THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All   Go Down

Author Topic: UKULELEHEAD: Reprinting the vinyl...  (Read 18509 times)

Mitholas

Re: UKULELEHEAD: Reprinting the vinyl...
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2010, 01:51:34 PM »

^Trust me, anyone can play the uke with a bit of practice. I don't even like guitars or such, but the uke is really very simple to learn t play a bit. The Mahalo ones are really cheap though, which are what these are... repainted mahalo ukes.

muddyface

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2010, 05:06:45 PM »

The red vinyls, as much as people are arguing otherwise, are hardly unique. The only thing unique (that we know of) are the gold numbers, which is pretty pointless if you ask me, because there are no longer just 1000 of them. The colors aren't unique because it's just one of many 'rainbow' colors that are now planned. Now, if you had decided to reprint the vinyls in just black, then red would be pretty unique. But that's not the case. What was once a pretty neat idea for 1000 lucky people has now turned into a Pokemon-esque game, and I'm really disappointed that people were duped. I don't care what anyone says, I think we were duped. Maybe not intentionally, but we bought the vinyls thinking they were LIMITED. And regardless of the different colors, they aren't limited anymore.

I'm not butthurt because of a superiority complex. The orange reprint is, in itself, a wonderful idea. But it should have been planned in the beginning. You can't have your cake and eat it too. So the first 1000 sold in a few hours. At that point you should have kicked yourself for not planning more, pressed some CDs or something, and called it good. Not decide to print more vinyls. You can print the vinyls in every color of the rainbow, but they're STILL all going to be vinyls. They aren't 'limited,' they're hardly unique, and I think it's a ridiculous idea.

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2010, 06:08:54 PM »

The red vinyls, as much as people are arguing otherwise, are hardly unique. The only thing unique (that we know of) are the gold numbers, which is pretty pointless if you ask me, because there are no longer just 1000 of them. The colors aren't unique because it's just one of many 'rainbow' colors that are now planned. Now, if you had decided to reprint the vinyls in just black, then red would be pretty unique. But that's not the case. What was once a pretty neat idea for 1000 lucky people has now turned into a Pokemon-esque game, and I'm really disappointed that people were duped. I don't care what anyone says, I think we were duped. Maybe not intentionally, but we bought the vinyls thinking they were LIMITED. And regardless of the different colors, they aren't limited anymore.

I'm not butthurt because of a superiority complex. The orange reprint is, in itself, a wonderful idea. But it should have been planned in the beginning. You can't have your cake and eat it too. So the first 1000 sold in a few hours. At that point you should have kicked yourself for not planning more, pressed some CDs or something, and called it good. Not decide to print more vinyls. You can print the vinyls in every color of the rainbow, but they're STILL all going to be vinyls. They aren't 'limited,' they're hardly unique, and I think it's a ridiculous idea.

Your logic about the first printing not being special or unique runs itself into a circle. You can't dismiss specific characteristics available only in the first pressing as "hardly unique" when they truly are different from anything else available.

1,000 vinyls printed in a specific color - numbered in the order they were printed = unique.

The numbering is the very definition of unique - it actually makes each 1,000 red vinyl different from each other! surely something numbered as 1 is not the same as something that is numbered 877 or something that isn't numbered at all! The first pressing is unique (just like first edition of books, there will never be another first pressing).

Let's visit Merriam-Webster:
adjective:
distinctively characteristic

Yep, I'd say so.

Vinyl is a very interesting medium to sell music - bands have to fight all the time with labels to be able to release albums on it, and there are arguments all over the place that claim the kids ain't buying it - but suddenly there's been a surge of people demanding vinyl releases, and sales data and record charts are showing that vinyl collecting is not a dead art. It can be a gray area deciding how many vinyls to print or to take on the road. With the Evelyn Evelyn tour, the vinyl sold AMAZINGLY well in specific cities in Europe when it was unexpected (vinyl out sold CDs), and then again in the US tour, it was hit or miss as to how well it would sell period and in specific cities because CDs were also offered at the merch table.

