THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Female GM in Australia - WARNING-Potentially Distressing/Harmful News  (Read 2187 times)

heartstringz

• killed Amanda Palmer
  • Long Live Punk Cabaret!

This is a sensitive topic, so be warned.  There are no pictures on the article and I would appreciate if no pictures were posted in this thread - google if you must, but people need to have a choice as to whether they see it or not.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/1060055/doctors-considering-mutilating-baby-girls

I can't believe our leaders are even seriously discussing this as an appropriate and affective way to prevent backyard procedures.  Condoning it will not prevent it.

I heard it was being discussed in the USA too, is that true?

Something is really wrong with this country if our leaders think something like that is ok.  I have worked with clients who have suffered from FGM and it is not something to take lightly.  They were emotionally and physically affected in adulthood due to this procedure.

Not to mention the breach of the UN Convention of Human Rights and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.  The UN should be stepping up and banning this practice internationally.

Just wanted to make everyone aware, so that (if you think that the practice is wrong), you can lobby your governments and do something about it.
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Martin Luther King

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me

NPR did a huge segment on it a few days back, really crazy.

As to what is happening in the US the following is from the American Academy of Pediatrics.

“However, the ritual nick suggested by some pediatricians is not physically harmful and is much less extensive than routine newborn male genital cutting. There is reason to believe that offering such a compromise may build trust between hospitals and immigrant communities, save some girls from undergoing disfiguring and life-threatening procedures in their native countries, and play a role in the eventual eradication of FGC. It might be more effective if federal and state laws enabled pediatricians to reach out to families by offering a ritual nick as a possible compromise to avoid greater harm.”

But they have recently taken back this statement.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2010/05/27/pediatricians-group-reverses-female-genital-cutting-policy/

For the NPR story which goes in depth about this issue:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126831142
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter

The ritual nick that the dr's are proposing is actually a cut to the clitoris. None of the Australian articles I have read today have pointed that out. It is a whole lot less gruesome compared to what happens now but it is still wrong.

The last thing any medical professional should be doing is mutilating the genitals of an infant, especially in order to reduce the future sensation and function of those genitals. How that comes under "First do no harm" I will never know.

Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

simon tongue

Religion has a lot to answer for... another disgusting practice that needs to be abolished throughout the world once and for all and certianly not pandered too.

Rob

• Now I must go, Sean Hannity is on.
  • Harmless
    • My Yahoo!

This is not religious...it's cultural.
Everybody dies
Frustrated and sad
And that is beautiful

tw2113

• Agent Semi-Intelligent
  • Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    • Michaelbox dot Net

Plus it can be hard to change someone's views when they feel they are right and doing the just thing.
There comes times in every man's life, where he must urinate. For me, now is one of those times, excuse me

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?

The ritual nick that the dr's are proposing is actually a cut to the clitoris. None of the Australian articles I have read today have pointed that out. It is a whole lot less gruesome compared to what happens now but it is still wrong.

The last thing any medical professional should be doing is mutilating the genitals of an infant, especially in order to reduce the future sensation and function of those genitals. How that comes under "First do no harm" I will never know.

See also: circumcision....
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter

See also: circumcision....

I'm not a big fan of that either...
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

lil' lindsay

• im this many.

so they are just as bad as each other?
mommy's wingman

Morpheus Laughing

^
The terms are often interchangeable, especially if the goal of circumcision is to reduce sensation. This is often what is meant when circumcision is used to describe the alteration of female genitalia and you could say that it is a euphemism because it is not a process that is in anyway analogous to male circumcision.   

slyvia k

Re: Female GM in Australia - WARNING-Potentially Distressing/Harmful News
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 05:34:14 AM »

well i heard that male circumcision is also done for ''cleanness'' reasons? and i don't think it reduces sexual pleasure.
female circumcision is monstrous, and i think it is utterly ridiculous that such a thing is accepted in ''western countries'' disguised as a ''oh but it's their culture'' tolerance. in many african states the lips and the clitoris are cut off with a RAZOR or broken pieces of glass bottles, and then the lips are sewn together. imagine how many girls die of infections and such, without mentioning the excruciating pain.

CottonCandy

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 02:02:06 AM »

Female circumcision is generally horrible, but I think the male one is totally unnecessary too.

The male one relates back to religious reasons, or "cleanliness" reasons, which partly is the same thing as in jewish and islamic cultures they lived in dry areas where it was more difficult to find water to clean yourself often. If you cut the foreskin off there's less of a chance of build-up of smegma as it it gets wiped on whatever. I don't think it still makes it clean, especially now when men can clean their bits everyday I'd rather them to that.

They haven't been able to do a proper study of if it lessens the feeling in that area, as most circumcisions are made when the men are very young and can't compare before and after, and obviously those things are very subjective. However it might reduce the funtimes for the lady, as the foreskin can act like an extra ridge for stimulation in intercourse. Then again some women think circumcised penis is prettier and so get excited more... So it's all swings and roundabouts, but I don't think any operation that isn't necessary is any good, there's pain and possiblity of infection so doing it for whatever reasons doesn't appeal to me.

Tiervexx

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 06:42:48 PM »

The ritual nick that the dr's are proposing is actually a cut to the clitoris. None of the Australian articles I have read today have pointed that out. It is a whole lot less gruesome compared to what happens now..

This is a very important and often over looked point.  The purposed official version of this operation will do essentially nothing to the woman while fulfilling the cultural requirement.  I can understand still being adverse to the idea but this is a fantastic compromise.

Yes, I'd also prefer to just not do the operation at all but that's not a realistic goal at this point in time.  They WILL do it anyway so get used to the idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up