do you know for a fact, if database conversion(s) are necessary?
Some, yes. Indexes are created for some tables, some tables' type are modified and other things like those. Everything is done by their script and it backups your database before the processes begins. However, they recommend backing up your files and database on your own too.
The process, basically, is this:
- Download Large Upgrade from their page
- Untar/unzip/unwhataver the file keeping the structure
- Upload them to your server. Overwrite anything.
- Check permissions to those file needed to the upgrade
- Go to shadowbox.net/upgrade.php (for exampĺe)
- Read instructions.
- Run the script
- Hopefully, get rid of the bots.
In my case Im doing the same process as the box did - going out from software B to A. So there are many more changes to be done than there is here. For example, to test my regular expressions (regarded to how the quote's link is build) I used some links (the text. like, author=lentower link=topic=11024.msg321318#msg321318 date=126997551.