In planning this release, as an EP and not a full length album, of a cover songs and not original tunes, it was tricky. This record could have sank or swim, no way to tell until after it was launched. And once it was launched and the red vinyl sold out amazingly quickly, there was an INTENSE demand for a reprint. In deciding whether or not to issue a reprint, you can bet your ass that we not only counted each pro and con, but we also were cooking up ways to make damn sure that the first printing buyers would receive even more than they bargained for - their packages will include extra goodies and treats (some that we were going to throw in anyway because we have the ability to do - we're packaging everything ourselves and by "we" I mean Me, Sean, Beth and Kayla) so you don't even know how unique, individual and personalized these merch bundles truly are.

To say that people were "duped" implies that it was a malicious and intentional to make people feel cheated, or to take the money and run - and nothing could be opposite from the truth. The fact of the matter is that 100s of people felt left out, and upset and it's not unusual in anyway to reprint records, so we figured out a way to appease the people that missed out AND the lucky 1,000 who grabbed it up first.

I fail to see how people were duped, cheated or mislead because future reprintings are in different colors. If anything, it makes it even more collectable to the first 1,000 and it makes it fun for people who want different colors. Me personally, I'd kill to have a blue record - dunno if they come in transparent blue, but that shit would be hotttt for UkuleleHead.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2010, 07:35:15 PM »

just to make very clear one thing that hayley touched on:

amanda took a chance at a decont loss of money if the red vinyl didn't sell well.  it was a gamble
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »

Do you actually know anything about collecting vinyl? Didn't think so.
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2010, 07:47:56 PM »

I brought the vinyl because it was unique, because I wanted something physical from it. Even with the reprints, it is still unique, and I'm excited to see what number I actually have, which is part of why I brought it, I have an EP from another band, which is hand numbered 576/1000, and I love the fact that I got somewhere in the middle.
And if Team Chaos (by the way, I'm uber jealous you have a chaos cave) are working to make sure that nobody feels duped, or ripped off (which I can't see how they would feel that way) then I'm even more excited to see what they come up with.
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

muddyface

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »

Quote from: Hayley Fiasco!
You can't dismiss specific characteristics available only in the first pressing as "hardly unique" when they truly are different from anything else available.

Sorry, I definitely don't see it that way. The way I see it is, you miss one color of the rainbow, you get the next one available. They're not 'truly different from anything else available,' they're nearly identical to all the other thousands of vinyls soon to be pressed!

And I admit, 'duped' was a very wrong term to use. I don't think we were tricked or anything, but I do feel it was wrong to call the vinyl 'limited' when that isn't true at all.

I love the record, I'm excited for my vinyl, I'm happy everyone's getting one, but the point is, there was information that should have been included SOMEWHERE. Something like, "If this goes well, expect more." But all the blogs leading up to the release made it sound like this was our only shot. So WHY is everyone acting like the demand was a surprise? Of course there's going to be demand for a limited item.

I gave my feedback like Amanda asked. I do take back what I said about the idea being ridiculous. I like the idea fine. I just think it should've been planned this way in the beginning, and if it WAS being planned this way, I wish we knew about it.

Quote from: totalfrog

Alright.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2010, 11:19:33 PM »

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of The Beatles' Yesterday & Today, would you?

Oh, no...  I want the one in the "butcher" cover... 
I mean, it's the same vinyl, so why does it cost somewhere in the low five-figures?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

insignifikunt

• Super Fan
  • ...Strength through Music...
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2010, 11:32:44 PM »

You can't dismiss specific characteristics available only in the first pressing as "hardly unique" when they truly are different from anything else available.

Sorry, I definitely don't see it that way. The way I see it is, you miss one color of the rainbow, you get the next one available. They're not 'truly different from anything else available,' they're nearly identical to all the other thousands of vinyls soon to be pressed!

And I admit, 'duped' was a very wrong term to use. I don't think we were tricked or anything, but I do feel it was wrong to call the vinyl 'limited' when that isn't true at all.

I love the record, I'm excited for my vinyl, I'm happy everyone's getting one, but the point is, there was information that should have been included SOMEWHERE. Something like, "If this goes well, expect more." But all the blogs leading up to the release made it sound like this was our only shot. So WHY is everyone acting like the demand was a surprise? Of course there's going to be demand for a limited item.

