THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Holographic Singer  (Read 8136 times)

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
Holographic Singer
« on: November 12, 2010, 08:44:49 AM »

The machines are now replacing our pop stars!?  What will they do for work now?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EuuJv9GcKi8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EuuJv9GcKi8</a>

Japanese 3D singing hologram Hatsune Miku becomes nation's strangest pop star

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1329040/Japanese-3D-singing-hologram-Hatsune-Miku-nations-biggest-pop-star.html#ixzz154xPzyCgShe is cute, stylish and has had a number one chart-topping single.
But Japan’s newest and biggest pop star differs from most of her peers in one crucial aspect: she is a hologram.
Hatsune Miku has taken the music scene by storm in her native Japan where her concerts are always sold out and are full of screaming, adoring fans.
Now, like something out of a science fiction film, videos have emerged which show Miku on tour in Japan, singing a selection of hits.
Scroll down to watch Hatsune Miku perform 'live' in concert

Holographic singing idol Hatsune Miku has taken Japan by storm - and plays to sold out crowds
Miku is a digital avatar created by Japanese technology firm Crypton Future Media that customers can purchase and then program to perform any song on their computer.
She is supposed to be 16 years old and five foot two inches tall but her makers have given little away about her personality.
Crypton uses voices recorded by actors and then puts them through Yamaha’s Vocaloid software to create its characters.
Miku’s voice was created by taking vocal samples from the voice actress Saki Fujita. All of the samples contained a single Japanese sound which when strung together would create full words and phrases.
Her music and image have proved so popular that she has now gone on a sell-out tour where thousands of fans wave light sticks and scream as if she is a real-life pop star.

Thousands of fans wave glow sticks as Miku performs on stage with a live backing band

Miku has already had a number one single and is now on tour
It is the first time a hologram has been used on stage in this way, moving and strutting just like a real pop star.
Gorillaz, the band fronted by Damon Albarn, used projected holograms at the MTV music awards in 2005 and 2006 but these were projected onto a back screen, rather than in full three dimensions.
Miku has become such a star that she already has a fan club, Facebook page and has set up ‘her’ own record label. She has also appeared in a number of episodes of popular Japanese anime TV programs.
She performed her first ‘live’ concert in 2009 and has also travelled to Singapore on tour.
In March 2010 three metal plates with Hatsune Miku’s image etched on them were placed on board Japanese spacecraft Akatsuki and sent into space after a nationwide petition with more than 14,000 signatures demanded she be included.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1329040/Japanese-3D-singing-hologram-Hatsune-Miku-nations-biggest-pop-star.html
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
Re: Holographic Singer
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:40:56 AM »

William Gibson called this years ago; find a copy of his novel Idoru.

#@!

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:52:07 AM »

I am interested in how she is projected..it looks like it might be onto a clear screen much like the old magicians ghost trick
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 12:23:49 PM »

See, if Gorillaz coulda just waited another year or so to tour, we woulda
never had to see their actual persons...
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 12:24:27 PM »

I am interested in how she is projected..it looks like it might be onto a clear screen much like the old magicians ghost trick

another view:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DTXO7KGHtjI&amp;feature=player_embedded#!" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DTXO7KGHtjI&amp;feature=player_embedded#!</a>

#@!

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 02:41:21 PM »

Probably projected via a set up like this http://www.musion.co.uk/

It is basically the Pepper's ghost of magic and theatre but with a specially manufactured film rather than a big pane of glass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg0sUymbH00

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 03:19:42 PM »

They do use a clear screen but there is something that really goes over the top....this is a character being put out at a resolution that's good enough to be 12 feet tall and the people in the front row don't see a bunch of pixels, so they need a projector that can spit out crazy resolutions, a computer system to run that video, and a huge amount of rendering time.  Plus how it isn't shaking every which way, when they did the Gorillaz at that MTV music awards awhile back I think that was more standard technology but they had to have the volume cut big time otherwise the vibrations become an issue.

I've been watching a few of the different views (hell this is like Avatar to me where I don't care as much about the content as breaking it down technically...I know NERDS!) and the crisp-ness that I have seen is amazing from afar but up close youtube's compression kills it, anyone know of a uncompressed video?  Another crazy ting is how well it holds up from being viewed off angle both vertically and horizontally.

And just think in the late 90's hair movement was at its earliest stages and now that is not even noticed.
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 04:07:40 PM »

^ when I looked into it a couple of years ago I got the impression that a projector of £15,000-£20,000 would be required to project the images with any degree of success. The special projector film that Musion use surpases the panes traditionally used in magic and theatre because glass-like panels are not easy to transport or support in the position necessary to cover a very large stage.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 04:25:09 PM »

in theory a curved sheet with a speciallly distorted projection could produce a very 3d image  cant remember the name of the optical illusion for this.... only problem is that the image would only be viewable from a certain angle

@raliel

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 04:29:02 PM »

in theory a curved sheet with a speciallly distorted projection could produce a very 3d image  cant remember the name of the optical illusion for this.... only problem is that the image would only be viewable from a certain angle

Which is why this is so weird....I find lots of articles on "hey look those Japanese people have a cartoon pop star!" not here are the specs on how it is created, or even a simple overview.  This is working at roughly a 170 degree angle it seems like.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »

I get the impression that this is basically a 2d image that uses light and movement on an invisible screen to give the impression of 3d

@raliel

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 04:45:55 PM »

I get the impression that this is basically a 2d image that uses light and movement on an invisible screen to give the impression of 3d

Then it wouldn't work for people not directly in front of it since they would see the plane it is projected on, notice how far off to the sides the audience goes.

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 07:52:12 PM »

So they are using 2 projectors and the one limitation seems to be viewing it from above, the screen is very reflective and there the image becomes translucent over the crowd.

But hell over the top Japanese music and crazy technology what's not to like :headbang: I'd pay decent money for it, hell it would be a better "show" than lots of bands I can think of.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 02:44:40 AM »

if you look at the actual screen position it is further from the crowd than it seems....it IS really impressive though....as i thought a bit of digging confirms that this is just a high tech Pepper's Ghost show..... the reality is nearly here though!
http://techd.in/developers/3d-holograms-soon-to-come/

@raliel

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »

amazing. not the tech, just the fact that people would pay to see this shit like it was a fucking concert or something. i guess it really shouldn't be surprising considering that we took that leap years ago that made it ok to lip-sync concerts.

Milli Vinilli wouldn't be villians today. They would be 3-d images.
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up