmly established that the moon is made of rock..."

Mary: "But they don't know if the rock came from the Earth, or from out of space, so it could just as easily be green cheese."

Me:   "I'm not really an expert, but I think the theory that the Moon was somehow 'captured' by the Earth has been discounted*. Besides, not knowing where the rock came from doesn't make it cheese."

John: "Ha! You just admitted that scientists make mistakes, but we know Hank is always right!"

Me:   "We do?"

Mary: "Of course we do, Item 7 says so."

Me:   "You're saying Hank's always right because the list says so, the list is right because Hank dictated it, and we know that Hank dictated it because the list says so. That's circular logic, no different than saying 'Hank's right because He says He's right.'"

John: "Now you're getting it! It's so rewarding to see someone come around to Hank's way of thinking."

Me:   "But...oh, never mind. What's the deal with wieners?"

Mary: She blushes.

John: "Wieners, in buns, no condiments. It's Hank's way. Anything else is wrong."

Me:   "What if I don't have a bun?"

John: "No bun, no wiener. A wiener without a bun is wrong."

Me:   "No relish? No Mustard?"

Mary: She looks positively stricken.

John: He's shouting. "There's no need for such language! Condiments of any kind are wrong!"

Me:   "So a big pile of sauerkraut with some wieners chopped up in it would be out of the question?"

Mary: Sticks her fingers in her ears."I am not listening to this. La la la, la la, la la la."

John: "That's disgusting. Only some sort of evil deviant would eat that..."

Me:   "It's good! I eat it all the time."

Mary: She faints.

John: He catches Mary. "Well, if I'd known you were one of those I wouldn't have wasted my time. When Hank kicks the shit out of you I'll be there, counting my money and laughing. I'll kiss Hank's ass for you, you bunless cut-wienered kraut-eater."

With this, John dragged Mary to their waiting car, and sped off.

"The world is going to hell in a hand-basket, but it sure is nice up here on the hill."   A. Kujawa
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  All   Go Up