THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Zealand Music Month 2010  (Read 9668 times)

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
Re: New Zealand Music Month 2010
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 11:18:18 PM »

Ladyhawke

Phillipa "Pip" Brown (born in July 1979)better known by her stage name Ladyhawke, is a New Zealand singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. She was formerly a part of the Wellington-based band Two Lane Blacktop, named for the 1971 road movie of the same name. Before assuming the name Ladyhawke, she formed the band Teenager with Nick Littlemore of Pnau and Empire of the Sun. Ladyhawke named herself after the 1985 Richard Donner film Ladyhawke. Ladyhawke is best known for her hit singles "Paris Is Burning" and "My Delirium". Her debut album was released on Modular Recordings in September 2008. At the ARIA Music Awards of 2009, Ladyhawke won for Best Breakthrough single and album.
The Observer grouped Ladyhawke in with other singers gaining notice with their distinct fashion, 1980s references, and androgyny, including Lady Gaga, Little Boots, Lissy Trullie, and Elly Jackson's synth duo La Roux.
Official Site|[url=http://www.myspace.com/ladyhawkerock[Myspace
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 02:07:36 AM »

Even if nobody has any interest in this (which makes me sad :( ) I shall continue until the end of the month so I can feel that I've done my part for NZMM

I for one am finding this quite interesting. thanks!
:)

#@!

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 05:00:52 PM »

^ Yay!! Thanks :D

Hollie Smith

Hollie Smith (born 1983) is a New Zealand female soul singer. She is of English and Dutch heritage, along with some Apache. In 1999 as a 16-year-old, Smith made the album Light From a Distant Shore after winning Best Female Vocalist at the National Jazz Festival of NZ. This album of Celtic music was produced by her stepfather who was a well-known musician in New Zealand. In 2003, Smith moved to Wellington singing with TrinityRoots. She recorded an album Home, Land and Sea and toured with the band. In 2005 the 5-track Hollie Smith EP was released, featuring her own compositions. In 2006 she released the full length album Long Player. Also in 2006, the single Bathe in the River, set to music by Don McGlashan, was released. Bathe in the River featured on the soundtrack to the film, No. 2, and was a top 10 hit for Smith.
In May 2007, Smith signed a multi-album record deal with Manhattan Records, part of the Blue Note Label Group. This deal collapsed in 2009 which forced the singer to use the profits of Long Player to get out of the deal with Blue Note. She now manages her own music using the New Zealand parent company of Blue Note, EMI, for publicity and advertising. She released the album Humour and the Misfortune of Others on 15 March 2010 and is currently touring in April and May.
Official Site|Myspace
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

seeate

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 05:56:06 PM »

Just sorta derailing the thread but not really... but Auckland label Arch Hill Recordings has a FREE CD 10th Anniversary you can download... for FREE! Sweet.

The Arch Hill sampler features The Clean, Surf City, Don McGlashan, Street Chant, David Kilgour, The Bats, Luke Buda, Pine, The Haints of Dean Hall, White Swan Black Swan, Jay Clarkson, Fang, Lanky, Family Cactus, Grand Prix, Ghostplane, David Mulcahy and more.

http://tinyurl.com/2ejhjlk

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »

Kids of 88

Kids of 88 is New Zealand New Wave music duo based in Auckland City, New Zealand, consisting of Jordan Arts and Sam McCarthy. They are best known for their 2008 single, 'My House'. They have since signed to Sony Music and plan to release an album in early August 2010. Arts and McCarthy are both somewhat elusive and do not give many interviews, Except for Coup De Main and Drew on C4, but it is known that the two have been best friends for ten years. They attended St Peter's College, Auckland, where they formed the band Incursa, winning the 2004 Smokefreerockquest. Sharing a passion for music, they decided to become musicians. McCarthy is also a member of the band Goodnight Nurse.
They cite their influences as "Groove, mood, and slutty arrangements. 16th hi hats and hand claps. Culture and couture, Gangster and glamour".
In April 2010, Kids of 88 signed a worldwide record deal with Sony Music. They also revealed on radio station The Edge that they were to release their album August 9 2010
Myspace

Gardenhead

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 07:36:37 PM »

^ I like

"I wanna take you back to my house, I love the feeling when you touch me baby, Its not as good when I'm by myself"  O0

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 06:03:53 PM »

^Haha I love when that comes on a night out.

