THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Acceptable age difference  (Read 16195 times)

buttercup.

• the girl you have in that merry green land...
  • ...can wait forever for you to come home.
Re: Acceptable age difference
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 10:39:12 AM »

I did not have success dating a fellow thirteen years my senior. Nor did I have success with a five year age difference (though his constant mentioning of me being 'so young' was more obnoxious than him just being old).

Currently in a two year age difference and it's so awesome because we're actually in the same generation.  :headbang:

(I once kissed a guy 18 years my senior and it still grosses me out  :tongue7:)

CottonCandy

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 11:37:16 AM »

In some sitcom they said that acceptable age difference is taking your age, halving it and adding 7, to get the youngest "acceptable" partner. Suppose it'd go the same way other way around, so for example for me (24) youngest "acceptable" would be 19 and oldest possible 34. But I don't think it can quite work like that. My sister was claiming any age difference is ok as long as the man is older, and she was horrified to hear first when I told my boyfriend was 2,5 years younger than I was.

But really, I think the older you get the less it matters, and there are individual circumstances etc. But the bigger the age difference is the more I would worry about the older party having a massive influence on the younger, or trying to hasten things. Like if I had a friend who was 20 and they'd be going out with a 40-year-old, I'd worry. So really, you can't say until you get faced with the situation.

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »

i think age shouldn't matter past the age of 20. though, i do wonder how older people feel dating younger people. (by younger i mean more than 5 years difference) i mean, if you walked into a bar and saw somebody you think is hot would you go "no way dude, he/she's a kid!" or would it just be normal to you? i can't really say how i'd react since i'm only 18 and if i dated somebody 5 years younger than me..well, that'd be perverted, but for some reason i love women in their thirties. not that i'd have a chance.

I went out with a girl who was 30 and I'm 24 so just talk to them and see what's up.

My view on this is I really wouldn't date below 21 just for practicality issues, not being able to go to X, Y, and Z would suck.  As for age difference beyond that it is more mental age.  I know girls who are 21-22 and act extremely cool and laid back, then I know some in their 30's who still act like gossiping/drama filled 16 year olds.
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

Blue Canary

• You can't ignore my techno
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 03:17:46 AM »

In my opinion, if you're of legal age and both can be mature about the situation, I find it okay.
I'm 18, and I will go to 40. A lot of people find it really disgusting that someone my age would do that, but I've been able to relate more to adults than a lot of people near my age. I'm not trying to be pretentious or anything, it's just how I feel! haha :)
You should totally barf on all their dicks. I will help.

overratedtoejam

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 07:09:31 PM »

In my opinion, if you're of legal age and both can be mature about the situation, I find it okay.
I'm 18, and I will go to 40. A lot of people find it really disgusting that someone my age would do that, but I've been able to relate more to adults than a lot of people near my age. I'm not trying to be pretentious or anything, it's just how I feel! haha :)

that's basically how i feel. i just get along with older people better which also makes me more attracted to them.

after all those responses, i'm feeling better about my chances. those hot 30 year olds won't know what hit 'em. :coolsmiley:

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 07:48:26 PM »

I don't think age different matters in most cases.

But in saying that, I do often think twice when I hear of a 14 year old dating a 21 year old.
But I can't judge that because my parents are 7 years old, and while I still think it's odd that my dad was 7 when my mum was born, I've learned to accept that age difference doesn't matter in relationships when the feelings are mutual between the two. Now when a 14 year old is dating a 21 year old because he can buy her alcohol, and buys her drugs, and has "a cock the size of an iron pipe" then that I see as wrong for many reasons.

....really? Think it through, honey ;)

Really. They both suffer from this rare disease which prevents them from aging. It's a miracle they conceived and birthed 4 children.
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 08:16:15 PM »

In terms of age, mentality is most important factor in adult relationships. Some people are out of reach because of an inflexible personality. As for the young, that is complicated and other people in this thread have summed it up well: Developing personalities do not necessarily know what they want or what older people want from them.

There are cultural factors that sway things though. “Protection of the vulnerable” has varying shades across the board. Marrying a kid off young is sometimes deemed to be in the best interest of a child and that can lead to crazy age differences. I guess that it can work out ok if it really is in the best interests of the child and not just in the interests of the culture (of course, in most respects the two interests are inseparable and that’s where the controversy lies).

In the western kind of society, it is not surprising that parents can be quite protective though. These Parents have fewer good reasons to let their children go prematurely. Overall, it’s a mixture of consensus-type attitudes that pressurise others into conforming to a protectionist mentality (assuming that they lacked a protectionist mentality). Sometimes society is wise to be protective of its youngster’s choices, but perhaps there are also times that it underestimates its young lovers. It’s a trade off but still one that has the testimony of adolescent foolhardiness to support it.   

Blue Canary

• You can't ignore my techno
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 09:40:26 PM »

Until a certain age, I would NEVER date someone younger than I am. When you're still a fairly young teenager, your likes, dislikes, and beliefs change on a dime, and there is always a sense of insecurity that goes with being a teenager.
My best friend is dating someone two years younger, and though he is also one of my best friends, I wouldn't even think about it because he may act like an adult at times, but he is still really young.
You should totally barf on all their dicks. I will help.

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 03:26:22 AM »

...I'm totally after a 25 year old  :D
bitch please, my hate can't be contained in one thread.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 06:06:24 PM »

does she know yet?

#@!

slyvia k

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 06:24:31 PM »

i don't think i would date anyone below age 18, just for like, a moral and ''legal'' matter.
as for older, i always get along much better with people in their 30's or so, than with people my age. i'm an old fart, eh.
i think that it depends more on maturity than anything else though. not that i'm the most mature person ever, but so many girls my age are childish and drama queens and just, UGH.
although my ex seemed concerned about the age difference on a theoretical level, (she's 28, i'm 21) i just think she ended up being the immature one.... so i'll try and date women who are over 28 now :P

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 07:22:04 PM »

i don't think i would date anyone below age 18, just for like, a moral and ''legal'' matter.
as for older, i always get along much better with people in their 30's or so, than with people my age. i'm an old fart, eh.
i think that it depends more on maturity than anything else though. not that i'm the most mature person ever, but so many girls my age are childish and drama queens and just, UGH.
although my ex seemed concerned about the age difference on a theoretical level, (she's 28, i'm 21) i just think she ended up being the immature one.... so i'll try and date women who are over 28 now :P

well, that is just about the time that you females really start to get awesome...  O0

#@!

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 12:19:30 AM »

bitch please, my hate can't be contained in one thread.

JohnnyDBBUK

• Proud custodian of the Neville sisters souls
  • Where in time is Brian Viglione?
    • ~Gaslight Cabaret Club~
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 04:32:08 AM »

2 cats with an age difference working out alright

plasticmoo

• shewadda shewadda boom ba ba di doo
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »

2 cats with an age difference working out alright