THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BLOG: the mutation of embarrassment, art & random thoughts of the morning.  (Read 4048 times)

Amanda Palmer

• NAMASTE MOTHERFUCKER
  • Global Moderator

...in which i pose some questions, and wait for the comments. how do you art, and why? what kind of reader-of-things-amanda are you? and do you remember that fateful sponge/vaginablog?

read it here on amandapalmer.net
or here on myspace

p.s. if you wanna share it on twitter or facebook or whatever else floats your boat, please do. sometimes some of the more interesting comments are left by people who get invited into this party and don't know much about it. either way, please use this link, should you feel so inclined: http://bit.ly/ARTbarrassment

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight

best amanda blog laugh in a while

there is stuff that use to belong ONLY to you
(that you would have shared in the past)
that now is shared with neil, belongs to both of you
(and you keep your blog to just you,
 being quite discreet,
 and not invading other's privacy)

a shift that is just fine,
particularly since you share your side of your joint
happiness, and public stuff about neil,
and that more than balances the shift out

please DON'T go to any formal effort to make the blog ART.
you sharing quickly what you wish, works fine

your tweets don't do as much for me,
as the blog paragraphs they would have been
(i note that quite a few "anecdotes" find their way to both)

twitter is less bang for the time spent for me,
than other places on the web.
there might be a interface out there,
that would change that for me.
(i doubt it)
i love to see the full threaded tree/network
of tweets,
but it's not designed that way
(which is why i douby it)

they are days at time, i don't look at twitter.
then catch up on you and few others.
but in many ways,
i'm neither a typical fan nor
a typical internet user

it's good to mention shadowbox.net first,
in places to comment

the sbox is a lot smaller than it use to be,
and less focused on brian/amanda/d.dolls art,
and art in general

lot's of factors
- the d.dolls hiatus
- the growth of the internet and social networking, especially twitter and facebook
- fans moving on due to the hiatus, not being in to wkap +/or evelyn/evelyn,
  and just shifts in their taste
- ? ? ?

so asking peeps to comment here first,
and hanging out here more when you can,
could help

you could split blog entries into PROMO only,
and everything else ONLY,
but i don't think it's worth the effort

the mixed entries are already well segregated,
and any fan who can skim quickly over the PROMO parts,
doesn't really appreciate the blog
or understand the realities of your life
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

kcbk

The genius thing about your blog is that it is promotional BECAUSE it is personal.

Your blog makes your fans (myself included) feel like they are a part of something-- or better, it includes them in your life in a way that actually DOES make them a part of something.

Through your writing, your performing and your music you have become a symbol, to me at least, of pure creation. The beauty of your enterprise is that it is completely organic, or at least seems so. You get a beautiful message out by any means you want-- Music, Speech, Blog, Twitter, Photography etc.-- and the message permeates all of it. What that message is? Whatever the hell you want it to be. But its you.

Thats what seems to separate you from the fame grabbing Lady Gagas and Madonnas of the world. You use the other mediums for your message, not just for exposure. Sure, you conveniently get kick ass exposure in the process, and you are certainly allowed to utilize that from time to time, and people will probably respond negatively or tune out when that seems to be too much- but thats the nature of the beast. But their music and image is the medium for their art, and all else is promotion-- while all of yours is art, mixed with a lot less promotion spread across the board.

The dangerous side to your enterprise is that because you are so willing to cross boundaries, be personal, and give what some consider TMI, you are putting yourself on a limb where people might not like what you're doing. Crossing boundaries will be taken as "counter-cultural". So essentially, you will have a smaller but extremely devout "cult" following. And since you seem to be okay with that-- what you're doing is perfect.

But while all the mediums are fantastic (except twitter), the music is key.

robby

• awkward teenage boy
    • blog

Social networking as a whole is such a completely messed up medium, if it can even be called a medium. Blogging has lost its intimacy, Twitter is taking over the world, Facebook is turning into Myspace, and you are one of the pillars keeping social networking on its feet. I don't care if Twitter takes over the world if you're part of it, and I will gladly read any blog you ever write. Do whatever the hell you want. I personally really enjoyed the sponge story.

Bob

• art stuff

I kinda stopped reading and started skimming when you stopped writing about your TMI stuff.  Partly it was due to lack of time on my part... but also that was the stuff I found more interesting.  I think it is important for you as a performer to promote yourself, but I was already hooked by your music and stories, so I don’t exactly need to be promoted to… You come to town, I try and make the show.  I don’t shop, so the tshirts and stuff gets skimmed over too.  Twitter.  I could care less about.  I think that is a personality thing here.  I don’t prescribe to the whole fancy phone that’s all connected to the internet… I don’t want a thousand texts from everyone I like telling me what they doing at any given moment.  And I honestly don’t understand the need to be so connected… For a performer, yes.  I get the need... but my friends and for myself, I could really give a shit about the stream of consciousness that is so often dribbled out.  Just tell me something real when I see you... don't tell me you are at the store and you stubbed your toe.  I care, but not that much.  But I did love the blogs filled with honesty about (potentially) embarrassing subjects mostly because I envied your ability to do so without regret.   

absynth aura

• Fill me with your

I think the thing that I like most about the blog, is that it's a swiss army knife of sorts. It brings everything into one place, but not everything is out at once. Chances are that if I want to find something out, I'll head to the blog first, and 90% of the time, I can find what I want on the blog.
It also doesn't follow what I see as a typical blog format, there's many different entries, some more indepth than others. Which brings me to twitter. I like twitter because it can give you those quick tidbits on information that would seem pointless to create a blog post around.
Also I find the twitter feed to be amusing at times, the photos posted, the quotes from people, just the general things that are noticed, and quickly sent out to the world of the internet.