Hmmm....what to post...who to post.....................
Tahuna Breaks

Tahuna Breaks got its start back in the day when two school friends started jamming out; Timmy G rocking out on the drums with James Winkle laying down the basslines. Soon, old family friend, Marty Greentree, joined the mix as lead lyricist and vocalist. Throwing in a bit of style and a feminine touch, friend and saxophone player Kelsey Serjeant jumped in after catching up with the boys at a concert. The bands first practice space was on Tahuna St in Auckland, lending them not only a place to jam, but also their name. Through the years they’ve moved from a garage in Onehunga, to the west coast at Piha, and finally back to Auckland. A small carpet-clad storage space near the quays in downtown Auckland now houses the band and their tunes. Without worry of disturbing the neighbours, they can rock out and let the creative genius flow. Along the journey, the band has expanded to include Tim Baker on the trumpet, Jonny McClean on sax, Adam “Young Blood” Fuhr on the keys, and Tom Charleson on the guitar. Their music has only grown richer with the addition of each member, leading to an amazing sound, unmatched anywhere in New Zealand
Official Site|Myspace

If anyone has some genre suggestions, I can try to match these posts to musicians you may like?

seeate

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 05:36:22 PM »

This is probably my favourite vid/song right now...

The Phoenix Foundation with their brand new song Buffalo

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bW5JfdfVE7o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bW5JfdfVE7o</a>

Live at Slow Boat Records in Wellington.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WJP1rhW9O1I" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WJP1rhW9O1I</a>

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 11:24:24 PM »

^ Darn I was going to post them today xD

Instead I'll go with
Fat Freddys Drop

Fat Freddys Drop[2] are a seven-piece band from Wellington, New Zealand, whose musical style has been characterized as any combination of dub, reggae, soul, jazz, rhythm and blues, and techno. Originally a jam band formed in the late 1990s by musicians from other bands in Wellington, Fat Freddys Drop gradually became its members' sole focus. Band members continued playing with their other respective groups—The Black Seeds, TrinityRoots, Bongmaster, and others—for much of their 11-year career. Fat Freddys Drop are known for their improvised live performances; songs on their studio albums are versions refined over years of playing them live in New Zealand, and on tour abroad.
The group gained international recognition in 2003 after their single "Midnight Marauders" was re-distributed by record labels and DJs in Germany. The group has toured Europe nearly every year since then. The first studio album by Fat Freddys Drop, Based on a True Story, was the first independently-distributed album to reach first place in New Zealand record sales directly after release in 2005, and is the highest-selling album by a national artist in the country's history. Based on a True Story won Best Album at the New Zealand Music Awards the same year, and remained on the top 40 New Zealand sales chart for over two years, establishing them as one of the most successful contemporary bands in the island nation.

Official Site|Myspace

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »

Double whammy here seems I missed out yesterday. And it's a double whammy of pop-punkness

Goodnight Nurse

Hailing from the West side of Auckland, New Zealand, this 3 piece pop-punk band have been through the ups and downs of what it’s like to be in the New Zealand music industry.
It all began in 2002 when Joel Little (guitarist, lead vocals) and Jaden Parkes (drummer, backing vocals) were in high school together and decided to form a band. In need of a bassist an advert was placed, Paul Taite (bassist, backing vocals) was the only person to reply. Paul got the position and Goodnight Nurse was born.
They have released five popular singles: “Loner”, “Taking Over”, “Going Away”, “Our Song” and the new single “My Only”. All made it in the Top 20 on debut.
Goodnight Nurse’s debut album “Always And Never” was due to be released on November 28th 2005 through Festive Music Records, but sadly the company was bought by Warner Music and the release date was delayed. However, after fans waited patiently for the album to come out it was finally released on the 23rd January 2006 and debuted at number 5 on the New Zealand album charts.
Goodnight Nurse have also added two new members and got rid of their former bassist, Paul Taite and now have Rowan on bass and Sam on guitar and backup vocals
Goodnight Nurse have come a long way since the days of playing in a small Auckland garage.
Official site|Myspace

