THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help With a School Project!  (Read 3180 times)

MauraLeeBee

• give me a philosophy, and I'll probably quote some Fitzgerald :)
  • & & &
    • Writing blog
Help With a School Project!
« on: May 10, 2010, 09:38:26 PM »

In my English class, we just finished read "A Midsummer Night's Dream", and we have to hand in a project by the last day of school about an old holiday, festival, wedding, or funeral. It can be from any part of the world, and any time period (except our current age, of course). Some girl is doing the Olympics, and the celebrations behind it, and another girl is doing the Lunar festival. I was originally going to do either a 19th century English or Irish wedding, or a German Christmas from around then, but now I have a better idea.

I want to do a festival or holiday in which the people worship the sea. I feel like there's some sort of mermaid festival out there in the expanse of time, but Google isn't being too helpful in my searches. Even if it has nothing to do with the creatures of the shoreline, I would still like to do something in which the people celebrated the ocean, Gods of water, etc. Since my mind is blanking on any, do you guys have any suggestions?

Thank you so much. xo
marmite does not lend itself to a painting medium

NO ONE CAN STARE AT THE WALL.

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
Re: Help With a School Project!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 09:44:02 PM »

A visit to the reference library is a great help, too. Incase no one has anything. But with the quirks of this board, you'll most likely find something. I did a project on faery tales and the idea of innocence lost. I found so much awesome stuff at the reference library.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

MauraLeeBee

• & & &
    • Writing blog
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 09:48:14 PM »

Yeah. We're in our class library every day this week, and I need to stop by the public one to return some overdue movies, as well as my job application (how good is THAT gonna look, at the very same time? xD). I did a research paper on The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen last year, and I found some great books! What I need before books though is the name of a festival. I don't really know what to look for, or even what country it might be celebrated in...

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 09:59:42 PM »

How about the Brazilian tradition of making offerings to the Sea Goddess, Lemanja or Yemanja on New Year's Eve? People wade in with floating candles, flowers and jewelry and make offerings. Supposedly of African origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemaja
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

MauraLeeBee

• & & &
    • Writing blog
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 10:06:22 PM »

Hmm... Sounds interesting. I shall keep it in mind. Thank you. :)

cbkof

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 10:35:54 PM »

If you end up doing the Yemanja project can you share it with us?
what is Enoch Root? who is Jeff Lint?

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different burritos". -- Bob Einstein

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 11:28:43 PM »

Longship burial or pyre-ship... [okay, seriously, we need a Viking smiley...]
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

MauraLeeBee

• & & &
    • Writing blog
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 06:24:44 AM »

Of course I shall share it! :)

And lol CGB... My teacher keeps making that suggestion. x)

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 11:07:15 AM »

Of course I shall share it! :)

And lol CGB... My teacher keeps making that suggestion. x)
There's lots of material, and you can find "expert" commentary on it to support just about any
crackpot theory you might want to throw out there...  (...or you could take the responsible course
and stick to the documentable/real-science approach, which also has some pretty neat stories.)
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 02:23:16 PM »

How about the Brazilian tradition of making offerings to the Sea Goddess, Lemanja or Yemanja on New Year's Eve? People wade in with floating candles, flowers and jewelry and make offerings. Supposedly of African origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemaja

Beat me to it. I’m more aware of the Cuban variant name “Yemaya” because there is an instrumental I like that is named after it.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 02:39:11 AM »

The 1st of May sees Padstow Cornwall decorated with the first greenery of the year. Bluebells, and hazel twigs. The procession of the Padstow Obby Oss, teazer and the dancers, singers, and musicians playing a hypnotic tune, to celebrate the coming of spring.

The Furry Dance, also known as The Flora (or incorrectly as the Floral Dance), takes place in Helston, Cornwall, and is one of the oldest British customs still practised today.[1] The dance is very well attended every year and people travel from all over the world to see it: Helston Town Band play all the music for the dances.

The Furry Dance takes place every year on May 8 (or the Saturday before if May 8 falls on a Sunday or Monday), and is a celebration of the passing of Winter and the arrival of Spring. The day starts with the first dance at 7.00 am and continues with the children's dance at 10.00 am, then the midday dance and culminates in the evening dance at 5.00 pm. Of these, the midday dance is perhaps the best known: it was traditionally the dance of the gentry in the town, and today the men wear top hats and tails while the women dance in their finest frocks.

Traditionally, the dancers wear lily of the valley, which is Helston's symbolic flower. The gentlemen wear it on the left, with the flowers pointing upwards, and the ladies wear it upside down on the right.

One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel
Pages: [1]   Go Up