THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 17 dead at Love Parade  (Read 1814 times)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
17 dead at Love Parade
« on: July 24, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »

disaster at world's biggest techno event:   http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38393697/

:'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

deepest condolences.

plur

slyvia k

Re: 17 dead at Love Parade
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 07:25:03 PM »

18 now. hundreds of wounded and some of them are in critical conditions.

and love parade is also huge on gay rights and stuff. aw. r.i.p.

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 08:09:43 AM »

now 19

sad that control is more important than safety
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 09:27:58 AM »

We've been overdue for one of these unfortunate incidents to happen. That last one I remember was the nasty Who concert in Cincinnati in 1979.

and for the record, this happened outside the actual parade, as the police had closed off the parade route due to an already overcrowded parade ground. They were also making announcements for people to turn around as well.

In the future, this can be avoided by:

1. Move the barriers back about 100 yards
2. complete closure of all potential bottleneck points, like the tunnel where all the dead were pulled from.

There were lots of lesson learned from Cincinnati, but they didn't learn them immediately. Ohio passed a law immediately afterword (in a very knee-jerk fashion) making general admission seating to concerts illegal. While that did initially solve the issue, it made concerts there more expensive, due to attendees limited to the number of actual seats.

The real solution has been in place in most cities of the US at least for a while. Those metal or concrete barricades moved at least 50 feet away from the actual doors to the venue absolutely prevents a repeat of the circumstances that caused the deaths at the Cincinnati concert.

A local concert venue for teens learned that lesson and were damn lucky nobody was hurt or killed. They didn't have the barricades in place to keep the crowds away form the doors. Needless to say the crowd leaning against the doors broke them off their hinges and I watched as the wave of humanity flowed like water up the stairs to the floor of the venue.

I was pissed and I had a word with the owner about how they had endangered several hundred 14-18 year olds in the process.

Needless to say, every concert since, they've had the metal barricades up at least 50 feet away from the doors and they've never had a repeat of the first concert.

Half Mar

• steals flamingos and gnomes.
  • Cake Sex Riot
    • Drumssss!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 09:52:24 AM »

The more I read about the organisation, the more pissed off I get. They could've stopped this from happening. A German guy posted a message somewhere last week, saying that bad things would happen. People would die. He was right. He knew about the tunnel where the accident happened, and that it wasn't a safe location for this. That area was okay for 500.000 people. One and a half million were there yesterday. I saw picture of the crowd before it happened, and the people didn't even have space to breathe. It's insane. The police were blocking the tunnel exit (or entrance, depends how you look at it I guess). If they didn't, people could just keep on walking instead of being in an area that takes away your air when you are there with a million people.

Anyway, it's very sad that this had to happen, and hopefully they will figure how this could happen exactly, and learn from it.
Quote from: Audrey
she's captain of the awesome ship
Quote from: Lucy
if you had a giant spoon you could scoop up an evil person with that spoon and feed them to a giant for breakfast -like a good hearty bowl of evil
Quote from: Chloe
my flatmates can suck on my meat loaf

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »

As I read the reports, it looks like the cops' mistake (if you want to blame them) was failing
to step in a lot sooner and say "sorry, the space is too small for any more of you to go in"...

Keep this in mind the next time a cop or venue security-guy tells you to stop crowding...
A little shoving at the edge of the crowd can become a smothering crush at the front.

We've been overdue for one of these unfortunate incidents to happen. That last one I remember was the nasty Who concert in Cincinnati in 1979.

I remember not so much the event itself, but that they built an entire episode of
WKRP In Cincinnati to discuss it......

"In Concert"

At a concert by the Who in Cincinnati on December 3, 1979, eleven kids were trampled
to death when the crowd rushed to get seats. The first part of this episode takes place
before that concert; the second act takes place the day after, and presents the characters'
reactions to the tragedy.
b: 11 Feb 80 pc: 043 w: Steven Kampmann d: Linda Day

NOTE: This episode was dedicated to the 11 people who died on 12/3/79 outside Riverfront
Coliseum in Cincinnati, OH. On 12/27/79, the City of Cincinnati outlawed general admission,
or "festival seating".

I think the general consensus is now that G.A. is okay - at least for smaller venues - but not
in conjunction with actual "seating"...  Standing people will still crowd each other, but what
caused the deaths in Cincy was the rush to claim "good seats" as soon as the doors opened.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Half Mar

• Cake Sex Riot
    • Drumssss!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 12:32:27 PM »

They just said on the news that the Loveparade will not come back anymore.
if you had a giant spoon you could scoop up an evil person with that spoon and feed them to a giant for breakfast -like a good hearty bowl of evil

buttercup.

• the girl you have in that merry green land...
  • ...can wait forever for you to come home.
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 12:06:50 PM »

Fuuuck.

Half Mar

• Cake Sex Riot
    • Drumssss!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 03:10:11 PM »

20 dead...
Pages: [1]   Go Up