Midnight Youth

Midnight Youth came together on the 15th November 2001 after the core of the band honed their skills in New Zealand's high school Rockquest competition, out of Rangitoto College, before teaming with vocalist Jeremy Redmore in mid 2006. The band were quickly thrust into the limelight after being selected to play with INXS for two of their New Zealand shows that year. The veteran act watched Midnight Youth's sets from side of stage, later proclaiming the band as one of the best they had played with in Australasia.
The band's first single, "Supernatural", attained national airplay on NZ's rock and pop stations; and in 2008 inspired a house remix from DJ Tim Phinn locally, and a further electro remix by Melbourne-based producers Vandalism, released on Australian label Central Station. The band's second single, "A New Day", had its video remain in C4's Top 40 for five weeks, and was nominated as Juice TV's 'Breakthrough Video of the Year'. Furthermore, the attention "A New Day" received was not confined to New Zealand and Australia alone – they attained airplay on influential LA radio station Indie 103.1 and appeared on the US TV show, Project MyWorld.
In 2008 the band played the opening slots for Ok Go and Incubus in their Auckland shows and travelled to New York to record their debut record. The recording took place across New York, notably Jonathan Mover's Skyline Studios.
The band signed with Warner Music NZ in September 2008 and released their third single, "The Letter", to widespread acclaim across New Zealand. The song became the band's first Top 40 hit in New Zealand in January 2009. At one point, the video was simultaneously number one on both of the country's major music video stations C4 and Juice TV and became the number two most-played track on NZ radio in February 2009. It was also the number one NZ song on NZ radio for 11-weeks and peaked at #20 on the NZ singles chart.
Their follow-up single, "All On Our Own", debuted at #18 on the New Zealand RIANZ Singles Chart in March, 2009, and peaked at number six, after twelve weeks on the chart. The song went on to spend nine weeks inside the NZ top 40 and beat out international acts to be the most played song on NZ radio for seven weeks straight.
Third single Learning To Fall was released in late June 2009. The video for the track was filmed in Manhattan, New York.
Midnight Youth's debut album, The Brave Don't Run, was released in New Zealand on April 27 2009, and debuted at number two on the New Zealand Album Chart. The album will also be released later in 2009 in Australia. The album was certified platnum in New Zealand in December 2009, selling over 15,000 copies nationwide.
In June 2009 the band embarked on their first nationwide headlining tour in support of their album "The Brave Don't Run".
Midnight Youth were nominated for 8 awards in the 2009 New Zealand Music Awards, including Best Album "The Brave Don't Run", Best Single "All On Our Own" and Best Group. The band won the Best Rock Album award, Best Group award and Best Engineer with Andrew Buckton.
Midnight Youth was featured at MuseExpo 2010 in Los Angeles playing a full showcase at the Whisky A Go Go on LA's Sunsets Strip.
The Brave Don't Run will be released in Australia on Warner Music on the 24th of May 2010. The band will then hit the road with Australian band Birds of Tokyo on the "Saddest Thing I Know" tour in May/June.
Official Site|Myspace

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 07:06:30 PM »

So So Modern

Hello! Nice to meet you. We are are a four-person collective interested creating a more fun and meaningful future through performance and music. By performance we mean the reciprocal acts of seeing and being seen, and by music we mean the ability to show solidarity around creative aural pleasure. Remember the campfire? Hope you do, cos thats what music means to us. A platform for sharing ideas, stories and gathering. But also a stage for challenges, dialog and what not.
Official Site|Myspace

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 07:53:19 PM »

The Naked and Famous

The Naked and Famous are Thom Powers and Alisa Xayalith, signed to Round Trip Mars. Named after a line in the song Tricky Kid, The Naked and Famous are an electro/pop group based in Auckland, New Zealand and operate as a five piece with Aaron Short (electronics/producing), David Beadle (bass) and Jesse Wood (drums).

They have released two EPs so far; ‘This Machine’ and ‘No Light’ and a limited-edition 7”; ‘Kill The Littleblackdots/Serenade’.

They’ve recently toured New York for the yearly CMJ Music Festival, supported Nine Inch Nails at New Zealands biggest Arena, and had multiple hits make number one on the New Zealand alternative charts
Myspace

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 03:59:55 AM »

Computers Want Me Dead

Computers Want Me Dead is a two-piece electro-synth pop band consisting of Sam Harvey and Damien Daniels. At 18, Sam Harvey was the vocalist in a punk band called the Dark Town Strutters. At 19, he started producing textural electronic music under the moniker ‘Plastic Flowers On Video’. By 21, he had joined a goth/industrial band with long time friends (‘Decoma’), but soon left this band to continue his exploration of music and genre. It was in Los Angeles in 2003 that he discovered his passion for synth-pop. Damien Daniels, who was raised in Hong Kong and is the son of two prominent 80’s TV personalities, spent much of his teenage years listening to ‘intellectual dance music’, and spent a couple of years playing synth and bass in a synth-rock band called ‘The Beautiful Burn’. Sam and Damien met in 2007 at a Christmas party for the music television station they were both working for. A conversation ignited around how jaded they both were with the music TV industry, and they were soon embroiled in a passionate debate about music. With similar tastes and a shared desire for collaboration, they soon ditched the party to trade demos. By early 2008, they had formed a synth band, sharing a common love for synths, drum machines, and electronic music. Originally a more industrial electro sound, with heavy distortion and gritty textures, their musicianship and production skills fuse electrically, resulting in tunes you’ll be humming after one listen. Computers Want Me Dead is a band to watch.
Myspace

Listen to the song on their myspace. I dare you. It will get stuck in your head.

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 07:58:54 PM »

Elemeno P

Elemeno P is a New Zealand-based rock band.
Their first album, Love & Disrespect, was released on 4 July 2003, and reached number one having sold over 45,000 copies. Their second album, Trouble in Paradise, was released on 24 November 2005 and includes the singles "11:57", "Burn", "One Left Standing" and "You Are". Their eponymous third album was released on 26 May 2008.
Elemeno P has been referred to as New Zealand's biggest selling rock band and in 2006 won Best Group at the New Zealand Music Awards.
Myspace

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 12:50:26 AM »

I Am Giant

So technically they're a New Zealand/UK band. Not much of a bio on them. So this is a case of letting the music do the talking.
Official Site/Myspace

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up