THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 ... 57   Go Down

Author Topic: DOCTOR WHO and whatnot...  (Read 99754 times)

chellinchen

Re: DOCTOR WHO and whatnot...
« Reply #690 on: October 02, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »

I enjoyed it in the moment, but all the gaping plot holes that became immediately apparent once I had a second to think about it made me really sad.

lucy

« Reply #691 on: October 02, 2012, 05:48:09 PM »

so who else cried while watching The Angels Take Manhattan?
I did. Not much but then I don't normally cry watching telly (unless it's Grey's Anatomy... yep I'm THAT girl).
I really loved the episode, I thought it was absolutely amazing! Although I can understand (and partially agree with) a lot of the criticism about this season (everywhere online), I've actually enjoyed this season so far. It's not been as good as earlier episodes (in my opinion), but I certainly didn't dislike them as much as some people seem to.

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #692 on: October 03, 2012, 01:35:20 AM »

The angels are the best/scariest thing to come out of new Who by far. I love them. Fuck the Daleks.

The latest episode was.. good. But it could/should have been better. And sadder. I wanted to wail hopelessly when Amy and Rory went. I was all ready to sob and bash my head against a tree. That didn't happen. Disappointed. Could've used one more draft, imo.

sangrebloom

• I'm working toward something, I don't know what...
Re: DOCTOR WHO THE 11TH HOUR
« Reply #693 on: October 03, 2012, 01:38:54 AM »

I loved it.

New companion rules. She is funny, and I have such a thing for ginger women. I like them a bit older mostly, but she is mega-hot.

Yus! She is indeed.

I didn't realise how annoying 10ant was getting until now he's gone xD He's just a bit gurny. Really the only problem I have with this one is his complete lack of eyebrows. Does nobody else care about this?! EYEBROWS ARE IMPORTANT!!

I AGREE!!! His whole face is strange without them!
I had to google pegging.

"I'm generally confused - I can't hear you over my obnoxious wealth"

Indja Points:40

Reptile

« Reply #694 on: October 03, 2012, 09:37:18 AM »

There were A LOT of things I didn't like about this episode (River's broken wrist, statue of liberty as an angel, moffat's look-how-clever-I-am writing,...) but I think the exit of the Ponds was great.

I like the broken wrist thing. The statue of liberty is silly, there is no way no one in new york was looking at it whenever someone tried to escape the building.

Reptile

« Reply #695 on: October 04, 2012, 06:50:55 AM »

There were A LOT of things I didn't like about this episode (River's broken wrist, statue of liberty as an angel, moffat's look-how-clever-I-am writing,...) but I think the exit of the Ponds was great.

I like the broken wrist thing. The statue of liberty is silly, there is no way no one in new york was looking at it whenever someone tried to escape the building.

The broken wrist is not appropriate for a show aimed primarily at children. That is actual horror movie material, and does not belong in Doctor who. The statue of liberty was indeed silly, but undermines the credibility of the entire story. I'm also pretty sure they made it clear in some earlier episode that the angels are made of stone, which the statue of liberty isn't.

I forgot it's also for kids, you're right it is too far.

It would have been fine to have a larger mascot style statue on the rooftop or gargoyles would have been ace.

i loved the cloaked woman and child watching that man's house though, that was cool.

chellinchen

« Reply #696 on: October 04, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »

The broken wrist is not appropriate for a show aimed primarily at children. That is actual horror movie material, and does not belong in Doctor who. The statue of liberty was indeed silly, but undermines the credibility of the entire story. I'm also pretty sure they made it clear in some earlier episode that the angels are made of stone, which the statue of liberty isn't.

I forgot it's also for kids, you're right it is too far.

It would have been fine to have a larger mascot style statue on the rooftop or gargoyles would have been ace.

i loved the cloaked woman and child watching that man's house though, that was cool.

Having seen both old & new Who, it has never struck me as a show for children.

It certainly can appeal to a younger demographic, but the plots & themes have always seemed very adult to me.

I suppose the broken wrist didn't strike me as inappropriate, even for children - especially since we don't actually see River wresting her arm away from the angel.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Reptile

« Reply #697 on: October 04, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »

I think it's worse that you don't get to see it, like she is just left to deal with being in the grips of an angel and breaking her wrist by herself and you're left to imagine if it were you, how would you get out? The thing that saves it is that it gets healed pretty much immediately,

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #698 on: October 04, 2012, 05:40:05 PM »

Doctor Who isn't a kid's show. Never has been. Children watch it but it isn't made for them. 
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #699 on: October 05, 2012, 01:31:53 AM »

Doctor Who isn't a kid's show. Never has been. Children watch it but it isn't made for them.
As I understand the history of the programme, it was originally intended as "family viewing"
containing both sorta-historic and sorta-scientific story elements.

It's evolved a bit from that.                     
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #700 on: October 05, 2012, 03:40:44 AM »

As I understand the history of the programme, it was originally intended as "family viewing"
containing both sorta-historic and sorta-scientific story elements.

It's evolved a bit from that.                     
It still is family viewing. My family view it on a weekly basis. People have been complaining that Doctor Who is too scary for kids ever since it started in the 60's. I think that could be why kids love it so much.
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

NikosGr

• Hidalgo
« Reply #701 on: October 05, 2012, 05:34:35 AM »

That's one of my main problems with Moffat's writing. He wants to completely change what Doctor Who is all about.
i watched the entire new series in the past couple of weeks. i can't complain about Moffat's vision. I enjoyed all seasons equally, Tennant and Tate were the ultimate duo for me, but i really enjoy the 11th doctor as well. seasons 5-7 seem like they're from a different show, but i can't complain. i love the writing in most episodes, and the dynamic between the Doctor and the Ponds was refreshing.i can imagine though that viewers who've spent years watching the show, may feel like Mofffat betraued the format of the original show.

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
« Reply #702 on: October 06, 2012, 08:45:47 PM »

Okay, question time: Which Doctor would you like to bang?

For me, it's a tie between Chris Eccleston and David Tennant. I'd be happy with either of them but happier with both of them
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #703 on: October 07, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »

I'm gonna have to say........

Joanna Lumley   O0

Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Reptile

« Reply #704 on: October 08, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »

It's got to be David Tennant, especially with his real accent!
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 ... 57   Go Up