THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: vinyl  (Read 2332 times)

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

vinyl
« on: July 30, 2010, 02:18:46 PM »

can someone tell me what's so great about vinyl? what does it have that digital music doesn't, and should i invest in a record player?
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
Re: vinyl
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 02:29:24 PM »

well, the adjective of choice to describe the sound of vinyl is "warm" - as opposed to digital's "cold" sound.

the low end (and low-mids) do seem to come across a bit better on vinyl/cassette (analog sound) than they do on digital sound; having said that, the only real reason to invest in a record player in my opinion is to have access to all the cool music that never was released in a digital format.

your call.

#@!

Half Mar

• steals flamingos and gnomes.
  • Cake Sex Riot
    • Drumssss!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 02:39:16 PM »

We don't have a record player that works anymore. I really want one again. As a kid I always put on old records from my parents, I just loved to look around their collection and listen to it. I have no vinyl, unfortunately (mostly because I have nothing to play it on), but I definitely want it. I just like it, but I am not sure why.

This was probably a very useless post.
Quote from: Audrey
she's captain of the awesome ship
Quote from: Lucy
if you had a giant spoon you could scoop up an evil person with that spoon and feed them to a giant for breakfast -like a good hearty bowl of evil
Quote from: Chloe
my flatmates can suck on my meat loaf

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 02:41:21 PM »

^
Just to add the first response…

Digital information is never as exact as analogue information (certainly not at cd level representation) and that means that there is a subtle distortion across the audio signal. In meaningful terms it should technically sound less natural.

The difference: It depends mostly on how discerning your ears are.

Also. The difference is most notable on a high quality audio system.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »

^
Just to add the first response…

Digital information is never as exact as analogue information (certainly not at cd level representation) and that means that there is a subtle distortion across the audio signal. In meaningful terms it should technically sound less natural.

The difference: It depends mostly on how discerning your ears are.

Also. The difference is most notable on a high quality audio system.
This is true, at least in theory....

In fact, normal humans don't have the money for a vinyl-playback system that can
reproduce the analog sound at a level of fidelity that can demonstrate the difference.

Imagine that you're trying to shave....
A blade is more effective than an electric.  Everyone knows that....

Now imagine that you're shaving in a moving car, probably on a bumpy road.

Ironically, the thing I think most people actually find appealing about vinyl is the
flaws...  the crackle and occasional pop...  You can actually get software to add
those things to your digital music (seriously), but clearly it's not the same...

Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 05:17:31 PM »

^

true enough...

Katherine May Williams

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 09:00:46 PM »

it's something old people and hipsters pretend is better than current methods of listening to music in a pathetic attempt to make themselves feel relevant and cooler than you.

ignore them. (And it.)

the only good thing about vinyl was the amount of space for sleeve artwork at afforded.

you can listen to practically anything that's ever been released via your computer now. (either been re-released digitally and is available to buy on itunes.. or, if not, its long ago been ripped and put online on some obscure music blog or other.)

don't let poser muso snobs make you feel you're missing anything.

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:19:30 AM »

it's something old people and hipsters pretend is better than current methods of listening to music in a pathetic attempt to make themselves feel relevant and cooler than you.

ignore them. (And it.)

the only good thing about vinyl was the amount of space for sleeve artwork at afforded.

you can listen to practically anything that's ever been released via your computer now. (either been re-released digitally and is available to buy on itunes.. or, if not, its long ago been ripped and put online on some obscure music blog or other.)

Kind of agree with this.
Last time I listened to an actual record, I was drunk, disappointed because it didn't live up to all that people say of them...but also mesmerised by it because my drunk brain thought it was amazing that 'IT'S SPINNING AND A THING TOUCHES IT AND MUSIC COMES OUT WHOA'. That isn't really relevant, though.

Also the thing about the flaws being something people like...I can enjoy it for the novelty value a few times, but if my CDs or my iPod did that to songs, I'd throw them out the window. That might come from expecting something different from them though. And I'm sure plenty of people disagree with me anyway and it's just how I feel about it blah blah blah.
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

JohnnyDBBUK

• Proud custodian of the Neville sisters souls
  • Where in time is Brian Viglione?
    • ~Gaslight Cabaret Club~
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:55:42 AM »

can someone tell me what's so great about vinyl?

I dunno it's shiny and looks damn good on Michelle Pffieffer

JohnnyDBBUK

• Proud custodian of the Neville sisters souls
  • Where in time is Brian Viglione?
    • ~Gaslight Cabaret Club~
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 09:57:33 AM »

ignore them. (And it.)

but the crackles are lovely :(

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 05:35:35 PM »

ignore them. (And it.)

Kind of a harsh assessment… But not entirely untrue. You would have to be finicky to get the most from the format: A good speaker system, A good record player + needle and a good sounding room. It’s completely impractical to get a room to sound good which means that what a person likes about a format is never going to be entirely for the reasons he/she thinks.

Apart from that there is the psychological experience that comes from active involvement with the format (changing-sides, watching it spin, watching the needle lifting off... the crackles). It’s all pretty subjective but it is something that people want from the vinyl experience and possibly something that others might find they begin to enjoy about it. I don't have vinyl myself, but I enjoy it when I encounter it.

Last time I listened to an actual record, I was drunk, disappointed because it didn't live up to all that people say of them...

hearing is effected by alcohol so maybe it sounded absolutely amazing... ;D only joking but alcohol does alter our auditory thresholds of some frequencies.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 07:42:25 PM »

As I mentioned elsewhere:

The performance of the Laser Turntable means "No Needle, No Wear ™." The LT features an absolutely contact-free
optical pickup system. Play a record thousands of times with no damage to the record. Get the same sparkling sound
on the thousandth play as on the first play.

The Laser Turntable allows you to...
  • Play your Vinyl Records without damaging them.
  • Discover great new analog sound in your Vinyl Records.
  • Play damaged Records with better results than a needle.
  • Have the convenience, control, and safety of playing Vinyl Records just like a modern CD player
    (the record is contained inside the machine, and with a remote control you can click to play any
    track while the LT tells you the elapsed & remaining times).

Only $12K to $16,400 , depending on options.   O0
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 07:41:06 AM »

Last time I listened to an actual record, I was drunk, disappointed because it didn't live up to all that people say of them...

hearing is effected by alcohol so maybe it sounded absolutely amazing... ;D only joking but alcohol does alter our auditory thresholds of some frequencies.

I don't know..it's possible that being drunk ruined it for me but I hardly believe it would have been that exciting either way.
Besides, it's not the only time I've ever listened to one or anything. Just the first time in a while and the first time since I'd noticed everyone babbling about how great they are.
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 01:19:59 PM »

I think we should go back to wax cylinders or even better Celluloid or shellac records.....all this new fangled vynyl makes my head spin
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel
Pages: [1]   Go Up