I gave my feedback like Amanda asked. I do take back what I said about the idea being ridiculous. I like the idea fine. I just think it should've been planned this way in the beginning, and if it WAS being planned this way, I wish we knew about it.

Alright.

I thought the WKAP book would sell out immediately because not only was it catering to Amanda's fanbase, but also Neils... The first edition still hasn't sold out... There are no sure things!
...Sing for the teachers who told you that you couldn't sing...

muddyface

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2010, 11:38:25 PM »

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of The Beatles' Yesterday & Today, would you?

Oh, no...  I want the one in the "butcher" cover... 
I mean, it's the same vinyl, so why does it cost somewhere in the low five-figures?

Because the 'butcher' cover is rare due to recall?

muddyface

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2010, 11:42:55 PM »

Alright.

I thought the WKAP book would sell out immediately because not only was it catering to Amanda's fanbase, but also Neils... The first edition still hasn't sold out... There are no sure things!

There certainly are sure things. If the WKAP book sells out, I can assure you there will be a demand for it. Certainly not as large as a demand for something limited to 1000 (if I remember correctly, the WKAP book has 40,000 copies), but there will definitely be people wanting one. I highly doubt there are exactly 40,000 people interested in that book.

CottonCandy

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2010, 01:56:32 AM »

I can't believe that someone joined/started posting for the first time just to complain about a damn vinyl. If you feel duped, I'm sure they can give you a refund.

roadkilleater

• chuckle is the new lol
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2010, 01:58:42 AM »

this is a weird place to jump into the conversation, but i agree with muddyface (and the great statement about black vinyl). i am totally happy that other people have a chance to get the ep. lets share the love... im down with that, but still, after i found out there was going to be a second pressing (and possibly more) i did stomp around the house all pissy. i could have waited until i had a little more money to spare instead of risking it and being broke. i do feel gipped, although i recognize it isnt fair and isnt cool. although i appreciate everything team chaos has done and is currently doing, i cant cover up the way i feel. limited pressing, in my eyes, means there will be no other pressing. limited vinyl pressing, in my eyes, means there will be no other vinyl copy running around besides red. when the original evelyn evelyn 7" (2007) was released as limited edition vinyl, there was a big crowd for that, but they didnt reprint it. no, they left people like me to illegally download it from the internet. and i had no
problem with that because when it came time for evelyn evelyn to put out a full length album, i knew to be ready. the limited edition 7" that i didnt get made me want the other stuff more. 

maybe this afp radiohead cover ep is a lesson for all. next time, those that didnt get the first pressing will be more prepared.

... amanda asked for thoughts and concerns and some people have given theirs, so dont get pissed. we all have different views. if youre happy with being one of the first 1000 even though there will be another 1000 after you, then thats great, but there are others who do feel differently. 

beth of all trades

• Joan of Arc
  • formerly girlwithacameranyc
    • beth hommel dot com
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2010, 02:07:32 AM »

Alright.

There certainly are sure things. If the WKAP book sells out, I can assure you there will be a demand for it. Certainly not as large as a demand for something limited to 1000 (if I remember correctly, the WKAP book has 40,000 copies), but there will definitely be people wanting one. I highly doubt there are exactly 40,000 people interested in that book.

It was an edition of 10,000, with some set aside for people who worked on the book, the archive, etc.  

Amanda has hundreds of thousands of twitter followers.  50,000+ people on her mailing list.  Tens of thousands of MySpace friends.  Add to that Neil's fans (of whom there are quite a few, I'm told) and you'd think that 10,000 copies would necessitate an instant reprint!

Except... that didn't happen at all.  It's two years later and the book is CLOSE to selling out, but not there yet.

NOTHING is certain.  We debated ordering 2,000, or ordering 500 vinyl and a bunch of CDs, or ordering 5,000 and ultimately we took a guess that we hoped wouldn't leave us with 800 vinyl sitting around our wareho... I mean, Sean's house.  Of course we hoped that there would be demand enough to call for a reprint and we planned a way to make things different enough so that the first edition truly was "limited."  

IF people want to collect rainbow vinyls, awesome.  If people want to swap their red for orange or wait hopefully for green, great.  And if muddyface or anyone else doesn't think that numbering and the exclusive wax color make their first-edition vinyl special enough, I will personally refund their money.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All   Go Up