THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Courtney Love offered $162 million for Nirvana rights  (Read 5632 times)

simon tongue

Re: Courtney Love offered $162 million for Nirvana rights
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 06:00:22 AM »

I still don't understand anyone's enjoyment of Hole... sure Celebrity Skin was a catchy tune but it wasn't actually any good and what else is worth listening too?

how do you not understand it? people have different musical tastes.

I know they do... I was just expressing my own opinions... I am also not really a big Nivarna fan either,or Foo Fighters for that matter. It's just I don't understand anyone's love for Courtney either...

Rob

• Now I must go, Sean Hannity is on.
  • Harmless
    • My Yahoo!
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »

Frances has a trust fund regardless of what happens to the cataloge.  She needn't worry.

Nirvana Was one of the best bands ever, and Kurt was a genius.

The Stones will never be as good as he Beatles, no matter how long they actually live.

GOOD DAY!
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

Johnny

• Get your leather on
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 11:09:01 AM »

Jesus Christ, I didn't say I want to bathe in her vaginal discharge, I just want to shake her hand, for fuck's sake.

oohhhh and i love you.
I don't have low self esteem. I just have low esteem for everyone else.

Drizz

• Her Vagesty, Our Lady of Perpetual Tardiness
  • Nappy-Headed Ho
    • Mah MySpace
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 01:22:34 PM »

Quote from: Agonistes
beatles, star wars, and hole.

Seconded.  But I do still love the Stones so very much.  The Beatles are making love, and the Rolling Stones are fucking.  I love 'em both.  The bands, that is.

Quote from: Rob
Frances has a trust fund regardless of what happens to the cataloge.  She needn't worry.

The Stones will never be as good as he Beatles, no matter how long they actually live.

GOOD DAY!

Rob. . .  have I told you, lately, that I love you?

Quote from: MONS†ER
Quote from: Drizz
Jesus Christ, I didn't say I want to bathe in her vaginal discharge, I just want to shake her hand, for fuck's sake.

oohhhh and i love you.

^-^

Why, thank you.  Is that an AbFab avatar you have?  How fabulous.
Quote from: Pillowz R Kool
Quote from: Chay
i read somewhere that masturbating during your period can actually help with cramps
And you can finger paint after.

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 04:17:25 PM »

Liking Hole more than Nirvana is something I just can't even fathom, but that is opinion for ya!

As far as the whole Beatles/Stones thing goes, I overheard some kid in the music store say that The Beatles were the best band ever, but The Stones were the best ROCK band ever.

I could never choose between them.

Oh, and I so want to bathe in vaginal discharge. Just not Courtney's.
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

Drizz

• Nappy-Headed Ho
    • Mah MySpace
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 04:21:03 PM »

Hi, Larry!

It's a hard choice, indeed.  But. . .  if the Stones are rock, wtf are the Beatles?  I'd call both of them rock bands.
i read somewhere that masturbating during your period can actually help with cramps

armyoflarry

• and army of names
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 04:36:21 PM »

Hi, Larry!

It's a hard choice, indeed.  But. . .  if the Stones are rock, wtf are the Beatles?  I'd call both of them rock bands.

Well, I didn't say that. Though it feels right to say it. I think he wasn't trying to say The Beatles were not a rock band, he just thought they were a better band over-all, but the Stones are just pure rock without all the flowery production and pretension.

Drizz

• Nappy-Headed Ho
    • Mah MySpace
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »

I know you said the kid said that, but maybe he is of the persuasion that the beatles are pop, and the stones are rock.  because, ultimately, the beatles were pop music when they first started.  and the first, or one of the first, boy bands.

armyoflarry

• and army of names
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 10:35:51 PM »

I know you said the kid said that, but maybe he is of the persuasion that the beatles are pop, and the stones are rock.  because, ultimately, the beatles were pop music when they first started.  and the first, or one of the first, boy bands.

Yeah, though my impression is that the kid thought they both played rock music. As poppy as the fab 4 were, they cut their teeth and first started making waves with 50's Rock music. They just added more and more stuff to it. They were a rock band aspiring to grow. The Stones just wanted to fuck and drink and snort all in their path! They tried the flower power thing too, and fell flat on their face. Smartly they returned to making what I like to call the anal sex of rock n roll. LOL

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 10:54:07 PM »

GOOD DAY!

