THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Genealogy & Family History  (Read 4399 times)

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

Genealogy & Family History
« on: February 15, 2010, 10:01:11 AM »

Is anyone else interested in this? please? no one else shares this with me.

this is part of my tree (a very small part):

i've been focused on my dad's side mostly recently because it's easier.
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: Genealogy & Family History
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 02:01:55 PM »

Sorry, you have to look at all of 'em, not just the exciting and/or easy-to-track...

Besides, you never know when something really cool will turn up.
Still, you've made a really good start there.  Do you have more information on all
those people, or just names/dates? 

Is Costa a really common name?  I notice it shows up in three different places
four generations back... (or did everyone marry thier cousins?)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:29:53 PM »

heh, i know. i've been working on it for 2 and a half years now. i've got, i think, about 3000 names in the tree. i would say about 2000, though, are not quite my own work; i got lucky early on and found someone else's research who i shared an ancestor with.

and i have tonnss of information on the people.

this is the profile page for one of them:

about the surname Costa:
Both of my paternal grandparents' grandparents all came from the same island, Sao Miguel, in the Azores. I don't know how common the different names are, but I know that the first names are even less diverse; every single one of my grandmothers is named some form of Maria. My grandpa had 7 aunts named Maria on his mom's side.

about researching everything:

since my dad's side is all from one location, it's easier for me to focus on this first. I also found a great group researching the same area which is nice. I've gotten really far on my mom's side, too, but it's frustrating for a number of reason.
1, they come from multiple countries.
2, i have less living relatives on that side.
3, my mom's mother was abandoned by her mother, who was a whore, apparently. there's no father on her birth certificate (which i had to go to great lengths to acquire) and i found out that she had four other children my nana never knew about, all by nameless men. as for her mother, there is no trace of her after 1930, and I have no idea where she went.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:49:10 PM »

Maternal lines are always harder, just because paternal lines (in European tradition) generally
keep the family name.... and that's before one gets into situations like your ggm's.

...but 3000 names?  I have a number of friends who would be very jealous.

In my own family, someone tracked my mother's father's family back to the German immigrant
who came to the US in the early 18th Century, and printed up a spiral-bound copy of the list
for each branch of the family.  The rest of the family is far less researched; I have my parents,
obviously, and their parents, and their parents, but after that the list gets a little spotty....

I can tell you which of my however-many-great grandfathers served in our Civil War (this might
as well be required by law in the southern US), and what states they lived in.  I can tell you my
ancestors came from Scotland, Ireland (probably, but that bunch may have been from western
Scotland as well), Germany and France, oh the shame...
There's a story on my father's side that one of his ancestors was Cherokee; this is quite possibly
a fabrication, but no one's researched it to prove one way or the other.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »

being adopted, i have no idea where to even start looking for history.....

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 05:37:45 PM »

At the risk of stating the obvious: your adoption records.  In many states (dunno about AL
specifically) the regulations slant waaaaay toward "mother's privacy", which can make for
a real headache getting past that first hurdle, but it's generally not-impossible.

There are myriad "support groups" and online research-helpers...  Some are useful, some are
useless, and some are just scammers trying to get you to pay for "research services"...

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 05:51:26 PM »

My aunt has covered my Dads side of the family but I’ve never seen any of it. One line supposedly goes back to one of the Old Irish monarchs.

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »

My aunt has covered my Dads side of the family but I’ve never seen any of it. One line supposedly goes back to one of the Old Irish monarchs.

Ooh which one? I hope it was Medb, she was badass.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 06:42:34 PM »

Ooh which one? I hope it was Medb, she was badass.

I must confess that I don't actually know. I've asked my Dad about this a few times but he can never remember the details. I'll make sure he asks and writes it down next time he speaks to her (or possibly the other uncle who knows).

buttercup.

• the girl you have in that merry green land...
  • ...can wait forever for you to come home.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 06:53:10 PM »

Our family tree consists of three recipe boxes, where index cards list the names of mostly French, some English, and few German people. My grandmother did do up an album with some of them, including the last entry, a toddler named "Mallie". Which is me, supposedly.

She's actually on a family tree kick right now, paying lots of money to a website that says we're related to a bunch of famous people.

On my fathers side is an extensive Irish-Farm line that goes back to many "happy" evil looking nine-kids-and-counting families in black and white peeling photos which I love.

So, yeah. Eventually I'd like to put it all together in neat albums. But I wont do it online. I'm old-fashioned like that.

The only famousish one I'm sure of is that most of my mothers side came on the boat that was right after the Mayflower. I bragged about that in fifth grade.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 08:40:30 PM »

At the risk of stating the obvious: your adoption records.  In many states (dunno about AL
specifically) the regulations slant waaaaay toward "mother's privacy", which can make for
a real headache getting past that first hurdle, but it's generally not-impossible.

There are myriad "support groups" and online research-helpers...  Some are useful, some are
useless, and some are just scammers trying to get you to pay for "research services"...
been there; done that; i'm on a couple of search lists and i even have my own 'search angel.'  i know my birth mother's name and my original name and so on; it is a matter of finding a person, right now.  my state is louisiana, however, which is considered one of the 'difficult' ones, so my forged birth certificate is the only one i am allowed to see.  alabama actually has unsealed the records, probably ten years ago, but i wasnt adopted here.

overratedtoejam

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 08:45:20 PM »

i've tried this so many times, but it's never been able to find any of my family.

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 11:46:54 PM »

i've tried this so many times, but it's never been able to find any of my family.

what do you mean by it? you aren't likely to find any distant cousins until you get a few generations back. i got lucky once or twice but most of the work has to be done in person, talking to family and going to archives.
amanda, 2005-04-15

overratedtoejam

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 11:53:01 PM »

what do you mean by it? you aren't likely to find any distant cousins until you get a few generations back. i got lucky once or twice but most of the work has to be done in person, talking to family and going to archives.

damn, i thought it had a database from censuses and shit like that.

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 11:57:31 PM »

damn, i thought it had a database from censuses and shit like that.

It does, but it's not perfect. Like I said, you do sometimes get lucky. But some families just don't come up on the census. I've found most of my ancestors who are supposed to be on censuses on their censuses, but some have been hard to find and some haven't been on there.
amanda, 2005-04-15
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up