THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The food budget thread  (Read 3898 times)

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
Re: The food budget thread
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 12:41:02 PM »

Lots of pasta, rice, couscous etc.

Cheap veggies like green beans in massive quantities.

Even though the quality is not as good unless you are getting them from a farmer in season frozen veggies are the way to go, they can be less than half the price.  A pound of sugar snap peas is a great start for a stir fry, put in a lb of tofu (also a dollar) some minced garlic (2.99 for 3-6 months worth) and your sauce (2-3 dollars and it is good for a few meals...that is if you go to the Asian market, otherwise it is mad money and make your own).

Frozen dumplings.....2.99 bag that is almost 2lbs, this will last you multiple meals with rice.

Chicken bottom 1/4's...usually 70-90 cents a pound.
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »

not actual food, but...

I had an earlier edition of this book; it walks you through almost every food preparation method imaginable. I can truly give it a 5-star rating.

...and, as the pic suggests, you can go to amazon and look inside. :)

#@!

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 01:08:48 PM »

Ohkay gaiz. Needs help.

I'm in catered halls, which means I get my breakfast and my dinner but not my lunch. I have in my room 2 packets of biscuits and some flapjack. I feel unconvinced of their ability to see me through every lunchtime between now and the end of the year. I can't cook, I hate cooking, and I also hate shopping for food. What to do, what to do?! So far I've been having a big breakfast and basically lasting until tea-time, or I've gone to a cafe in town for a delicious mushroom toastie and a cup of tea - but I don't know how much money one ought to expect to spend on food, so I don't know if £4 for lunch is extortionate or whut.

On a side-note, I also don't know where the washing machine is on my campus or how to use a washing machine. I think you have to sort things, but I don't really know what that means. I realise this isn't relevant, but I thought you'd like to know ;)

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 01:27:12 PM »

Ohkay gaiz. Needs help.

I'm in catered halls, which means I get my breakfast and my dinner but not my lunch. I have in my room 2 packets of biscuits and some flapjack. I feel unconvinced of their ability to see me through every lunchtime between now and the end of the year. I can't cook, I hate cooking, and I also hate shopping for food. What to do, what to do?! So far I've been having a big breakfast and basically lasting until tea-time, or I've gone to a cafe in town for a delicious mushroom toastie and a cup of tea - but I don't know how much money one ought to expect to spend on food, so I don't know if £4 for lunch is extortionate or whut.

On a side-note, I also don't know where the washing machine is on my campus or how to use a washing machine. I think you have to sort things, but I don't really know what that means. I realise this isn't relevant, but I thought you'd like to know ;)

£4 is waaaay too much to be spending on one meal. Sometimes I can get 6-8 meals for £4.50. Not madly nutritious but filling...(pasta with tomato based sauce if anyone's interested)

Pasta is your friend. As are sandwiches/toasties. Again, not very high in nutritional value, but if you're getting breakfast and dinner you should be fine.

Also, sorting your clothes is fairly important if you don't want to ruin your favourite light coloured top/bra/underwear. Aaaand colour catchers are amazing.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »

Ohkay gaiz. Needs help.

What do you have to work with?  Stove?  Microwave?  Toaster oven?
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 03:17:15 PM »

Any questions?

Oh, and do you have a fridge?
What do you have to work with?  Stove?  Microwave?  Toaster oven?
  ?
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »

Sorting is pretty much as simple as separating white/almost white things from everything else, and then washing the two loads separately. Washing machines aren't usually difficult, just put the clothes in, preferably around in a ring so that they pile up to the same height in the basin all around, put a scoop of detergent in the detergent holder, or dump it on the clothes if there isn't one. Close the lid, follow the instructions on the machine. There is generally a power button, a water level button, (which you can obviously figure out from how much stuff you put in) a water temperature button (cold is best, its cheaper and doesn't breed bacteria like warm does, although some care labels specify they need a warm wash, you can often ignore that), and a start button. This is for a normal wash, the other manner of sorting is for "gentle machine wash" items, which you sort by reading the care labels, and there is usually a button/switch/dial with "gentle" or some such word written on it, which you select when doing that load :)
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 03:04:51 AM »

Ohkay gaiz. Needs help.

I've found that buying a bulk lot of nuts and dried fruits, and then keeping them in a sealed container/bag often satisfies me for a couple of weeks, depending on how much I buy/how hungry I get throughout the day. Depending on what you get, it could be pretty expensive at one time, but it's good for you, unless of course, you're allergic to nuts...then you're fucked :D
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 06:56:04 AM »

You're so handy :) I love the Box!

