THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dear Shadowbox, Why am I having such a hard time coming back here?  (Read 16965 times)

CaffeinatedCassadie

• Faceboooook
Re: Dear Shadowbox, Why am I having such a hard time coming back here?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 02:38:00 AM »

Oh, hey, cool I'm not the only one. I haven't been on here in months.

In the upper forums its all discussion about Amanda's (really awful) new music and other (really dumb) things she is doing or going to go. Don't kill me.  Not much to do with the Dolls at all, and that's the music I was originally here for. And in the lower forums where I used to meet some really interesting, creative, smart, artsy people, and read neat discussions has a ton of the same stupid shit I could surround myself with in my high school. I think one of my main gripes is that, for the most part, the people who are really active right now and have been for the past 2 years or so all share the exact same opinions on everything, making this a really boring and redundant place to be. The threads are pitiful (such as total time logged in, threads devoted to individual songs' chords, Amanda's Iphone, and MANY others) which of course doesn't aid in decent discussion.

So basically I'm saying I've tried to come back but realized that this place hardly interests me at all and is nowhere near the shadowbox that I used to love.

Just my opinion. If this makes no sense it's because I'm tired.
bitch please, my hate can't be contained in one thread.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 12:03:32 PM »

when i first got here, it was because of a really awesome little concert, and in all the links i was given, this was one of them.  i've had a little experience with message boards and seem to like them a lot, but damn did i feel out of my league here.  i figured at first i was too old to make sense to anyone now; i remember posting a lot with no responses.

reading all the old stuff just on this board was pretty damn fun.  i got here just in time for the alyss decline and fall, and his ill-fated date with elaine.  and, i hoped that was the last of similar drama (having already surfed through the whole troll/tranny issue with friends, in person), but it seems that was the last of any drama at all.

not that i'm looking for drama.  but i don't find much to stimulate an actual discussion, other than critical commentary, and even that is reacted to with kneejerk instead of more discussion, and then promptly dropped.  and well, it seemed when i got here that the artistic side of people was still being stimulated and called forth, but now, not so much.  i think it's interesting that in the thread about the tarot deck, people have been asking for an update on the project since march, with no answer whatsoever.  i keep expecting someone to show up and fuss at people for getting impatient, assure everyone that whatever the new decision is is awesome, and fuss at everyone again for not knowing just how much work they actually do, like in the past when pre-orders got messed up or whatever.  but it is even more interesting that, nothing, no response.

ever since i turned off twitter (around the end of summer; i just couldnt read one more dinner menu or 'we went to the music store' or whatever), it has seemed like the sb lacked something vital.  i have really come to despise twitter; i'd rather read anyone's long-ass rambly blog than their forty-character sentence on the state of their fridge.

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »

it has seemed like the sb lacked something vital. 
It has become twitter. Or at least twitteresque. I have noticed it happening in other places too. The Shadowbox is not the only board to be suffering from the 140 character curse.
When the Dolls went on hiatus it seemed like a lot of Boxers did too - which is totally understandable. At this point it feels like something needs to happen or it's going to die.

Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 03:28:52 PM »

^ this.

The SB is suffering from what most message board suffer from: An insular mindset that really prevents actual discourse as disagreement gets torched so quickly as to make it obvious that a good chunk of the active posters don't really want to hear dissenting opinions.

Cheddars Cousin

• I'm no Gouda
  • Legendairy
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »

That's not true!

Take it back!

Musings

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »

It's all good.
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »

^ this.

The SB is suffering from what most message board suffer from: An insular mindset that really prevents actual discourse as disagreement gets torched so quickly as to make it obvious that a good chunk of the active posters don't really want to hear dissenting opinions.
but...but....dissenting opinions, handled maturely, are what causes diversity and furthered understanding.  one would think people would want that.

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »

Well, think of how the media operates these days. Us vs. Them. Red vs. Blue. Rich vs. Poor. It's become very polarized.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2010, 05:24:58 PM »

how revolutionary, then, would it be for the hipster/pop/cool people communities to reverse that into counterculture by INSISTING on being diverse?

i know how stupid what i am saying sounds, by the way.

Musings

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2010, 05:30:04 PM »

So, be the dissenting view.  Create your own diversity.  Force other people to think about a controversial topic an interesting way. 
www.upstreamofconsciousness.blogspot.com

"Just dance, gonna be OK, just dance." - Lady Gaga, inspired by Rainer Maria Rilke

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »

So, be the dissenting view.  Create your own diversity.  Force other people to think about a controversial topic an interesting way.  
i really only think i would be able to do that as it comes naturally, since i am not habitually a voice of dissent, and purposely being a voice of dissent would be kind of dishonest if i happened to be one of the masses on an issue, or even fall pretty squarely in the middle, which i generally do.  generally i only disagree with fundamentals or processes anyway, so when i criticize one aspect of a thing i am not necessarily criticizing the whole thing, and it seems hard to keep those concepts separate in any forum, frankly.  although, it would be nice to feel able to offer a dissenting view when i have one, without seeming negative.  i'm not even saying i feel oppressed, per se.  only that it is nice to feel free to say what's on one's mind in any instance without it necessarily being taken as me just being an asshole.

also the concept of 'forcing people to think' in any way always kind of leaves me with a weird feeling.  i'd rather subversively and steadily change the flow of opinion to my point of view with positive tactics; people resist less if they are having fun while you brainwash them.   ;D

N.U.

• Initials... OF DOOM!
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »

people resist less if they are having fun while you brainwash them.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »

see?

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2010, 12:15:36 PM »

True about the brainwashing.
A fun song made it very easy for me to accept being inculcated with the English alphabet. My brute animal brain loved it.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2010, 12:36:42 PM »

True about the brainwashing.
A fun song made it very easy for me to accept being inculcated with the English alphabet. My brute animal brain loved it.

i would not, to this day, know the preamble to our constitution if it had not been for 'schoolhouse rock.'  i sat in class and sang this to myself while writing when we had to memorize it. i was at a new school, even, and hadnt been given the assignment, but i aced it anyway.  those guys have no idea how much my generation owes them. 

i dont know how to embed.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_TXJRZ4CFc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All   Go Up