Nirvana is much bigger than they should be due to Kurt dying while in their prime, they were good, and the first mainstream break out of that genre.

Personally I think Alice in Chains is a much better band, but both of their unplugged albums are amazing  :headbang:

While I am not a huge Nirvana fan their cover of "The Man Who Sold the World" was great.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

armyoflarry

• and army of names
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 08:55:42 AM »

GOOD DAY!

Nirvana is much bigger than they should be due to Kurt dying while in their prime, they were good, and the first mainstream break out of that genre.

Personally I think Alice in Chains is a much better band, but both of their unplugged albums are amazing  :headbang:

While I am not a huge Nirvana fan their cover of "The Man Who Sold the World" was great.

Actually, Nirvana was bigger when Kurt was still alive. Many of their fans dropped off after Kurt offed himself, and still harbor that anger to this day. They felt betrayed because the person that seemed to embody their frustration, and seemed to channel it into his music just gave up. Not to mention Courtney has done just about everything she can to trip up the legacy of the band. As long as she has any say in what happens to Nirvana's legacy, that legacy will suffer.

It is ok if you don't think much of the band (and I too like AIC much more) but the reason Nirvana was big is because they stood apart from any other band, and because the songs were fucking top notch. The rock world was drowning in surface deep bullshit, and Nirvana cut right through that with a jagged knife.

To this day, the whole grunge as a genre thing baffles me. Nirvana, Soudgarden, AIC, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam ect. only had a fucking state in common. These bands were miles apart in sound. The copycat bands that followed were the only bands that muddied the water. "Hype" is great movie, and a great insight to how much the history of musical movements are slaughtered by Rolling Stone and VH-1 revisionism.

Drizz

• Nappy-Headed Ho
    • Mah MySpace
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 08:59:37 AM »

I just don't understand how it gets so much hype when it was music written with 3 basic power chords in every song.

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 10:09:01 AM »

GOOD DAY!

Actually, Nirvana was bigger when Kurt was still alive. Many of their fans dropped off after Kurt offed himself, and still harbor that anger to this day. They felt betrayed because the person that seemed to embody their frustration, and seemed to channel it into his music just gave up. Not to mention Courtney has done just about everything she can to trip up the legacy of the band. As long as she has any say in what happens to Nirvana's legacy, that legacy will suffer.

It is ok if you don't think much of the band (and I too like AIC much more) but the reason Nirvana was big is because they stood apart from any other band, and because the songs were fucking top notch. The rock world was drowning in surface deep bullshit, and Nirvana cut right through that with a jagged knife.

To this day, the whole grunge as a genre thing baffles me. Nirvana, Soudgarden, AIC, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam ect. only had a fucking state in common. These bands were miles apart in sound. The copycat bands that followed were the only bands that muddied the water. "Hype" is great movie, and a great insight to how much the history of musical movements are slaughtered by Rolling Stone and VH-1 revisionism.

A huge part of why Nirvana is still big is their story.  Even if fans from when they were around killed themselves ask any teenager today and they know them.  Why?  A big part of pop culture is Kurt's suicide, jokes/references/conspiracy theories are everywhere.  And keeping that name around gave it cache.  So they get more and more play since people have them in their head.

Nirvana has become a brand name for the genre even if they were not the best.
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

armyoflarry

• and army of names
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 10:53:03 AM »

I just don't understand how it gets so much hype when it was music written with 3 basic power chords in every song.

Because rock music comes from there. 3 chords, simple beat, we must repeat...

Sounds like you are more mad at the hype than anything the band did? Hate the hype, not the playa...  :icon_rr:

Drizz

• Nappy-Headed Ho
    • Mah MySpace
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 11:32:05 AM »

I write music, I've been playing guitar for almost 14 years and I started playing instruments when I was 4.  I would strongly disagree with
Because rock music comes from there. 3 chords, simple beat, we must repeat...

Now, I had a Nirvana day with my coworker a few weeks ago.  We listened to mostly Incesticide, some In Utero.  I don't HATE Nirvana, it's just. . .  very much what I liked when I was a kid, and my taste in music has changed a lot.  It's just not my slice of cake, anymore.  But every once in a while, I will pull out the old stuff (I'll listen to Garbage, and then Poe, and then Nirvana. . .) and have a trip down Memory Lane.

The only stuff I used to like that I can't get into anymore is garbage like Limp Bizkit or Korn.  Ahhhhhhh, youthful stupidity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up