THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alcohol Laws  (Read 1953 times)

earthshine

• Lord of the Thighs
  • I've got terminal uniqueness!
Alcohol Laws
« on: June 04, 2010, 12:03:28 PM »

As promised elsewhere:

No matter what the legal age is, there'll always be someone flouting the rules and no amount of laws are going to change that. All that will happen is more people breaking the law.

I think that one way that could combat this "binge drinking culture" we supposedly have in New Zealand, is to increase education about drinking and it's consequences, all we mostly have are ads which show the violent sides to drinking, shock tactics, which are obviously not working.

What should the drinking age be(/should there be one)?

How can problems such as underage/binge drinking be tackled?
Quote from: Indja
Quote from: CeeGBee
Is pussy allowed in the Batcave?   :-\
Homophobe.

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

http://twitter.com/sisterdisco http://www.facebook.com/nat.davies1
ADD ME!!! :)

Paul Jon

Re: Alcohol Laws
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »

A friend of mine thinks that, paradoxically, trying to stop underage drinking is the problem. He explained that when he was 16 or 17 the pubs essentially turned a blind eye to older teenagers being served in pubs. Now, there are always loads of signs and police notices and such about no alcohol to under 18s, identity checks and so on. However, this doesn't stop under 18s getting hold of alcohol in the first place, so the end result is that teenagers drink with gangs of mates in the street instead of in pubs in the company of older adults. This is naturally a much less regulated environment, and they egg each other on to drink more and more.

earthshine

• Lord of the Thighs
  • I've got terminal uniqueness!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:06:48 AM »

A friend of mine thinks that, paradoxically, trying to stop underage drinking is the problem. He explained that when he was 16 or 17 the pubs essentially turned a blind eye to older teenagers being served in pubs. Now, there are always loads of signs and police notices and such about no alcohol to under 18s, identity checks and so on. However, this doesn't stop under 18s getting hold of alcohol in the first place, so the end result is that teenagers drink with gangs of mates in the street instead of in pubs in the company of older adults. This is naturally a much less regulated environment, and they egg each other on to drink more and more.
Also, it costs a lot less to get hammered on supermarket booze than in a pub (I'm sorry, but it's true)
Quote from: Indja
Quote from: CeeGBee
Is pussy allowed in the Batcave?   :-\
Homophobe.

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

http://twitter.com/sisterdisco http://www.facebook.com/nat.davies1
ADD ME!!! :)

jakepatch

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 02:18:28 AM »

Many years ago when I was a teenager I lived in Italy for a couple years due to my father being in the military. When I lived there, there was no drinking age, if you could walk up to the bar and order a drink you could have it. Thing is, the only "underage" people you ever saw in the bars was the americans that were there. Why? Because we could! You never saw italian kids in there because it was no big deal to them. The problem is, when you make something illegal, you are always going to have someone trying to break the law just because it is illegal.
 The thing is, because it is illegal in the US to drink underage, you are always going to have issues with underage drinking. But, because it is illegal, you could never make it legal because you would then have total chaos. EVERYONE underage would automatically fly to the bars and get wasted, and it would end up being a nightmare.
Pages: [1]   Go Up