THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sims Thread  (Read 5005 times)

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
The Sims Thread
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:53:02 PM »

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

This was the Amanda sims I was talking about.

Well no this isn't what I was talking about, it was another picture, but this is better. WAY better.

So yeah, let's share our dirty little secrets.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Blue Canary

• You can't ignore my techno
Re: The Sims Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 12:21:05 AM »

My friend and I made a family when she first got the Sims 3 last year. The family is Chibi from The Birthday Massacre who is sisters with Lyn-Z from MSI and a guy we made who wears a suit and a top hat and really deep voice named Fancy, who is married to Jon Stewart. Jon and Fancy adopted a daughter we named Jasonne, who is now an angsty teen goth with a sleazy boyfriend and likes Egyptian music. BUT, Jon is cheating on Fancy with Stephen Colbert, who is married to none other than Amanda Palmer herself.
You should totally barf on all their dicks. I will help.

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 12:48:02 AM »

Your Sims' lives are like a soap opera. Mine are kinda lame. I cannot make families and build houses and keep it in the other neighbourhoods. Kinda sucky. By the way, I have Sims 1 which is super sucky.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Zephyr

• Shadows stuffed with organs
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 06:02:06 AM »

My boyfriend made Buffy but she became a lesbian with the sim next door.

Breschau

• woo-ah-oo
  • Damnit
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 11:10:13 AM »

How much is there in the way of gameplay and content with just the base game, no expansions?

I've always been sorta tempted to give the sims a go (despite the reputation and stigma attached to it among "serious" gamers), but the masses of expansion packs always left me suspicious that they'd be filled with features that *should* have been included in the base game, and so the base game would be kinda lacking without them (especially with EA being the publisher - I pretty much consider them to be the devil).
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Zephyr

• Shadows stuffed with organs
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 11:14:16 AM »

How much is there in the way of gameplay and content with just the base game, no expansions?

I've always been sorta tempted to give the sims a go (despite the reputation and stigma attached to it among "serious" gamers), but the masses of expansion packs always left me suspicious that they'd be filled with features that *should* have been included in the base game, and so the base game would be kinda lacking without them (especially with EA being the publisher - I pretty much consider them to be the devil).

You have to consider the stigma attached to being a "serious gamer". if someone uncool thinks something is uncool, that makes it cool again. ergo, The Sims is cool.

Breschau

• woo-ah-oo
  • Damnit
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 11:39:20 AM »

Oh, I don't worry about cool or uncool per se (everything is cool (and uncool) to *someone*).  It's just that often the stigma serious gamers attach to certain games turns out to coincide with whether I'd actually enjoy the game or not.

e.g. I took this risk with Spore (another one poo-poo'd by such people, and another EA offering) and while the creature creator part of the game was neat, the rest turned out to live up to (or rather, down to) the derision it was provoking within the various gaming forums.

(edit: but in this instance I'm not so much asking if the game is cool - obviously from discussions on here most think it is - rather just how much the expansion packs are necessary to give a complete game with plenty of content)

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 11:45:04 AM »

As far as I can tell, you don't need the expansions to enjoy the game.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 01:53:03 PM »

EA makes some good games, but they are mostly sports games, and i don't play em.  the tomb raider series was pretty excellent, though.  i haven't played the new two but yeah.

the base game is pretty awesome though, and pretty varied.  most of the expansions really only contain some new furniture, a new wallpaper pattern or two, and a new type of job or activity, mainly.  the really big one is the vacations expansion, which basically adds a whole couple of levels of tomb raider light, in sims style instead of first-person-shooter, of course, to the game.  so the upgrades are totally worth it, but not actually so important that the game is lacking without them...which i think is kinda cool.  the only thing is, sometimes there are patches you will need to make a former upgrade still work with the new one, but that's an operating system thing, as i understand it, and virtually impossible to keep any game compatible with the wealth of hardware and software out there.

actually, if i am not mistaken, the upgrades in this version are really to change actual gameplay to make one more interactive with say, a sim's work habits (they used to just go to work and come home from an inaccessible building), or their leisure time.  my assumption was it was an attempt to get players out of the building mode and actually playing with their sims.  at any rate, the upgrades seem to add way more stuff to do and get, but not so much a difference in the base game, the big exception being now you can put a pool above ground, say in your third-story bedroom, rather than just in the ground.

this latest expansion, for example, they added some professions and expanded the 'collecting' activity, which isn't an actual job or profession, but is still hella complicated with weird and cool rewards.  they also added vampires, which meant they had to add some food types and a new plant or two for gardening, and a new stone for collecting, and a couple of new magic yard gnomes.  vampire sims are fun, especially since i learned how to cure them, but they are impossible to keep alive for me in vampire form, especially when they have a daytime job.  your best bet is to turn them and then use the money cheat and let them stay at home where they can get out of the sun.  they can bite other sims and turn them to vampires, too, or feed on them, but it has to be consensual for them to turn another sim.

