THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Amanda is making Art with your support on Patreon. Join become a patron and help AFP make ALL THE THINGS.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TORI AMOS  (Read 1756 times)

Katastrophy

TORI AMOS
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »

I didn't get a chance to buy her music in the 90's, due to my age. But now that i'm older, and more openminded, i've found her music to be pretty damn powerful. I think I listen to Spark atleast ten times a day!

armyoflarry

• and army of names
  • a human, lyman sinister, jupiter or japan
Re: TORI AMOS
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:04:14 PM »

I like the second album, and the 4 after that. I think she has gotten a bit bland these days, but I have not heard her latest yet.
Also, oh my God I could eat your family pets right now. GNNFFGH!!

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 09:20:54 PM »

I quite like some of her music, and some of it does nothing for me at all.....

Unlike a lot of Tori fans, though, my likes/not-so-much-likes don't divide neatly by album.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Katastrophy

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 09:26:26 PM »

I agree. Although I feel so moved by her and so much of her work, there are a good number of songs I don't care for. True fans don't stick by the album, but the artist.

I'm trying to learn how to play smells like teen spirit on piano... after by bashing on KittyRadio after I posted a cover of Doll Parts, I might decide not to post it ;)

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:50:26 PM »

Her older stuff is brilliant. Her newer stuff isn't bad but it is pretty bland in comparison. I saw her about 6 years ago and while she plays and sings brilliantly live, I found her attempts to engage with the audience to be pretty dull and almost forced. It put me off going to see her again.
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

Breschau

• woo-ah-oo
  • Damnit
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 03:20:29 AM »

She used to be my #1 favourite artist, back in the Pink/Pele days.  I started listening right after Pele was released, the beginnings of my musical tastes expanding beyond the pretty narrow selection of grunge bands I listened to in my late teens; I'd seen her videos on MTV years before and liked them, but always dismissed them as "not the sort of music I listen to".

I love everything up to and including To Venus and Back (when I say everything, there's still one or two tracks I don't care for much on each album).  Under the Pink is probably my favourite overall, though being the first I bought there's a sorta sentimental nostalgia bias there.

After that my interest started to wane - partly my tastes changed/evolved, and partly her material became less and less interesting/enjoyable to me.  Strange Little Girls was sorta interesting on the first listen or two just to see what she'd done with the songs, but didn't really make me want to keep listening beyond that.  Scarlet's Walk had its moments, but felt kinda bland and flat, missing that spark (no pun intended) from her earlier work (and some of the lyrics made me cringe a bit - I'm looking at you Taxi Ride).  I hated The Beekeeper; although I actually quite liked the title track, the rest was just so tedious to listen to.  American Doll Posse is a definite improvement, with some songs being a return to form, but I think the moment has passed and it's not really rekindled my interest in her music much.  I haven't bothered with Abnormally Attracted to Sin yet.

I only ever got to see her play live once, and it was pretty much spoiled in that it was a seating venue, but about 2 songs in all the screamy swooning girls ran down to the front, completely blocking the view of anyone that didn't get to the there first (i.e. me).  I may as well have just been listening to a live cd at home.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 09:49:14 PM »

Her older stuff is brilliant. Her newer stuff isn't bad but it is pretty bland in comparison. I saw her about 6 years ago and while she plays and sings brilliantly live, I found her attempts to engage with the audience to be pretty dull and almost forced. It put me off going to see her again.
Almost forced?  She clearly enjoys playing live, but I got the distinct impression she'd prefer simply
to come on stage, play music for a couple hours, then run off again, without speaking at all...
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 12:50:52 AM »

Almost forced?  She clearly enjoys playing live, but I'm get the distinct impression she'd prefer simply
to come on stage, play music for a couple hours, then run off again, without speaking at all...
I was being nice. It was totally forced. It ruined what was otherwise a pretty impressive show.
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

RiverVox

• I'm a believer.
  • Goodbye to blueberry pie
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 03:51:57 PM »

Tori brought me here. A handsome young man introduced me to her music and I asked him, who is this Neil guy? What's up with the Dream King? Which led me to Neil Gaiman who has the Dresden Dolls on his last.fm station. The rest is obsession but it started with Tori. Time to listen to Little Earthquakes again!
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. ~ Neil Gaiman

gargantuan

• Film/Music guy. Documentarian. Philosophy addict.
    • Music/Videos/Writing
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 07:51:27 PM »

I love Boys For Pele.

Those first 5 songs are just amazing.
"Think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a fucking sharp knife to it." —Banksy
Pages: [1]   Go Up