THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pop Music.  (Read 14313 times)

Darkness

• God dammit they stole my kidney!
  • This is the greatest and best song in the world.
Re: Pop Music.
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2010, 05:06:57 PM »

The question now is,

Where do we go from here? Does music become a great big circle and we start composing fugues and motets again?

Candy mountain doesn't sound too fun. But DEEP FRIEND SPAGHETTI WITH A GALLON OF MELTED CANNABIS BUTTER SLATHERED ALL OVER IT TOPPED OFF WITH BACON BITS AND DEEP FRIEND MAYO sounds GRRREAT!

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2010, 05:26:56 PM »

the vocoder's use in popular music is approaching the 40-year mark. they're part of the musical landscape now. I don't know if quantized vocals (aka the AutoTune Robot effect) will have the same staying power.

I hope not, though.

#@!

The vocoder has been around for a while but I'm noticing altered vocals a lot more these days regardless of what was used to produce the effect. I think that modest application of these types of audio processing can provide songs with distinctiveness that adds to timelessness. However, if a lot of artistes are using the same tricks the advantage is lost.

Oh, and yes, quantized vocals are pretty annoying now that it's become a fad. I’m guessing it is partly because auto-tuning hardware + software is cheaper and easier to play around with these days. The ease with which the effect can be applied combined with its novelty would suggest to me that people are quite likely to be calling it dated at some point. Having said that, it depends if people on the whole care about something being dated. Perhaps music is getting less linear (developing less over time-spans and recycling ideas from an eclectic pool of ideas) nowadays? I don't know.

The question now is,

Where do we go from here? Does music become a great big circle and we start composing fugues and motets again?

On the contrary, we begin the quest for the finest arrangement of 140 notes. It’s as easy as DNA.

tw2113

• Agent Semi-Intelligent
  • Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    • Michaelbox dot Net
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2010, 06:27:11 PM »

I'm always bickering with a friend about autotune. I'm against it, she's for it.
There comes times in every man's life, where he must urinate. For me, now is one of those times, excuse me

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2010, 06:54:19 PM »

I'm always bickering with a friend about autotune. I'm against it, she's for it.
Used as a deliberate effect (in moderation) => fine

Used to hide the fact that [pop starlet du jour] can't carry a tune in a bucket,
and just assuming people can't tell the difference => needs to stop...
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

cynthiaskeezy

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2010, 09:55:16 PM »

I love pop music but I totally agree that it's gone to SHIT.
Disappointed  >:(
Christine O'Donnell is just like me. She's a gay left-leaner who masturbates daily.

Vinny

• This time, it's personal.
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2010, 10:12:37 PM »

Let me try and sum up my views in a simplified manner.

^ This good.

^ This bad.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

KC

To err do-heinous-shit is human, to forgive let-the-bastards-get-away-with-it divine....

cynthiaskeezy

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2010, 10:13:28 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^  O0

BIG TIME
Christine O'Donnell is just like me. She's a gay left-leaner who masturbates daily.

FrailAndBedazzled

• Eyesight to the Blind
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2010, 11:49:04 AM »

I can respect a fantastic voice, even if I don't like the music (good morning, Beyonce). 

But if I'm going to listen to pop, it had better be distinguished from the rest of its genre by SOMETHING.  Pink has more of a pop-rock style and that raspy-edged voice, which I like.  GaGa is fucking insane and only does Auto-Tune for effect; also, she is never afraid to go balls-to-the-wall on the vocals, which a lot of people (pop stars or not) tend to back away from. 

Katy Perry needs to be shot repeatedly in the face.
Quote from: Fear And Loathing
I'll change my name to Mavis Diles when I'm 70, smoke cigarettes with a really long holder, and play a giant pipe organ in my backyard.

If you did it, say you did it
If you didn't, suck it up and say you did

cynthiaskeezy

« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »

tw2113

• Agent Semi-Intelligent
  • Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    • Michaelbox dot Net
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2010, 01:21:51 AM »

i can think of some good personal preference things that she'd be good for that don't include singing. But that is more for the "people you'd like to bang" thread.
There comes times in every man's life, where he must urinate. For me, now is one of those times, excuse me

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2010, 03:23:10 AM »

i hate auto tune, if you cant sing get the FUCK out of the business, i dont care how entertaining some 14 year olds think you are...if you cant play your instrument also GTFO

pop music of today has done nothing but turned something beautiful into absolute shit, i cant stand being in stores that play pop music channels (including the one i work in, i try to keep my headphones on if i have to be on the sales floor) we WILL NOT listen to radio stations in our home unless its classical music or something similar

also i dont care if your singing is decent if you use it to sing shit (that means you christina and beyonce) i also HATE HATE HATE when people say things like "omg so-n-so is SUCH a good singer!!" and they are complete crap...just because some can carry a tune doesnt make them a good singer...although if they person has brilliant lyrics i will lay off their singing a bit

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2010, 08:23:37 AM »

^^ I do music tech at college, and I can tell you that the people who use auto-tune are WAY more than the idiot popstars you're thinking of. Yes, it's horrible when you hear it done to death, but I've used it a few times on my own vocals - almost everybody does, tbh. As for people who can't sing, almost all the groups I like can't sing - Neutral Milk Hotel, anyone? Or pretty much any punk band ever? What pisses me the fuck off is this incredibly rigid idea of what a "good" voice is - Guy Garvey would never win like X Factor or something, but he's got one of the most beautiful, gorgeous voices in the business. Unfortunately, he sings high and in his own accent HORROR HORROR HORROR.

There are a LOT of things about pop music that I really like - mostly the music, as opposed to the lyrics and the vocals, tbh. The good stuff is sooo good, but it's like any other genre - there will always be really shitty elements within it, whether it's production effects or whole groups that suck. With the lyrics and things, I guess it's like stories - there's really only so many thing to say in the world, you can't blame people for repeating the sentiment. The fucktard thing is that they don't repeat the sentiment, they repeat the phraseology word for fucking word, and that's where it all falls down. The sentiment of "I broke my heart" can be said in so much more of a gorgeous way, like, "My heart just burst like a glass balloon" *dribble* xD

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2010, 02:10:12 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, Autotune The News:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xVWyjSDg2Yo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xVWyjSDg2Yo</a>
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

cynthiaskeezy

« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2010, 09:06:13 PM »

Does anyone have anything to say anything about the whole Lady Gaga discussion Amanda Palmer had on twitter last night?

I'd like to say that Justin Bieber is a douche bag who needs to stop trending on twitter. 10 year olds shouldn't be allowed to have one.
Lady Gaga- I have mixed feelings

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2010, 01:21:48 AM »

to indja: it's one thing to use auto tune as an added effect which many artists have done, it's totally different when almost all singers now a days NEED to use it so that it sorta sounds like they can hit the right notes...also i'm just kinda getting sick of that whole thing (unless it's in dance/techno/electronica because then it makes sense since it's ya know electronic) i just dont understand why people all the sudden think it's the shit, if you cant sing then you cant sing to bad, granted as i said before if you have lyrics that make up for it then awesome i dont care, but if you're a shit singer with shit lyrics, then you honestly should not be a musician no please go away

CeeGBee: that is fucking hilarious, and i approve the use of auto tune there

cynthiaskeezy: i totally skimmed through it but i'm not surprised she did it because she's a pop idol who is being used to sell shit music, why not use her to sell shit products
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  All   Go Up