THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hiking Trip (under sub-subcategory of "Travel")  (Read 1013 times)

The King of Carrot Flowers

• 67 Indja Points
    • Surviving in a World of Stylish Peril
Hiking Trip (under sub-subcategory of "Travel")
« on: March 30, 2010, 09:36:52 PM »

Any experienced hikers? I'm considering going on an extended backpacking trip this summer for my quest (it's this thing I have to do for English Lit), so I'm going to start hiking smaller mountains first (parts of the Appalachian trail, Mt. Cardigan etc.). I want to hike the Long Trail in Vermont, which is about 272 miles. Does anybody know about how long that would take? My friend Connor thinks it'd take about a month (accounting for pacing, "enjoying the view" and the overall difficulty of the trail).

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: Hiking Trip (under sub-subcategory of "Travel")
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:54:44 PM »

Any experienced hikers? I'm considering going on an extended backpacking trip this summer for my quest (it's this thing I have to do for English Lit), so I'm going to start hiking smaller mountains first (parts of the Appalachian trail, Mt. Cardigan etc.). I want to hike the Long Trail in Vermont, which is about 272 miles. Does anybody know about how long that would take? My friend Connor thinks it'd take about a month (accounting for pacing, "enjoying the view" and the overall difficulty of the trail).
A friend hiked Key West to Cape Gaspe about 7 years ago.
I'll check his times.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

$ethie

• Fo' five dollahs, I'll suck yo
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:23:47 AM »

I think I may have been on or near the long trail a few years ago. When I was in Vermont, my friends decided it would be fun to ride the ski gondola up Mt. Mansfield. I had never been on one, and wasn't sure about it, but went along anyway. I had a panic attack during the ten minute ride to the top, and decided to hike to the bottom, against the better judgment of my friends. It was summer, but the trails are rocky and dangerous, and there are bear and moose. Plus I was wearing designer sandals that weren't meant to be worn for a hike down a 4,500ft mountain.

Long story short, six hours later I made it to the bottom, sans one pair of very expensive shoes. I lost them running from a moose that turned out to be bird moving around in a tree.

Anyway, I know there are several trails that run the mountain (and I think one of them is the long trail), but I don't remember which one I was on. Pretty, pretty scenery.

Quote from: .cadenza.
I DREAMT ABOUT HAVING A PENIS. I HAD FANTASIES OF STROKING MY PENIS. AS I DIE, I IMAGINE MYSELF BEING SLICED OPEN WITH A...~ACKBLOODDEATH~

The King of Carrot Flowers

• 67 Indja Points
    • Surviving in a World of Stylish Peril
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:19:44 PM »

The north end of the Long Trail is apparently very difficult terrain, particularly as the seasons change. A month doesn't seem like such a far-off estimate anymore (we read the blog of this guy who did it in 26, with a couple of detours).
Pages: [1]   Go Up