i played sims 2 without many of the upgrades for a long time.  in fact, what finally made the game stop working for me was when they added sim pets.  i never could get that install, when i finally got it, to run right, and if it did run right, it was so fucking slow.  i started playing sims 3 with only the one upgrade, and i'll play it a good long while before i get tired of it before the next upgrade.  but what keeps me hooked isn't the new stuff so much as the building and designing, i am a slut for building giant houses.

also, fuck 'serious gamers.'  really, fuckem; the sims is fun as hell, and really it's like ten games in one.  funny how every single facebook flash game is based on components the sims featured like fifteen years ago.  besides, the whole reason for playing a video game is that one finds it fun, which tells me 'serious gamers' have no investment in what they like or dislike other than socially (like, no one is paying them to like video games), and everybody knows they are devoid of social lives because of the 20 hours a day they have to log on 'serious games.'  my girlfriend got actually berated by a gamestop employee for playing 'runescape.'  literally the guy made fun of her for like a minute, and then when we checked out (i was buying 'god of war' AND a sims upgrade) he was like, 'psh, runescape.  psh.  psh.'  i'd finally had enough of it and told him two years ago, she wouldn't even turn on a computer to check her backlogged email.  if she likes a game, wtf?  he said something about runescape being KNOWN for being lame (it has a shit load of players to be so lame).  i responded by lightheartedly discussing the matter with his manager, a really nice girl who used to work for me.  i didn't want him fired or anything, but he needed to adjust his attitude; a little teasing is one thing but people shouldn't need to feel bad about leisure time.  on the way out i told him, 'don't fuck with me.  i actually owned an atari.'  (my neighbors actually owned pong, but i didn't feel the need to tell him i was that old.)

seriously, beware of anyone who cut their teeth on super mario brothers.  i'm just kidding, i'm bitter because i am unable to complete a single level in that game.  i had to wait for mario 64 to come out and be in 3-d to become a mario addict.

(by the way, she loves runescape.  it's my fault she plays it, i used to play it.  i liked it because it was like a shitty, free version of the sims, or a slightly better version if you paid five bucks a month.  i just don't have a lot of patience for how slow one levels up in rpg's)

edit:  it's actually a shame we can't play all in one town.  that would be amazing.

Breschau

• woo-ah-oo
  • Damnit
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 02:42:57 PM »

and everybody knows they are devoid of social lives because of the 20 hours a day they have to log on 'serious games.'  

Most of them actually have more of a social life than me, but then a rock has more of a social life than me :p

But cheers for the feedback on the sims sans expansions.  I'll maybe pick it up if I see it for a particularly good price at some point.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »

and everybody knows they are devoid of social lives because of the 20 hours a day they have to log on 'serious games.'  

Most of them actually have more of a social life than me, but then a rock has more of a social life than me :p

But cheers for the feedback on the sims sans expansions.  I'll maybe pick it up if I see it for a particularly good price at some point.
oh, i'm just being a dick; i do know some gamers who aren't virgins.  it just irritates me when someone actually makes a character judgement based on what game someone loves to play.  it's just yet another way of setting oneself above others without actually doing anything to be elevated for.  i mean, let's face it, who is a superior person in the actual world, someone who can make small hand twitches and rule the galaxy in a comic book fantasy adventure, or someone who can make fire?

Rosebud

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 03:28:34 PM »

I recently rediscovered Sims 2 after not playing for ages. It's so much fun. My families are all messed up. I end up killing most of my characters anyway.
I accidentally deleted the file containing the characters, so now all the neighborhoods and houses are lifeless, but there are still dishes and books lying around, trash on the floor, beds left unmade. My scenario is that there was an apocalyptic situation that wiped out the population or forced them to flee hastily. So now the survivors repopulate the town.

By the way, I have Sims 1 which is super sucky.

I reinstalled Sims 1 the other day just for my daily dose of nostalgia. It's so primitive compared to the way the Sims games are nowadays. Nevertheless, I used to spend countless hours playing in my younger years.

Breschau

• woo-ah-oo
  • Damnit
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 12:37:37 AM »

it just irritates me when someone actually makes a character judgement based on what game someone loves to play.

Oh, no worries, I'm right there with you on that one (same with music, films, books, etc).

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »

i finally broke down and ordered a baby.  i got a toddler since i'd likely kill an infant.  i've had to enable aging so this thing isn't stuck having to be put to bed every day.  i'll probably freeze aging again when the kid is old enough to take care of itself.  its name is rasputin, and it is a female.  it's really no trouble; the butler does most of the childcare and the mummy pretty much fills in the rest.  some sims faint when they see the mummy, but the kid doesn't much mind it, since it taught it how to walk.  its mothers can keep drilling for jewels and going to parties, the rest of the house has this under control.

my simbot made a time machine last night, though.  i think i'm gonna have my simbot build a simbot.

Blue Canary

• You can't ignore my techno
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 10:27:55 PM »

I spent a long time making this family, and their kids grew up and all that and then my jerk brother ERASED it!  :violent1:
You should totally barf on all their dicks. I will help.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up