THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam Punk  (Read 11281 times)

Grim Tuesday

• The Pleonastic Rants of C.S. Daley
Re: Steam Punk
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2010, 11:08:19 AM »

I am a huge Steampunk fan.  I am writing my new novel as a steampunk book set in New York.  I am loving the process.  The worlds you can create are so much fun.
The voices in my head are rude!
http://www.csdaley.com

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 12:01:52 PM »

did you know that the Empire State building was designed for mooring airships?
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010, 12:34:22 PM »

did you know that the Empire State building was designed for mooring airships?
I seem to recall hearing that, but I was never quite sure if it was true, or
simply something clever thought of by someone with a good imagination....
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 02:34:09 AM »

nope it really was.... and then the whole airship thing went out the window when the hindenburg crashed....I think it was a beutiful way to travel....luxury liners of of sky...not massively fast but graceful....there is some marvelous science fiction from the 1900s all about airships
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 12:15:39 PM »

nope it really was.... and then the whole airship thing went out the window when the hindenburg crashed....I think it was a beutiful way to travel....luxury liners of of sky...not massively fast but graceful....there is some marvelous science fiction from the 1900s all about airships
There has been some talk of reviving it.  It's slower, and far more weather-sensitive than fixed-wing
air travel, but it's also far less susceptible to catastrophic mass-casualty technical difficulties.  (Keep
in mind that Hindenburg was filled with hydrogen, and coated with a sealer that closely resembled
thermite in its composition, both of which conditions have since been corrected.)  It's still faster than
taking train or bus, and I suspect it'd just be a matter of finding enough start-up money...

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 12:44:48 PM »

...although i would rather pilot a motorcycle than a dirigible.  but there are always ultralights.....

we could, perhaps, slap some wings on this thing:

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 12:46:42 PM »

...although i would rather pilot a motorcycle than a dirigible.  but there are always ultralights.....
Ever actually flown an airship?  It might be the ultimate transcendent experience...
(Okay, probably not, but it's probably pretty cool....)

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2010, 12:49:50 PM »

i'm pretty sure that a motorcycle is the ultimate transcendent experience.  hence the novel, 'zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.'  i myself never read it, it's boring as hell.  so you know it must be awesome.

besides, how cool are these?

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »

:o

How many of those actually run?

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2010, 08:43:46 PM »

:o

How many of those actually run?
i'm given to understand all of them do, although one is actually electric, and the steam that blows out of it is for effect.  then again, my own gas-powered bike could eat any one of these within the first five seconds of the race (not to mention dominate as far as distance, comfort, and power), so, yanno.  the red-framed one is actually an 80-something honda moped that's been gutted and re-worked to run on steam, if i am not mistaken.  steam just doesn't make for a very fast or effective motor transport, however, so for the time being i will stick with spewing long-chain fluorocarbons into the air, and getting fifty mpg, and a hundred fifty miles to the tank, and i won't worry about looking cool because i already do.

the one on the bottom looks pretty amazing to look at, but it also looks like a bitch to try to steer.  and the guy sitting on it is begging for a crash, what with those tails being a threat to get caught in his chain.  not to mention if he goes over five miles per hour, he's going to lose that stupid top hat, unless he sensibly glues it to a helmet, and my money says probably that will not happen.

but, in the meantime, i might mod my little ole 500 honda shadow, if i find the time, and someone who can do the welding and junk who's reliable enough to get what i want done within the year.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 11:36:42 PM »

but, in the meantime, i might mod my little ole 500 honda shadow, if i find the time, and someone who can do the welding and junk who's reliable enough to get what i want done within the year.
I thought you did your own ironwork....   No?

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2010, 10:40:37 AM »

i can blacksmith, yes.  but i have no forge, and i don't weld, at least not well enough to trust myself to 90 mph.  when there is boring manual labor to do, i get a guy on that for me.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2010, 01:02:59 PM »

i can blacksmith, yes.  but i have no forge, and i don't weld, at least not well enough to trust myself to 90 mph.  when there is boring manual labor to do, i get a guy on that for me.
Seems like the sort of thing that could be arranged on a cashless quid pro quo basis...

Surely there's a welder out there somewhere who wants to get a tattoo....

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2010, 03:36:14 PM »

Seems like the sort of thing that could be arranged on a cashless quid pro quo basis...

well yeah, i don't pay cash for mechanic work or construction or roofing or armor building or anything to do with manual labor i don't feel like doing.  not when there are so many idle guys hanging around with experience, and blank arms.

although i pay ex post facto.  nothing more annoying or messy than repo-ing a tattoo.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2010, 08:33:29 PM »

well yeah, i don't pay cash for mechanic work or construction or roofing or armor building or anything to do with manual labor i don't feel like doing.  not when there are so many idle guys hanging around with experience, and blank arms.

although i pay ex post facto.  nothing more annoying or messy than repo-ing a tattoo.
...but after the first time, you'd probably never have to do it again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up