THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda's got a blog. If blogs could talk, it'd ask you to read it. It might even say "please."

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fan donations to become the future of music industry?  (Read 1217 times)

absynth aura

• Fill me with your
Fan donations to become the future of music industry?
« on: September 20, 2010, 06:25:55 PM »

Okay, so we've all seen that this can work in various ways, but how common will it become? Earlier in the year I made a "fantasy" donation to a band to go towards the recording of their new album, in this case it just so happened that with the attention that came from these "fantasy" donations, they picked up the notice of a record label who signed them for the next album. And as we've recently seen AFP has done a similar thing with Tristan Allen, and also a with Ukulelehead, and it won't be the end of the road for artists like these.

Today, I got this email delivered to my inbox:
We're trying something kind of new.

We're trying to raise funds to cover the costs of recording and working on our new album.

For your donation, you will receive an unreleased Collide mp3. It's our version of Peter Gabriel's song "Games Without Frontiers" that we made especially for this. It won't be on the new album, and the only place you will be able to get it is by donating on our store.

It's in our "Special Packages" section here...
http://www.noiseplusmusic.com/store/index.php?cPath=54

With any donation of $20 or more, you will also get your name in the credits of our new album, as a special supporter.

And now some background on Collide, and to anyone who isn't familiar with how me make music:

We are a completely self run entity. We are our own record company. We do our own recording, producing and mixing. For any of our cover songs that we record, we pay all of the licensing fees. We do all of the artwork that you see, and make all of the merchandise that you find on our store. All of your orders are processed directly from us, with no middlemen.

We've been making music this way since the year 2000.

Here are some interesting facts that some of you may or may not know about the business of being a musician, and what enables us to continue to make music:

* If you buy something directly from our website, and you spend $10, we get the whole $10, minus only the processing fees from either the credit card company or paypal.

* If you purchase something from iTunes, we get about 67 cents for each dollar you spend.

* If you purchase a CD from someplace like Amazon, we get about 45 cents for each dollar you spend.

* If you download something from a torrent site, we of course get $0.

Our announcement of our new donation idea comes only days after we received a message on our facebook page from someone (umm...we'll call her Mandie) that had downloaded almost all of our releases for free. That's about 150 songs. We love Mandie, and we're glad she likes our music enough to keep coming back for more, but the truth is that there are costs that we have to pay to continue to do what we love, and hopefully what you love to listen to.

For anyone who feels like they can help out a little, or for people like Mandie who have been getting our music for free, now is your chance to help and donate to help us continue to make music.

Please Donate Now
http://www.noiseplusmusic.com/store/index.php?cPath=54

Music makes the world a better place to be.

love,
xx
kaRIN & Statik

So what are people's views on this? Will it strengthen the industry, or will it in some way become the downfall of the industry as we know it?

Personally, I'm all for donating to certain artists. But if this will be how the majority of "underground" artists put out records, then I'll be less reluctant to donate to the ones I want because there will be more choice than my wallet can handle.
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

Breschau

• woo-ah-oo
  • Damnit
Re: Fan donations to become the future of music industry?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 01:03:40 AM »

I have no idea whether it'll strengthen the industry and such, but on a personal level I have no problem with "underground" artists going this route.  CD prices have generally fallen by quite a bit over the last few years, so I don't mind paying the difference to those whose music I enjoy but who don't have a large audience.  If the number of artists I like that go this route increases past my ability to pay then I'll just be more selective using criteria such as which ones I've already donated to, which ones have the smaller audiences, and obviously which ones I like the most.

I admit I'm a little perturbed at the idea I'm subsidising those who are unable or (I suspect more frequently) plain unwilling to pay at all, but eh that's not unique to this scenario.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Pages: [1]   Go Up