THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Holographic Singer  (Read 8443 times)

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
Re: Holographic Singer
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »

amazing. not the tech, just the fact that people would pay to see this shit like it was a fucking concert or something. i guess it really shouldn't be surprising considering that we took that leap years ago that made it ok to lip-sync concerts.

Milli Vinilli wouldn't be villians today. They would be 3-d images.

Why?  People are paying that money to see Tool right now and they don't have nearly as cool of effects, they even have Maynard in the back mostly just a silhouette at least on the 10,000 days tour so you are paying for mostly the visuals.

I'd pay for this, and I'd even line up to see DethKlok this way  :headbang:
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 09:47:36 PM »

amazing. not the tech, just the fact that people would pay to see this shit like it was a fucking concert or something. i guess it really shouldn't be surprising considering that we took that leap years ago that made it ok to lip-sync concerts.

Why?  People are paying that money to see Tool right now and they don't have nearly as cool of effects, they even have Maynard in the back mostly just a silhouette at least on the 10,000 days tour so you are paying for mostly the visuals.

well, you see, tool is a live band that plays music in front of you. but if you want to pay to see canned music "performed" by canned images, go ahead.
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

caddy

• The Anti-Semantic
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 10:40:04 PM »

OMG DETHKLOK THIS WAY WOULD BE FUCKING AMAZING. 

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 11:09:09 PM »

DOOOOOOD!   She's TOTALLY lip-synching!  >:(
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 04:20:21 AM »

and looking at the actual graphics used....I could produce a similar lip synching 3d character with free software...my current computer cannot handle the rendering at the mo, but I will attempt a simple render as evidence
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 04:53:27 PM »

and looking at the actual graphics used....I could produce a similar lip synching 3d character with free software...my current computer cannot handle the rendering at the mo, but I will attempt a simple render as evidence

You can buy her as a character to do that on your PC in a basic form, the shadows and more importantly hair/clothing movement involves a lot of calculations and algorithms that freeware usually doesn't have.  I could do it on my computer as well (hell it even has a Quardo card specifically for 3D rendering and a pretty nice Xeon chip) but to get the movements right I would want a lot of motion capturing.....input those parameters and then have it show the "realistic" movements for clothes/hair and then tweak both to make them fit with the cartoonish effect.  It is doable....just would be A LOT of work to do it right.
"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »

well, you see, tool is a live band that plays music in front of you. but if you want to pay to see canned music "performed" by canned images, go ahead.

Most of a Tool show is canned images/laser lights, remember Maynard is behind everyone and most of the time he is just a silhouette.  And you just play the music to the same beat so they sync, that Japanese concert had live musicians just a pre-recorded vocal track.

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »

So technical stuff, you need to have it looks like 3-5 broad strands of hair on each side in the back then the short bangs in the front, and movement in the shirt, shirt, suspenders, tie, and the sleeve type things.  Not too hard but this is probably running at high resolution and 60FPS, and off 2 projectors so say 120 frames per second.  If you have a nice small render farm it wouldn't be too difficult.  The textures aren't too crazy but there are decent lighting effects to simulate on stage lighting.

armyoflarry

• and army of names
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 05:53:37 PM »

Most of a Tool show is canned images/laser lights, remember Maynard is behind everyone and most of the time he is just a silhouette.  And you just play the music to the same beat so they sync, that Japanese concert had live musicians just a pre-recorded vocal track.
whatever you need to do to justify it. Maynard is still singing live and in the room. big fucking difference any way you cut it.

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 06:18:25 PM »

whatever you need to do to justify it. Maynard is still singing live and in the room. big fucking difference any way you cut it.

Dethklok would be singing live so what is the difference?

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 09:34:32 PM »

there's no actor playing Maynard.

#@!

armyoflarry

• and army of names
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 10:00:50 PM »

I never said I had a problem with dethklok.

sorry, you will never convince me that an overglorified laser light show set to canned pop music is even close to being a real concert. The whole point of a concert is live music. I just don't like that we have turned another corner to what is acceptable "live entertainment". People have accepted lip-sync as being ok in "live" concerts, auto-tune being used to make hacks sound tuneful, and now we can just create the perfect plastic 3-d bombshell and pass it off as something to marvel at like it was "live" entertainment.

Lightshows and 3-D effects are fine with me as long as it is enhancing the most important thing at a concert, the live music. To replace real live musicians with robo-anime stars, it makes me ill.

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 06:41:17 AM »

I’m not sure that anyone believes that this equates to the kind of experience a performer might provide but even if they did, I still can't see a problem with people choosing it... I like how my VDU display simulates written reading material with lights but I still like paper books.

It does have the potential to show up some performers as being superfluous to a social experience but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Good performers will have the edge until there are reliable ways to update algorithms that can feed info back from the crowd. Until that happens the crowd is isolated from the entertainment in same way they are when they watch tv shows. 

J_Beck

• Only G-d Can Judge Me
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 07:29:40 AM »

I never said I had a problem with dethklok.

sorry, you will never convince me that an overglorified laser light show set to canned pop music is even close to being a real concert. The whole point of a concert is live music. I just don't like that we have turned another corner to what is acceptable "live entertainment". People have accepted lip-sync as being ok in "live" concerts, auto-tune being used to make hacks sound tuneful, and now we can just create the perfect plastic 3-d bombshell and pass it off as something to marvel at like it was "live" entertainment.

Lightshows and 3-D effects are fine with me as long as it is enhancing the most important thing at a concert, the live music. To replace real live musicians with robo-anime stars, it makes me ill.

You are missing the point:

With the Japanese hologram the only recorded part is the vocals everything else is a live band.....but my current comments which you have been responding to are about DethKlok not the Japanese one.  For the example I am talking about now dethklok the band would still play like they do now live, just instead of seeing them you would see the cartoon representations.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 07:57:22 AM »

go download bryce and daz studio (its free) it even has a manga figurine ideal for this.....wish my comp was better at the moment cause then a rendered, dancing 3d manga character would take me approx 1 day to create
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up