THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: all the cities in the world and so very little time. . .  (Read 1541 times)

EllaAnachronism

all the cities in the world and so very little time. . .
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:46:54 PM »

SO. . .I am originally from Boston (I lived there till I started jr. high) and I will be moving back to my beloved city this weekend. I must now find a decent job (which I am hunting for. If anyone has any leads, it would be greatly appreciated) and some wonderful/interesting new friends.

Are there any fellow Bostonian/AFPlovers in the Shadowbox that know of any cool places to go, things to do, etc.?

FrailAndBedazzled

• Eyesight to the Blind
Re: all the cities in the world and so very little time. . .
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:54:15 PM »

Boston=my hometown. 

Davis Square has the greatest coffee in the entire area (Alewife-bound red line train to Davis).  Diesel Cafe.  I recommend ordering a Tuck's Turtle with two shots of espresso.  Davis is also home to my favorite location of Anna's Taqueria, the bizarre but fascinating statues with the masks on (you'll know them when you see them), Mike's Place (amazing food), a couple of nice little stores, and the Burren, an Irish-ish bar owned and operated by actual Irish people.
Harvard Square is also glorious.  The Garage is the little minimall, with a Newbury Comics (I do hope you remember them from your time up there before), Hempest, Chameleon Tattoo and Body Piercing, a bizarre store specializing in middle eastern imports, an anime store if that's your deal, and a food court.  But for food in Harvard Square, you want other places, really.  Border Cafe does Cajun/Mexican food phenomenally well, the other side of the Garage has Crazy Dough's Pizza, across the street is Leo's Place (diner, nomnomnom), and waaaay on the other side of the square heading towards Central Square, downstairs, in a small locale, is the Amanda-recommended Cafe Pamplona.  If you're a smoker, there is a large and lovely smoke shop around there that has deliciously flavored pipe tobacco.  Coffee: Peet's Coffee and Tea.  Boston Tea stop, across the street from there, has delicious bubble tea and mochi.  Downstairs from that is Raven used books (GREAT place, but if you can't find what you're looking for head down the street past the train station and go for the Harvard Bookstore) and a record store that I adore whose name escapes me.  And down the alley next to them in one direction is Pinnochio's pizza, best pizza in the square.  There's an IHoP somewhere too.  And a Lush.  And an Urban Outfitters if that's your bag.  And Cardullo's fancy fancy grocery store.  And Hidden Sweets, the candy store/knicknack store.  And there's a movie theater that does Rocky Horror on Friday or Saturday nights.  And there's the American Repetory Theater where Amanda's did the Onion Cellar and will do Cabaret.
Central Square is for bars, concert venues (The Middle East!), various other coffees, Weirdo Records, the drag queen shoe store if your feet are abnormally large, and a nice walk. 
Downtown, there's Downtown Crossing, which I am personally not in love with.  Macy's, FYE, Starbucks...outdoor mall, basically.  And then there's the Corner, which is an indoor mall.  But the Commons/Public Garden are pretty.  And across from there is Newbury Street, where stores are really expensive, but nice to look at.  Actually, at the end of Newbury by best buy, there's Trident Cafe/Bookstore, so that's great.  And the original Newbury Comics.  Up on Boylston, across from the Prudential, is my favorite bar in downtown Boston, the Pour House (get the nachos).  The Prudential itself=fancy mall, but at least there's a Teavana and a big ol' Barnes and Noble.  Oh, and over by Berkley College of Music on Mass Ave is the army surplus store, which is amazing. 
And if you head down to Marlboro Street between Exeter and Fairfield, you will stalk my old high school :-)
Quote from: Fear And Loathing
I'll change my name to Mavis Diles when I'm 70, smoke cigarettes with a really long holder, and play a giant pipe organ in my backyard.

If you did it, say you did it
If you didn't, suck it up and say you did

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:42:29 PM »

Cambridge's River Festival is this weekend.

From the Western Ave bridge to the Eliot bridge along the Charles.
Nearest subway stop is Harvard Square.

Check out the older visiting Boston threads.
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

EllaAnachronism

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:37:39 PM »

Boston=my hometown. 

