THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AFP's not camera shy and her YouTube and Vimeo channels are chock-full of eye candy to prove it. Content's added to both all the time, so be sure to subscribe!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dolls?  (Read 2208 times)

Andy_P

Dolls?
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:34:35 AM »

Ever since I discovered the Dolls (from the DVD of the UK Roundhouse gig), they've been "on hold" and now they are rarely mentioned.
I've managed to see Amanda solo a couple of times now but was beginning to think the Dolls as a band was like the "elephant in the room" that no-one dares talk about.

But suddenly, her latest email news (HERE) announces "Amanda Palmer of the Dresden Dolls" at the top of the page!

Is this the "big news" she promises for September 7th? God, I hope so......

Andy Pants

• I'm a Roman Candle, my head is full of flames.
Re: Dolls?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:57:49 AM »

She's frequently described like that. It's a turn of phrase that doesn't mean anything. It's only used because the Dolls are still a lot more famous than AFP in many circles and a lot of people who casually listened / listen to the dolls don't necessarily know Amanda by name. It's common for a lot of musicians to be described this way e.g. 'Tim Rogers of You Am I' or 'Peter Garett of Midnight Oil'. Doesn't mean there's going to be a reunion anytime soon.
reality doesn't give a damn about our plans.

Quote from: Henry Rollins
Cynicism in nothing but intellectual cowardice. It's basically you not taking the time to deal with what is

Andy_P

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »

Shucks....
Thought It might be more significant because it was from AFP herself.

Ah well, I live in hope!

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »

Shucks....
Thought It might be more significant because it was from AFP herself.

Ah well, I live in hope!

http://www.theshadowbox.net/forum/index.php?topic=12069.0

#@!

indeciSEAN

• Das Ruling Klass
  • Rise of The Cephalobot!
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 11:54:46 AM »

There are a lot of new signups to the mailer via this contest I started, so I wanted to make damn sure that anyone who was checking out Amanda from a friend's recommendation made the correlation. I'm often surprised how many people like Amanda and The Dolls but don't know it's her...and, as Andy Pants said, it's not as though she isn't referred to that way sometimes.

Sorry to get your hopes up, but thanks for being on the list and hopefully staying tuned...  O0

Hayley Fiasco!

• mgmt jr.
  • Administrator
  • WKAP is in the Black 9s of WHRW's record library
    • hayleyfiasco.com
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 02:30:20 AM »

Wait... Amanda's in the Dresden Dolls? Omg, I LOVE the Dresden Dolls!!
;)

It's kind of like how journalists sometimes say "Amanda Palmer, former Dresden Doll..."  because the band has been inactive for a couple years, but yet other journalists will write "The Dresden Dolls' Amanda Palmer..." it's semantics. may not have any meaning other than what it's literally there - a description to associate Amanda with the band.
@HayleyFiasco

Member of Team AFP

Lani

• I am composed of around 90% biscuit dough.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 01:08:49 PM »

Ever since I discovered the Dolls (from the DVD of the UK Roundhouse gig), they've been "on hold" and now they are rarely mentioned.
I've managed to see Amanda solo a couple of times now but was beginning to think the Dolls as a band was like the "elephant in the room" that no-one dares talk about.

But suddenly, her latest email news (HERE) announces "Amanda Palmer of the Dresden Dolls" at the top of the page!

Looks like you were right after all, matey!
I have a little art blog at: www.laniarts.blogspot.com

indeciSEAN

• Das Ruling Klass
  • Rise of The Cephalobot!
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:14:32 PM »

Looks like you were right after all, matey!

The troof can finally be revealed!  >:D
Pages: [1]   Go Up