THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: little girl joins the dark side  (Read 3536 times)

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
Re: little girl joins the dark side
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 11:12:09 PM »

I'm so tempted to nerd out here with an in-depth explanation of why the jedi/sith can't be fairly summarized as good/evil. So consider this rant a summary to save you from further geekery.

It's certainly not accurate to say the dark side is the conformist one, or the centralized one. You have all sorts of cool looking sith masters, whereas the jedi all have the same uniform brown robe. The jedi tenants are very strict about adhering to codes, whereas sith are about using the force to your own ends. The movies were one of the few times the sith were the central power-wielders in the galaxy, and even then there were only two of them, Vader and Sidious -- the rest of the empire were average joes who ended up working for whoever was in power, not force-users or probably even aware of the force, let alone aligned to the dark/light-side. It's usually the Jedi who are centralized, organized, and have a large number of followers. Sith usually work alone or in pairs of master and apprentice.

Totally reminds me of the conversation from Clerks.
There's a saying attributed to various American military men...
We're here to protect democracy, not to practice it.  Change that from 'democracy' to a more generic
construct of "freedom".  The Jedi sacrifices his/her personal freedom to protect everyone else's.  Or, to
borrow a line from someone in another universe, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

For the Sith, it's all about me me me...  whether short-term indulgence of personal hatred or a more fully-
realized desire for power, and ways to show it off.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Broody

• Huge Throbbing
    • Saints
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 02:33:51 AM »

obviously. I'm not saying they're the good guys. I'm saying that the awesome ones, and if you're going to compare either one to the counterculture, it's clearly the dark side. It's not like we're not all extremely self-centered, but that doesn't make us evil. Besides, do you really want to be part of an order that forbids passion, love, sex?

Doesn't sound punk OR cabaret to me.
Everyone learns faster on fire.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 02:48:43 AM »

obviously. I'm not saying they're the good guys. I'm saying that the awesome ones, and if you're going to compare either one to the counterculture, it's clearly the dark side. It's not like we're not all extremely self-centered, but that doesn't make us evil. Besides, do you really want to be part of an order that forbids passion, love, _sex?_

Doesn't sound punk OR cabaret to me.
so jedi = anti punk cabaret.  so we all give a sith about the rebel alliance.

this supports my original statement that the bad guys are always cooler.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 06:27:58 PM »

meet the littlest Sith:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xByYLtYAm5s" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xByYLtYAm5s</a>

:glasses9:

#@!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up