Right, appliances-wise, I have a fridge which is FULL of other girl's food, a freezer box that doesn't seem to be any colder than the fridge, a microwave with a hob on the top which I don't think I dare use, and a kettle. I also don't have any like saucepans or anything xD The Pot Noodles are calling....... o.O

One interesting thing though - I really haven't been all that hungry since I got here. I mean, take yesterday as an example. I slept through breakfast and got up at 12, forgot to have lunch, and then at teatime I only had like half a plate of rice and most of an apple and I was fine. When I got in at midnight I had three chocolate digestives on the trot, but that was just cos they're yummy xD This happen to anyone else when they went to uni?? It's weeeiiiird.

@Astica - thank you!! I'm almost certain I can work it out. If not I'll have to go clothes shopping oh-no-poor-me-how-awful xD But no, I'm sure it'll be reet. Just got to find the machine now xD Oh, and probably get like a laundry basket or something?? Or at least a bag? I dunno.

Btw, I feel like putting a little disclaimer at the bottom here - Indie Ninja is in fact rather clever. She can write an essay like a muthafucka, and analyse the shit out of almost any text put in front of her. She is an award-winning poet (lol!), and has many other skills and talents that should be taken into consideration when judging her mental capacity. Logic, mathematics and common sense, however, are not her strong points. Forgive her.

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 09:41:14 AM »

If you really hate cooking but are hungry enough there is always the option of buying tinned food and eating it cold (dare I say it)out of the tin. Usually a good idea to pour half into a tub/bowl for another day. Many interesting options out there for folk willing to sacrifice a warm meal for convenience. Jarred foods can be good too.  A good tin opener is a must.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 10:03:15 AM »

If you really hate cooking but are hungry enough there is always the option of buying tinned food and eating it cold (dare I say it)out of the tin. Usually a good idea to pour half into a tub/bowl for another day. Many interesting options out there for folk willing to sacrifice a warm meal for convenience. Jarred foods can be good too.  A good tin opener is a must.

Actually, I do have an enormous liking for cold canned spaghetti. It's Just. So. FIT! Besides, I get my breakfast and dinner, so there's not that much damage I can do with one meal a day xD

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 01:27:22 PM »

Usually a good idea to pour half into a tub/bowl for another day.
I would just like to emphasise this. Do not leave the uneaten half in the tin! It goes yucky in the fridge, if you do. Something to do with the metal oxidising? I don't know. Bowls ftw, anyway.
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 09:35:18 AM »

Right, appliances-wise, I have a fridge which is FULL of other girl's food...
Is it her fridge?  or do you two need to have a little chat about that arrangement?

One interesting thing though - I really haven't been all that hungry since I got here. I mean, take yesterday as an example. I slept through breakfast and got up at 12, forgot to have lunch, and then at teatime I only had like half a plate of rice and most of an apple and I was fine. When I got in at midnight I had three chocolate digestives on the trot, but that was just cos they're yummy xD This happen to anyone else when they went to uni?? It's weeeiiiird.
Eating something at regular intervals is a good idea.  If your body thinks food is becoming scarce, it looks
for opportunities to store-up...  This is particularly bad if the things you do eat when you get around to it
are sugary/starchy -  These metabolize quickly, and you get blood-sugar spikes and/or stashed-away as fat.    :embarassed:

Also, beware the "HIGH" setting on the clothes-dryer.  Yes, it's faster, but it shinks yer clothes.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 09:55:29 AM »

I find the easiest and most effective way to save money on food is to eat less. To achieve this, at weekends or free days, I don't eat til maybe 3oclock, often later. I'll usually eat something big and then not really eat for the rest of the day. Maybe a sandwich. On weekdays/uni days/work days, I'll have breakfast but I'll skip lunch or have something really little, like a sandwich. In the evenings, I'll have fish/chicken (frozen obvs, it's cheaper) with chips. After I'll have coffee and some chocolate that my landlord's bought.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »

Right, appliances-wise, I have a fridge which is FULL of other girl's food...
Is it her fridge?  or do you two need to have a little chat about that arrangement?

Eating something at regular intervals is a good idea.  If your body thinks food is becoming scarce, it looks
for opportunities to store-up...  This is particularly bad if the things you do eat when you get around to it
are sugary/starchy -  These metabolize quickly, and you get blood-sugar spikes and/or stashed-away as fat.    :embarassed:

Also, beware the "HIGH" setting on the clothes-dryer.  Yes, it's faster, but it shinks yer clothes.

1. Sorry, I meant girls', not girl's. Grammar fail.

2. I know I should eat more regularly, but don't worry - tomorrow I start actually going to school and stuff, which means I can get up for breakfast, then my college has an almost compulsory tea-and-biscuits break mid-afternoon (this is the right college for me ;) ) and then serves lunch at about the same prices as school dinners were at home, and then I can come back for my tea :) So I'll be all set! Today I haven't eaten anything at all because I only just got up (it's two minutes to five o'clock, btw xD)

3. Lisa, one of the German girls, has agreed to show me how to use the washing machine, on the understanding that she's allowed to mock me for my ignorance for the duration xD
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up