THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Middle East Goes Crazy  (Read 7792 times)

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
Re: Middle East Goes Crazy
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2010, 03:03:49 AM »

you are aware that isreal is threatening to start building again right now?
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2010, 08:19:26 AM »

you are aware that isreal is threatening to start building again right now?

I'm sorry but you need to keep up on this subject more if you are to have such a strong opinion, Israel never fully stopped just reduced the building.  Also while there was not massive building on the 30th a few projects have already started but they have also restrained the number that did.  The party that did let the freeze expire was Likud not Kadima who is in power with the right wing parties currently, I was against this move but it looks like Bibi is smarting up:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/netanyahu-urges-top-ministers-to-extend-settlement-freeze-1.317164
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2010, 10:52:24 PM »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/1004/1224280310856.html

I am for continuing the partial freeze but that article is conveniently leaving out important information.  That being Israel has shown it is willing to give up land for peace be it the Sinai with Egypt or more recently Sharon's pull out of Gaza as well as some West Bank settlements.  There might be a faction of Israelis who want all the land to be Israeli but they are small and every country has a certain percentage of fundamentalists.

The number one party in Israel is Kadima a secular party which was created in the process of creating the policy of that pull out I mentioned and has members from Likud and labor.  I actually saw former deputy PM and current Knesset member Tzipi Livni today who is also the leader of Kadima and current opposition leader at a town hall style meeting and she was talking a lot about the need for peace and negotiations and arguments with current policies.  One thing you need to remember about Israeli politics is there are countless parties in the Knesset and Netanyahu's coalition is largely filled with right wing ones which are pushing him that way since if he goes against them they can pull out and then he is no longer PM.  Hopefully after the next election the right wing parties will lost some seats because the youth in Israel is largely secular.
Optimistic, but imaginary...  As long as the military/far-right keep the war(s) on the front pages, incite
the neighbors far and near to keep saying hateful and inflammatory things, and spin any efforts to make
peaceful connections with those neighbors as "weakness in the face of the enemy" (throw in a few words
like "terrorist"...), they'll always be at the very least the senior partner in a coalition. 

...which will leave them in a position to perpetuate the aforementioned war-rhetoric.

There's a quote that came to mind, and I looked up its origins and - surprise surprise - it comes from
a history of the 1956 Suez Crisis: "All politics is domestic politics" - Richard Neustadt
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2010, 02:39:15 AM »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/1004/1224280310856.html

I am for continuing the partial freeze but that article is conveniently leaving out important information.  That being Israel has shown it is willing to give up land for peace be it the Sinai with Egypt or more recently Sharon's pull out of Gaza as well as some West Bank settlements.  There might be a faction of Israelis who want all the land to be Israeli but they are small and every country has a certain percentage of fundamentalists.

The number one party in Israel is Kadima a secular party which was created in the process of creating the policy of that pull out I mentioned and has members from Likud and labor.  I actually saw former deputy PM and current Knesset member Tzipi Livni today who is also the leader of Kadima and current opposition leader at a town hall style meeting and she was talking a lot about the need for peace and negotiations and arguments with current policies.  One thing you need to remember about Israeli politics is there are countless parties in the Knesset and Netanyahu's coalition is largely filled with right wing ones which are pushing him that way since if he goes against them they can pull out and then he is no longer PM.  Hopefully after the next election the right wing parties will lost some seats because the youth in Israel is largely secular.
Optimistic, but imaginary...  As long as the military/far-right keep the war(s) on the front pages, incite
the neighbors far and near to keep saying hateful and inflammatory things, and spin any efforts to make
peaceful connections with those neighbors as "weakness in the face of the enemy" (throw in a few words
like "terrorist"...), they'll always be at the very least the senior partner in a coalition. 

...which will leave them in a position to perpetuate the aforementioned war-rhetoric.

There's a quote that came to mind, and I looked up its origins and - surprise surprise - it comes from
a history of the 1956 Suez Crisis: "All politics is domestic politics" - Richard Neustadt

That is the issue, as long as the ultra right wing parties have the power to pull out and have Bibi lose being PM he has to basically do what they say and Lieberman (theirs not ours.....but ours has been stupid too in recent months but on other topics  ;D ) keeps being an idiot it is an obstacle to peace.
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up