Basically, I think that what Amanda has going right not works for her, I'm not saying that it will work for anyone else because it might, but I think that if she changed the way she did things, getting info out etc, then there is a huge chance that things would become slightly more difficult, not just for her, but for her fans also.
^I'm pretty sure if I'm turning into a horse to fuck a stranger off the internet, vodka will play its part...

Lighting cigarettes with you

Miss Sahara

i don't think the question is whether they [artists who claim to create for tehmselves] are lying or not (or why the hell they wouldn't want to share creations they apparently enjoy), but if an imaginary audience is still an audience :)
I totally enjoy writing a song only for me and people in my mind, while technically there are only walls listening... (but i agree that a real audience can take that to a whole new level of enjoyment if you are lucky)

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art

personally, I find that I do art because i find it impossible not to.....it is an integral part of who i am (weather it is good or bad art is another question) but I do not do art for myself....rather I do it for pretty much anyone willing to respond to it...it is a way of communicating, reaching out and connecting with humanity in a way i find almost impossible in any other way...I have recently found myself in a rather drastic situation of being unemployed and utterly destitute and i have spoken to approximately 5 human beings face to face in 3 months...I have attempted to sell art, but i am terrible at it....it is not what I do it for. my entire social life now revolves around the odd post here and a trickle of twitter conversations....
not sure where this is going, but thank you Amanda for being an inspiration and a focus of likeminded individuals.... without this I would probably have been tempted to do something really stupid....thoughts that i have not had for years
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Morpheus Laughing

I’ve just returned from 15 hours in a recording studio and I couldn’t leave to sleep until someone came to relieve me of the keys. I spent several of my non-productive early-hours-time pondering how much I care if I make something other people like and concluded that the answer is “yes” for anything relatively sophisticated and “no” for my sprawling noise-like pastiches. Foolishly I have continued to be awake.

To a certain extent you have to care about a “potential audience” in order to get any good at making a song because when it’s just you and noise there is always the issue of your head filling in the blanks for you. If that issue bothers you, you will have made the distinction between subjectivity and objectivity and will begin to encounter simulation type problems that for humans almost invariably involves launching into audience-like consideration. However, where there are emergent rules of art/nature (recurrent irrational numbers like the golden ratio) you might decide to refer to those sources for reality testing and skip the human confirmation bit for solipsistic convenience … I can’t see anyone easily side stepping human validation though because of it's broader worth. Perhaps some artists are trying to claim they do it for "flow" - that could make sense because my noise-like-pastiche can be sort of like that for me.

But it might be best for everyone to ignore this coffee/tiredness inspired post because I’ve probably said something foolish or tangential... or just more so than usual.

Edit: Awake now and only slightly embarrassed by tiredness and coffee tangent. 
Just to clarify. People don’t deliberately think, “I’m going to see if my impressions match reality” although the option is always there for them to do that. It is most often an intuitive and instinctive reaction to the world that we can never feel sure of and would like to feel more sure of. I’m still going with the idea that writing/playing music is probably about “flow” but that people may or may not be concerned with sharing “flow” with others.

PolitelyOffend

Awesome blog, love it <3
Thanks for sharing as much as you do :)

cbkof

Re: BLOG: the mutation of embarrassment, art & random thoughts of the morning.
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 02:30:36 AM »

Wonderful and thoughtful blog, here are some too pithy thoughts...

Why bring in more worry? All writing is you and the language and the stories (add yr own necessary capitals), that is more than enough worry already (oy vey!). Audience? Maya?
what is Enoch Root? who is Jeff Lint?

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different burritos". -- Bob Einstein

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 02:15:36 PM »

I enjoy the blogs, and they inspire me in my own work and remind me why I love AFP and all the crazy MFs that surround her.

Recent blogs have healed my heart with the rock love! Just blog...
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

PolitelyOffend

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »

I second Army of Larry. All of it is you. You share more of yourself than any artist I know of, and it's not forced or gimmicky. It's genuine. You care about your fans and you're open enough to let us know what's going on. If you want to switch the focus from the personal to professional for a while, that's cool too. It's whatever is important to the blogger at the time (also, there needs to be another word for "blog", it sounds weird talking this heavily about something with that name. It's more than that.) The last thing I want is to read blogs that are forced or awkwardly trying to satisfy expectations. I love reading your blog because it respects the fans by keeping them in mind (by posting in the first place) but also trusting them to understand what you are saying. There's little to no handholding, even when the blog changes shape. I really like that. It's refreshing to see someone be eloquent and truthful without being tactless. It's inspiring to read, even when you are only blogging about new projects. Reading about that reminds me of how much someone can do if they work hard and learn to recognize the right opportunities.
In short: Keep writing, we'll keep reading. And loving it.

LisaRose

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 09:55:50 PM »

All day long I was humming "I've already spent to much time doing things I didn't want to" Bless you Amanda- Your willingness to run wild- even if your underpants show- inspired me to stop doing something I didn't want to. XXXXOOOLisa
Pages: [1]   Go Up