THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam Punk  (Read 11022 times)

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
Re: Steam Punk
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2010, 03:03:44 AM »

but, in the meantime, i might mod my little ole 500 honda shadow, if i find the time, and someone who can do the welding and junk who's reliable enough to get what i want done within the year.
I thought you did your own ironwork....   No?
i can blacksmith, yes.  but i have no forge, and i don't weld, at least not well enough to trust myself to 90 mph.  when there is boring manual labor to do, i get a guy on that for me.
Seems like the sort of thing that could be arranged on a cashless quid pro quo basis...

Surely there's a welder out there somewhere who wants to get a tattoo....
well yeah, i don't pay cash for mechanic work or construction or roofing or armor building or anything to do with manual labor i don't feel like doing.  not when there are so many idle guys hanging around with experience, and blank arms.

although i pay ex post facto.  nothing more annoying or messy than repo-ing a tattoo.
...but after the first time, you'd probably never have to do it again.
you and i both know this world does not work like that.....it would only work for people who learn from other's mistakes....

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »

but, in the meantime, i might mod my little ole 500 honda shadow, if i find the time, and someone who can do the welding and junk who's reliable enough to get what i want done within the year.
i can blacksmith, yes.  but i have no forge, and i don't weld, at least not well enough to trust myself to 90 mph.  when there is boring manual labor to do, i get a guy on that for me.
Seems like the sort of thing that could be arranged on a cashless quid pro quo basis...

well yeah, i don't pay cash for mechanic work or construction or roofing or armor building or anything to do with manual labor i don't feel like doing.  not when there are so many idle guys hanging around with experience, and blank arms.

although i pay ex post facto.  nothing more annoying or messy than repo-ing a tattoo.
you and i both know this world does not work like that.....it would only work for people who learn from other's mistakes....
I thik it all depends on how you display the one you had to get back...
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2010, 02:31:53 PM »

I thik it all depends on how you display the one you had to get back...
i think whether or not i go to prison depends also on the same.....

hmmmmm...........i'm trying to build a functional steampunk tattoo machine, probably for display mostly, speaking of display, but it keeps getting too big to use functionally with any sort of comfort....

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2010, 02:43:43 PM »

hmmmmm...........i'm trying to build a functional steampunk tattoo machine, probably for display mostly, speaking of display, but it keeps getting too big to use functionally with any sort of comfort....
I think what you're missing is that a tattoo machine is damn near steampunk already.....
It's very "mechanical" looking, with pointy bits, and curved bits and cylinders and rods
and things that do.... something....  (I assume you know what, as you work with the
darn thing, but outside folk have no clue...)

Maybe if you could find a way for it to emit the occasional puff of model-railroad smoke...
...and make a more imposing noise...  something with a rattle and/or clank-factor.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2010, 02:33:12 AM »

the thing to do would be to attatch tubes to the machine that link to some sort of typrwriter/ engine hybrid machine that does all the clanking and steaming
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2010, 03:02:39 AM »

i already run them with a silver contact screw and a high enough setting that i get a good sized blue or white spark in the back.  i think if i could make that spark into an arc, add some extra brass plates, and of course attach the requisite unrelated tesla coil or lightning ball to the top of the power supply, we might be all set....

then again, the trick might be to rig a bike chain or gear crank, and have the actual machine itself not dependent on electricity, but gets its rotary or repeating electromagnet from elsewhere and runs on a sort of rotary shaft, like a dremel flex-shaft.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2010, 09:15:57 PM »

i already run them with a silver contact screw and a high enough setting that i get a good sized blue or white spark in the back.  i think if i could make that spark into an arc, add some extra brass plates, and of course attach the requisite unrelated tesla coil or lightning ball to the top of the power supply, we might be all set....

then again, the trick might be to rig a bike chain or gear crank, and have the actual machine itself not dependent on electricity, but gets its rotary or repeating electromagnet from elsewhere and runs on a sort of rotary shaft, like a dremel flex-shaft.
...all rigged to an antique foot-powered dentist's drill.....    :o

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:10 PM »

okay, i have to have this drill.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »

okay, i have to have this drill.
Well, it's just as it appears (and on thinking about it, the sort of thing steampunk is all about)...
There's a foot pedal that turns a flywheel which turns, by way of pulleys, wheels and belts, a
detatchable-bit drill...  Certainly an improvement over purely-hand-operated drills, at perhaps
a few thousand rpm, it still compares poorly with modern 400K-800K rpm models...

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2010, 12:37:03 AM »

well and we're only poking someone three k a minute with a tattoo machine, anyway.  we dont want to set them on fire.

the first tattoo machine was made out of a modded stencil making machine that edison built, modded by a guy named samuel o'reilly.  it looks pretty damn steampunk already.  and, it dates 1890's as well.  so, yanno.  i could find me one of those, or steal it from the museum or whatever.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2010, 01:02:49 AM »

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2010, 02:34:59 AM »

cbkof

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2010, 11:49:36 PM »

And while you're riding that you can wear this:

what is Enoch Root? who is Jeff Lint?

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different burritos". -- Bob Einstein

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2010, 01:33:01 AM »

^ steampunk Gimp....   ;D   :evil7:

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2010, 07:59:26 AM »

have you hear of steamcrunk?
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up