THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Like" Amanda? Be sure to Zuckerberg-that-shit, and show her on Facebook... (The Dolls' Facebook is HERE)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 22  All   Go Down

Author Topic: cosplay  (Read 51177 times)

dangerpants

• I'd sell your heart to the junkman for a buck.
Re: cosplay
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 08:01:46 AM »

I am.... confused. When do you do this "cosplay" of which you speak? If it's at conventions and stuff, wtf do English people do, because as far as I can tell we don't really do conventions... And what do you do if you look shit all like the person you're trying to be? I mean, I struggle to think of any characters in really unspeakably nerdy AWESOME television shows that I wouldn't look like a tool pretending to be...

Some people cosplay randomly, but mostly at conventions or parties. There's a ton of anime, manga and comic conventions in England I think, you just need to find them. Over here you have to search, 'cos they don't advertise. They don't need to, a ton of nerds have their ears to the ground for this kind of thing. :D
And it's hard to look like an anime character, as they have giant eyeballs and unnatural proportions. XD It's not supposed to matter, it's supposed to be a way to celebrate your favorite characters. Even if you don't look like them, acting like them is certainly a good way to get who you are dressed as across. It's also a great way to get free cigs (bumming at conventions while dressed as a popular character is a cinch!) XD.
I'd look like a tool pretending to be the Doctor, but DAMN it'd be fun walking around like that, with psychic paper and telling people to run.  O0
Edit (now including pics!!): I used Walmart's extensive wardrobe selection (LOL) to dress up as a Jedi, and I ran around with a lightsaber at 3am.
I need to ask my fiance to upload the pics of me as Ed and Lady. Those are cuuuute!
So in conclusion it wasn't all the sex you were having, it was his suspicion that you were a vagina elf drug dealer.

Sarah Doll

• An Irresistible Reject
  • Gave into fear and chose life undercover
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 08:03:39 AM »

agree.

Dressing up is just so much fun :D

Oh, how delightful
Don't mind if I do
Help myself to a cup of this Broken Heart Stew

JohnnyDBBUK

• Proud custodian of the Neville sisters souls
  • Where in time is Brian Viglione?
    • ~Gaslight Cabaret Club~
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 08:46:42 AM »

I am.... confused. When do you do this "cosplay" of which you speak? If it's at conventions and stuff, wtf do English people do, because as far as I can tell we don't really do conventions... And what do you do if you look shit all like the person you're trying to be? I mean, I struggle to think of any characters in really unspeakably nerdy AWESOME television shows that I wouldn't look like a tool pretending to be...

England do tons of Cons ..*shakey fist across the pond*..
It's true that some people don't look like who they're trying to be, or look awful.. but it's all for fun. I try not judge but sometimes there's costumes/characters that just really don't suit the person.. not of the good.

not just england google invasion dublin.

Sarah Doll

• An Irresistible Reject
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 09:03:28 AM »

We've got a few.. Nom-Con, Eirtakon, Octocon are coming up soon. I'm hopefully going to one or two of those.

England (and N. Ireland) just get the great guests. They've had ssooooo many Whedon verse peoples!

Oh, how delightful
Don't mind if I do

JohnnyDBBUK

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 09:05:03 AM »

We've got a few.. Nom-Con, Eirthakon, Octocon are coming up soon. I'm hopefully going to one or two of those.

England (and N. Ireland) just get the great guests. They've had ssooooo many Whedon verse peoples!

Hi, if you ever need a place to crash near the N.UK/Scotland ones you can with me and audrey :)
(plus we'd probably go along)

Sarah Doll

• An Irresistible Reject
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 09:07:50 AM »

We've got a few.. Nom-Con, Eirthakon, Octocon are coming up soon. I'm hopefully going to one or two of those.

Hi, if you ever need a place to crash near the N.UK/Scotland ones you can with me and audrey :)

Aw, thankies! :D
I'll hopefully be able to take you up on that someday.

I really wanna go to Hallowwhedon! This year has Tudyk, Head & Stait already... :love5:

Oh, how delightful
Don't mind if I do

JohnnyDBBUK

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 09:09:58 AM »

Aw, thankies! :D
I'll hopefully be able to take you up on that someday.

I really wanna go to Hallowwhedon! This year has Tudyk, Head & Stait already... :love5:

np, we are well placed for events in Newcastle, glasgow and edinburgh.
in fact there is one called collector mania in August 21st 22nd which I am trooping at.
May be able to get a free pass.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 09:12:10 AM »

Ok, please please please don't take this badly, because I'm counting you all as the exceptions, but aren't these places full of really scary, socially retarded supernerds that smell bad and are.... dare I say it.... fat?? :o  I mean, like I said, I'm counting you all as the exceptions, my sexy gorgeous awesomers xD

JohnnyDBBUK

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 09:27:43 AM »

Ok, please please please don't take this badly, because I'm counting you all as the exceptions, but aren't these places full of really scary, socially retarded supernerds that smell bad and are.... dare I say it.... fat?? :o  I mean, like I said, I'm counting you all as the exceptions, my sexy gorgeous awesomers xD

actually no. you would be surprised. Most of them are alternative kids like the boxers.
mostly people into pop culture and yes there are some comic book guys but hey don't judge indja.
I mean some people think obsessing over AFP and the Dolls is kinda stupid too.
Some people think burlesque is just stripping
some people think street performers are failed drama students begging.
perceptions wooooo!!!

Sarah Doll

• An Irresistible Reject
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 09:32:49 AM »

actually no. you would be surprised. Most of them are alternative kids like the boxers.

I haven't really had Con experience but based on photos and people I know that cosplay/larp, I agree.

Speaking of larping.. I'm gonna be trying that soon. Nervous....
...haha.. larp! That always makes me giggle!

Oh, how delightful
Don't mind if I do

JohnnyDBBUK

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 09:41:57 AM »

I haven't really had Con experience but based on photos and people I know that cosplay/larp, I agree.

Speaking of larping.. I'm gonna be trying that soon. Nervous....
...haha.. larp! That always makes me giggle!

I draw the line there.
I like making/wearing costumes to entertain public etc but I do not roleplay.

ps watch this clip from a live repo man tv show - "this is no way to treat a Princess!!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIjBIZBzRrs           <skip the first minute

Sarah Doll

• An Irresistible Reject
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 09:53:43 AM »

I'm thinking of giving it a go. Even the once. It's my Summer of doing scary/new/aahh stuff!
It will not be anything like that video though! ;D ;D
..or I'm leavin'!

Oh, how delightful
Don't mind if I do

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 02:15:57 PM »

Aaah, I wasn't judging - I kind of realise that there must be awesome people there, because you cool kids go, but you know... stereotypes die hard. Certainly I know that my experiences of going into comic book stores have been a bit of a mixed bag; I was partly basing my thinking on that. Also, I'm way too shallow for my own good. But we know this xD

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 08:07:35 PM »

and Indja dear, if you ask Google-images or such a thing, it'll probably be happy to
show you some of the happy little costumed folk (both the  :D and the   :angry7: )
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 02:29:07 AM »

It seems a shame that so much is manga based though....
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 22  All   Go Up