Davis Square has the greatest coffee in the entire area (Alewife-bound red line train to Davis).  Diesel Cafe.  I recommend ordering a Tuck's Turtle with two shots of espresso.  Davis is also home to my favorite location of Anna's Taqueria, the bizarre but fascinating statues with the masks on (you'll know them when you see them), Mike's Place (amazing food), a couple of nice little stores, and the Burren, an Irish-ish bar owned and operated by actual Irish people.
Harvard Square is also glorious.  The Garage is the little minimall, with a Newbury Comics (I do hope you remember them from your time up there before), Hempest, Chameleon Tattoo and Body Piercing, a bizarre store specializing in middle eastern imports, an anime store if that's your deal, and a food court.  But for food in Harvard Square, you want other places, really.  Border Cafe does Cajun/Mexican food phenomenally well, the other side of the Garage has Crazy Dough's Pizza, across the street is Leo's Place (diner, nomnomnom), and waaaay on the other side of the square heading towards Central Square, downstairs, in a small locale, is the Amanda-recommended Cafe Pamplona.  If you're a smoker, there is a large and lovely smoke shop around there that has deliciously flavored pipe tobacco.  Coffee: Peet's Coffee and Tea.  Boston Tea stop, across the street from there, has delicious bubble tea and mochi.  Downstairs from that is Raven used books (GREAT place, but if you can't find what you're looking for head down the street past the train station and go for the Harvard Bookstore) and a record store that I adore whose name escapes me.  And down the alley next to them in one direction is Pinnochio's pizza, best pizza in the square.  There's an IHoP somewhere too.  And a Lush.  And an Urban Outfitters if that's your bag.  And Cardullo's fancy fancy grocery store.  And Hidden Sweets, the candy store/knicknack store.  And there's a movie theater that does Rocky Horror on Friday or Saturday nights.  And there's the American Repetory Theater where Amanda's did the Onion Cellar and will do Cabaret.
Central Square is for bars, concert venues (The Middle East!), various other coffees, Weirdo Records, the drag queen shoe store if your feet are abnormally large, and a nice walk. 
Downtown, there's Downtown Crossing, which I am personally not in love with.  Macy's, FYE, Starbucks...outdoor mall, basically.  And then there's the Corner, which is an indoor mall.  But the Commons/Public Garden are pretty.  And across from there is Newbury Street, where stores are really expensive, but nice to look at.  Actually, at the end of Newbury by best buy, there's Trident Cafe/Bookstore, so that's great.  And the original Newbury Comics.  Up on Boylston, across from the Prudential, is my favorite bar in downtown Boston, the Pour House (get the nachos).  The Prudential itself=fancy mall, but at least there's a Teavana and a big ol' Barnes and Noble.  Oh, and over by Berkley College of Music on Mass Ave is the army surplus store, which is amazing. 
And if you head down to Marlboro Street between Exeter and Fairfield, you will stalk my old high school :-)

As for Diesel Cafe, I don't drink coffee. Yes, I know...I am a rare breed. lol
And yes, Harvard Square is great. :)
And bubble tea is something I have never had, but I have always wanted to try it. I'll have to check that out!
Ahh...a used bookstore. I will be checking that out. I LOVE bookstores... :3
A movie theatre that does Rocky Horror?! I must find that and go (...dressed as Dr. Frank-N-Furter. lol)
And I went to the a.r.t. to see the 4/12 Evelyn Evelyn show. I have heard about a thing there that I"d really like to check out...the Donkey Show? It sounds like a great big drag show. Sounds like it'd be fun. If anyone knows anything about that, has ever been let me know. I'd love to find out more about it.
Nachos + Army surplus = <3

Amys Dark Rose

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 08:59:07 AM »

These descriptions desperately make me want to travel again, and to visit Boston. It sounds like a great city

FrailAndBedazzled

• Eyesight to the Blind
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 03:53:42 PM »

The Donkey Show is SO FUCKING WORTH IT.  It's amazing.  I can't figure out how to describe beyond that.

Yeah, Rocky's on Church Street in the weird back section, near Border Cafe and Lizzie's ice cream.

And as for Diesel, if you don't do coffee, I'd recommend the normal Tuck's Turtle (it's hazelnut caramel hot chocolate with freshly made whipped cream) or any of the teas.  Great selection.  And, 'cause it's warm out around now, the thai iced tea is incredible.  And all of the food is damn good too.  A large portion (though not all) of it is vegetarian or vegan.

Amys Dark Rose: You should.  'Cause Boston is AWESOME.
Quote from: Fear And Loathing
I'll change my name to Mavis Diles when I'm 70, smoke cigarettes with a really long holder, and play a giant pipe organ in my backyard.

If you did it, say you did it
If you didn't, suck it up and say you did
Pages: [1]   Go Up