THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mediums, Psychics, Spiritualists etc etc...  (Read 5300 times)

Kenny Wisdom

• Desire in a Bowl of Potatoes
  • Emmett does peace; his way.
Re: Mediums, Psychics, Spiritualists etc etc...
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 02:00:27 AM »

They've done it with an opaque screen... srsly....

Surely even in your state that kind of behaviour is outlawed?
http://www.diggers.org/overview.htm

A life played for keeps. Read it, dig it, man...

Laissez lire, et laissez danser; ces deux amusements ne feront jamais de mal au monde!!

Greg Nova wrote:
Harper tu n'es qu'un petit couillon!

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 05:22:03 AM »

actually there is a tonne of evidence for unusual sensory perception (including remote viewing) and telepathic communication, even for psychic prediction....the problem is that the results are odd but not very useful and also there appears to be no reliable way of harnesing these powers to any practical level..... the US government spent billions on psychic research and particularly on remote viewing..... the British Government to the best of my knowledge are still doing these experiments, but in a much more low budget, typically british way..... I beieve in a non linear interconnected universe and synchronicity seems to be extremely prevailant around here.....
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

simon tongue

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 10:47:11 AM »

The new one was abysmal. There were people who could see after reaching stage three what was in 3 boxes whilst wearing a blindfold. Amazing you might think... how do they do it? Well first they get to see what's in the boxes before they do it so that narrows it down a fair bit and then just before they name whats in the boxes they get to peak first. So get this, they have x-ray sight where they can name whats in a box as long as they can look at it first!!

One trainee stated I am getting better and better at this x-ray vision, it's well worth it... you are looking at it with your own eyes you moron!!! Unbelievable.

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 11:18:04 AM »

actually there is a tonne of evidence for unusual sensory perception (including remote viewing) and telepathic communication, even for psychic prediction....the problem is that the results are odd but not very useful and also there appears to be no reliable way of harnesing these powers to any practical level..... the US government spent billions on psychic research and particularly on remote viewing..... the British Government to the best of my knowledge are still doing these experiments, but in a much more low budget, typically british way..... I beieve in a non linear interconnected universe and synchronicity seems to be extremely prevailant around here.....
What kind of evidence? If it made it to peer review via scientific journals I would expect to see it being discussed on science forums. To my knowledge no one has picked up on it if it is out there and research methods for psychic studies that are talked about are often looked upon as being deeply flawed.

I think that synchronicity is easily accounted for as a kind of emergent property of our interests and similar to the complexity and interconnectivity that arises via natural selection. i.e. improbable arrangements/coincidences occur because it is probable for these things to happen if we understand the processes which selected for them to occur.
Any verbal communication between them? Obviously once that is ruled out it certainly looks more impressive. Not that the screen part isn't impressive in itself.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 01:42:35 PM »

Any verbal communication between them? Obviously once that is ruled out it certainly looks more impressive. Not that the screen part isn't impressive in itself.
It's been a few years, since said brother has moved out of state (and yes, they do have a habit
of one calling the other while that other is looking for the phone to call...)

I seem to recall they'd just use the sound of the card being drawn, or possibly a word like "next"...

Impressive?  I'd say curious, or interesting, but pretty much useless, and so only minimally impressive.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Dr Gonzo

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »

I just watched the first episode in Derren Brown investigates (you can watch it here at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtlhjsiBEDw (might be UK only)) and again for me just showed what a complete load of hogwash it all is.

This episode focused on Joe Power who 'contacts' the dead and passes on information from them to their loved ones. It seemed quite clear it was a mix of cold reading and 'revealing' facts that they already knew. Well worth a watch though.

Anyway the point being does anyone here have any experience and actually believe in it? Also did anyone see the above episode?

Don’t be so negative! If you are very lucky, you can be at the right bar, at the right time and overhear some ponderous twit going on about a spiritual experience with a falafel and you can mock them mercilessly!!  And then the barmaid will give you a free beer, something like this happened to be on Saturday night. I think…  
My best friend is Alan, he lives in my top pocket and he tells me to start fires.

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 02:08:22 PM »

It's been a few years, since said brother has moved out of state (and yes, they do have a habit

I seem to recall they'd just use the sound of the card being drawn, or possibly a word like "next"...

Impressive?  I'd say curious, or interesting, but pretty much useless, and so only minimally impressive.

I suppose that's what I meant (Curious, or interesting) but impressive in so much as that it is a cut above what many people do when guessing cards.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 02:22:02 PM »

I suppose that's what I meant (Curious, or interesting) but impressive in so much as that it is a cut above what many people do when guessing cards.
Sure...  I mean, statistically, that's spectacular...  but practically, kinda pointless.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

simon tongue

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 03:45:38 PM »

I just watched the first episode in Derren Brown investigates (you can watch it here at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtlhjsiBEDw (might be UK only)) and again for me just showed what a complete load of hogwash it all is.

This episode focused on Joe Power who 'contacts' the dead and passes on information from them to their loved ones. It seemed quite clear it was a mix of cold reading and 'revealing' facts that they already knew. Well worth a watch though.

Anyway the point being does anyone here have any experience and actually believe in it? Also did anyone see the above episode?

Don’t be so negative! If you are very lucky, you can be at the right bar, at the right time and overhear some ponderous twit going on about a spiritual experience with a falafel and you can mock them mercilessly!!  And then the barmaid will give you a free beer, something like this happened to be on Saturday night. I think…  

Haha...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up