THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: mathematics = art  (Read 4634 times)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
mathematics = art
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:32:44 PM »

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
Re: mathematics = art
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:52:40 PM »

Damn. That's fucking exquisite.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 02:54:49 AM »

doing 3d graphics definitely gives a new respect for mathematic repetitions
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 03:42:14 AM »

Ah… The Fibonacci sequence and the resultant Golden Ratio.

Is this post inspired by the fractions thread and the mention of irrational numbers?

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »

no; i just came across that clip yesterday at io9.

#@!

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 04:25:12 PM »

I haven't watched the clip because I'm watching something else, but in my philosophy class we have a huge picture of... that really big important thing Einstein did. Theory of Relativity?? Anyway, we've got a massive picture of the equation on our wall because we don't understand it so it just looks like really beautiful squiggles and doodles. 's ace.

Tiervexx

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »

very good video.  I'm surprised they did not bother to show how often the golden ratio appears in the human body (among all others).

It's a very important ratio in geometry and therefore mechanics.  We did some proofs with it in my advanced calculus class.  The wikipedia page on it is worth checking out.  It shows how to derive it among other things.  It is precisely equal to (1+sqr(5))/2  Where sqr means square root.

...While watching this video I wondered if it is possible to have an opposite of the golden ratio... the golden ratio is very pleasing to our eyes but can there be ratios that are specifically disturbing?

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 04:22:51 AM »

ahh the Lovecraftian ratio! where the angles are all wrong and it cannot be looked at directly without going mad
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Tiervexx

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 06:31:51 PM »

ahh the Lovecraftian ratio! where the angles are all wrong and it cannot be looked at directly without going mad

I don't think it exists but I'd love to be the one to derive it...  Einstein was the first to show (theoretically, not experimentally) that certain circumstances might cause deviations in Euclidean geometry.

I'm still teaching myself mathematics.  One day, when I know a lot more about super advanced geometry I might try to find a way to make some really perplexing objects.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 06:34:25 PM »

I don't think it exists but I'd love to be the one to derive it...  Einstein was the first to show (theoretically, not experimentally) that certain circumstances might cause deviations in Euclidean geometry.

I'm still teaching myself mathematics.  One day, when I know a lot more about super advanced geometry I might try to find a way to make some really perplexing objects.

Bistromathics
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 06:48:06 PM »

I thought that was going to explain the whole beer-goggles phenomenon.  :D

#@!

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 11:51:33 PM »

I thought that was going to explain the whole beer-goggles phenomenon.  :D

#@!
That is a separate but very complicated function involving time, volume, and mass (of
several different components of the entire function)....

Let me see, how did it go?

As t approaches lc, the ratio of mV to eI is inversely proportional to the perceived
volume of vol(VSB) required to produce attraction....* 

That's not the whole thing, but it was something like that...

*...where t is time, lc = last call, mV = mass of the male, eI = ethanol consumed,
and VSB is the special double-cup beaker from Victoria's Secret...
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 08:20:41 AM »

very good video.  I'm surprised they did not bother to show how often the golden ratio appears in the human body (among all others).

It's a very important ratio in geometry and therefore mechanics.  We did some proofs with it in my advanced calculus class.  The wikipedia page on it is worth checking out.  It shows how to derive it among other things.  It is precisely equal to (1+sqr(5))/2  Where sqr means square root.

...While watching this video I wondered if it is possible to have an opposite of the golden ratio... the golden ratio is very pleasing to our eyes but can there be ratios that are specifically disturbing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
Although "Uncanny Valley" might have its faults as a theory it offers some potential pointers... Anything appearing to be about right but for some reason (unknown to observer) isn't quite right will be able to cause a bit of emotional disturbance. This could mean that a ratio that is similar to the Golden ratio but not quite the same might actually be quite disturbing.

I suppose if you look at the ratios that are found in beautiful music and compare these to the ratios that are found in unsettling music there might be some interesting ratios (or approximations of beautiful ratios) to examine. In all likelihood, a jarring of ratios would probably be the most disturbing and ultimately the study would become about the combinations that were the most jarring.

There is a guy called Mick Grierson who claims to have produced experimental audiovisual material that is designed to have a disturbing effect. He uses cross-modal real-time composition techniques and these techniques cause confusion between what people hear and what they see. Comprehensible and incomprehensible elements seem to be vital to the effect.

Tiervexx

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 07:38:49 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
Although "Uncanny Valley" might have its faults as a theory it offers some potential pointers... Anything appearing to be about right but for some reason (unknown to observer) isn't quite right will be able to cause a bit of emotional disturbance. This could mean that a ratio that is similar to the Golden ratio but not quite the same might actually be quite disturbing.

I suppose if you look at the ratios that are found in beautiful music and compare these to the ratios that are found in unsettling music there might be some interesting ratios (or approximations of beautiful ratios) to examine. In all likelihood, a jarring of ratios would probably be the most disturbing and ultimately the study would become about the combinations that were the most jarring.

There is a guy called Mick Grierson who claims to have produced experimental audiovisual material that is designed to have a disturbing effect. He uses cross-modal real-time composition techniques and these techniques cause confusion between what people hear and what they see. Comprehensible and incomprehensible elements seem to be vital to the effect.

I first saw this post a while ago and was intrigued by it but I neglected to comment.

I think the most universally disturbing images so far conceived by humans are human faces that are realistic but just a bit "off" in subtle ways.

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 09:21:45 AM »

Fun video but this thread was a major let down.........

I thought it was going to be about my main man Benoît B. Mandelbrot:

He is still alive (in his 80's now) and if you can get the chance meet him, I got to talk to him at a conference about 10 years back and was a cool guy.
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

earthshine

• Lord of the Thighs
  • I've got terminal uniqueness!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 12:22:30 PM »

Fun video but this thread was a major let down.........

I thought it was going to be about my main man Benoît B. Mandelbrot:

He is still alive (in his 80's now) and if you can get the chance meet him, I got to talk to him at a conference about 10 years back and was a cool guy.

Fractals are cool! and beautiful :love5:
Quote from: Indja
Quote from: CeeGBee
Is pussy allowed in the Batcave?   :-\
Homophobe.

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

http://twitter.com/sisterdisco http://www.facebook.com/nat.davies1
ADD ME!!! :)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 07:53:52 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q5cab4NMHsY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q5cab4NMHsY</a>

:glasses9:

Miss Sahara

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 07:05:11 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vetg7vWitTU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Vetg7vWitTU</a>
 :icon_king:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up