THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pop Music.  (Read 14111 times)

Darkness

• God dammit they stole my kidney!
  • This is the greatest and best song in the world.
Re: Pop Music.
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 04:20:32 PM »

Any good song only needs 3 chords.

And that's my entire argument, right there. The idea of a 'good song' has now become so simplified the real possibilities of music have become somewhat lost.

Candy mountain doesn't sound too fun. But DEEP FRIEND SPAGHETTI WITH A GALLON OF MELTED CANNABIS BUTTER SLATHERED ALL OVER IT TOPPED OFF WITH BACON BITS AND DEEP FRIEND MAYO sounds GRRREAT!

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 10:30:40 AM »

I don't think the 4 chord syndrome really has anything to do with the decline of pop music. I think the problem really lies with the over-production, lack of soul and the attention being focused on the look of people instead of the sound of the music they make.

I foung THIS ARTICLE most informative.... 
(Listen to the audio, it's only about 8 minutes.)

Oh yes, i know all about this one. I have gotten on many a soapbox, and cited this very link. What I am saying here is not even taking that travesty into account. Hell, a bad mastering job is not going to make a crappy pop song any worse!
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 11:48:08 AM »

I don't bother with pop, personally - I mean as a concept. As a genre, obviously you can't get away from it, but it seems we're talking more about the concept of pop music rather than just-

My dad's laptop just crashed out Biffy Clyro at full volume - I fucking love my dad. I just needed to share that in the instance that it happened. Now back to pop xD

- a type of music. I mean, people like the Beatles and the Beach Boys and stuff are superpop genre-wise, but they're obviously not what we're talking about here. When it comes to that concept, the problem is that music has become an industry and a business rather than an art; it's like the lovely Old Man Muffin Jar said, the focus has shifted.

Though, being a music tech student, I'd say there's nothing wrong with heaps and heaps of production xD

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 12:56:11 PM »

And that's my entire argument, right there. The idea of a 'good song' has now become so simplified the real possibilities of music have become somewhat lost.

Now? go listen to some old blues or folk recordings from the 1920s.

#@!

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 10:37:44 AM »

#@!
I don't care if it is prog rock with tons of time and key changes, or a 2 chord wonder. The only thing that matters is that the people delivering the music it do it with feeling and style.

I have heard people say prog is soulless, and it sure CAN be. But listen to Magma and Banco and there is plenty of soul in that complex music.

I have heard some classical musicians and prog fans declare Punk and Rap music to be anti-music. I call bullshit on that too. They are missing the point.

Pop sure can be pointless and soulless most of the time, but then every once in a while folks like Peter Gabriel come along and make artful pop music.

Formula, posing and faking is the anti-rock to me. Long live rock.
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

Darkness

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 05:34:41 PM »

Yes, no doubt. But the greater the variety within a song, the more opportunity the artist gives themselves to communicate feeling. Repetition is a natural enemy to music in some cases.

Candy mountain doesn't sound too fun. But DEEP FRIEND SPAGHETTI WITH A GALLON OF MELTED CANNABIS BUTTER SLATHERED ALL OVER IT TOPPED OFF WITH BACON BITS AND DEEP FRIEND MAYO sounds GRRREAT!

$ethie

• Fo' five dollahs, I'll suck yo
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 05:54:26 PM »

#@!
I don't care if it is prog rock with tons of time and key changes, or a 2 chord wonder. The only thing that matters is that the people delivering the music it do it with feeling and style.

I have heard people say prog is soulless, and it sure CAN be. But listen to Magma and Banco and there is plenty of soul in that complex music.

I have heard some classical musicians and prog fans declare Punk and Rap music to be anti-music. I call bullshit on that too. They are missing the point.

Pop sure can be pointless and soulless most of the time, but then every once in a while folks like Lady GaGa come along and make artful pop music.

Formula, posing and faking is the anti-rock to me. Long live GaGa.
Quote from: .cadenza.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~

Johnny

• Get your leather on
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 06:04:05 PM »

for the first time..ever really, I've started to like pop music.
mostly gaga.
well, exclusively gaga.
I don't have low self esteem. I just have low esteem for everyone else.

tw2113

• Agent Semi-Intelligent
  • Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    • Michaelbox dot Net
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 06:12:12 PM »

I like select songs and sometimes pop bands from other countries
There comes times in every man's life, where he must urinate. For me, now is one of those times, excuse me

$ethie

• Fo' five dollahs, I'll suck yo
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 06:15:41 AM »

mostly gaga.
well, exclusively gaga.

Once you like gaga, it's only a small step to Ke$ha.
Quote from: .cadenza.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~

Darkness

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 06:26:03 AM »

mostly gaga.
well, exclusively gaga.

And then the damage is truly irreversible.

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 06:07:30 PM »

mostly gaga.
well, exclusively gaga.

Lady Gaga is a gateway drug.
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

Darkness

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 06:29:25 PM »

mostly gaga.
well, exclusively gaga.

Lady Gaga is a gateway drug.

Truer words have never been spoken.

MerelyMarquis

• Are you satisfied?
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 06:47:31 AM »

Marina & the Diamonds (it's just her) is definitely a pop musician but she's very precise about her music and how she works with producers. I usually prefer lyrics to music because I don't have a tuned ear, and Marina's lyrics range from critiques of the music industry, and social commentaries to more personal songs. For me, she's really given pop a lot more credibility in that it can mean something.

Darkness

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 07:38:39 AM »

Marina & the Diamonds (it's just her) is definitely a pop musician but she's very precise about her music and how she works with producers. I usually prefer lyrics to music because I don't have a tuned ear, and Marina's lyrics range from critiques of the music industry, and social commentaries to more personal songs. For me, she's really given pop a lot more credibility in that it can mean something.

I admire people like this, that try and bring credibility and originality to the industry. It makes it even sadder when the majority of the pop industry disregard people like this and the household names are usually those four-chord artists.

Sometimes I wish I could jam with Beethoven.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8  All   Go Up