THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: do happy artists make crappy art?  (Read 1392 times)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
do happy artists make crappy art?
« on: January 23, 2011, 08:54:48 AM »

discuss

#@!

heytravistravis

• travis' tumblr
Re: do happy artists make crappy art?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:21:45 AM »

If that's true, then I'll be very sad.
Wait, this is a paradox, I think
i avoid being the sort of fan fan that mindlessly obsesses, depredating the intelligence of a community.
still i fangirl.

amanda really inspires me

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 01:10:43 PM »

i first have to say, without inviting a discussion on this semantic, that not all people who make art all the goddamn time are artists, just like not all tortured people you meet are all that tortured.

as for myself, as an artist, art-making makes me happy.  i'm happiest when i am making something.  or drawing it.  

it would seem in my realm of experience, however, that hungry, tortured, angsty musicians make the best music, on the whole..or at least, when tormented they make the kind of music that grabs your beating heart in its grip of pain and forces you through it with them, as a cathartic soul wash.  this can go either way for painters, however.  i wouldn't know about sculptors but michaelangelo is said to have created his most amazing frescoes while extremely pissed-off, and hating it, and some of his worst sculptures when in the same mood.  and vice versa.

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:05:26 AM »

Everything people do is essentially an attempt to resolve an underlying tension. You eat to remove the feeling of hunger (and alas, boredom). You make love and the sexual tension is alleviated. Art is no different except that the tension it removes can be a mixture of things that are not as obvious to us. In the most general of senses, Art is a puzzle that creates the initial tension that the artist works to solve – that tension is self-imposed but is significantly attuned to addressing other tensions. The aesthetic aspects of art are also about appealing to our innate appreciation and want for beauty + understanding of the world (obviously I can’t cover every aspect without getting into the “what is art?” question).

Considering all this – you have to look at the cycle of tension and resolution and where the happy artist is in it. It is possible that the tension and resolution is ticking over so smoothly that it is not obvious that there is any real tension. The art remains good and the artist can be happy. On the other hand – if there is no relevant tension in the domain that is suited to art, there will merely be a person with a set of skills working on problems that aren’t producing art-like answers (or optimal answers). I do think that it is difficult to achieve the smooth operation that allows one to produce good art and be perpetually happy ( I doubt that anyone is ever truly perpetually happy though).

On a more personal note: Art has to have something in it that speaks to you and perky-chirpy art isn’t going to do that for me. This is truer for lyrical artistry but less so for visual artistry because aesthetics doesn’t have to appeal to my principles.       

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 05:07:01 AM »

no crappy artists make crappy art.... inspiration is drawn from all sorts of different moods and situations...some artists can only feel expressive when in a state of turmoil but this is not a hard rule
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:55:56 PM »

When I'm happy I make happy music that sounds cute. When I'm pissed, sad, or just feeling like shit, I feel like I write really whiny songs, though sometimes something incredibly incredible comes out from it. So incredible that I sometimes just sit back and think about what I just did as though I can't believe I wrote that song. Kinda like when I was in art class and I made something that I never knew I could make. This is corny, yeah, but I don't think I can dig the hole much deeper.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Cirque

• will emerge from the cocoon as a
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 05:28:25 PM »

When I'm happy I make happy music that sounds cute. When I'm pissed, sad, or just feeling like shit, I feel like I write really whiny songs, though sometimes something incredibly incredible comes out from it. So incredible that I sometimes just sit back and think about what I just did as though I can't believe I wrote that song. Kinda like when I was in art class and I made something that I never knew I could make. This is corny, yeah, but I don't think I can dig the hole much deeper.

I so get this with your music. Magnolia & Mama Said -> Sad  Black shoes & Vaccaro song -> Happy...perhaps.
(That's right, I'm still on a 'your music' trip, soon I shall become a crazed fan)

I think it very much concerns what you are used to hearing from the artist.
If you are accustomed to hearing upbeat music there's a chance you won't like something sad that they write and then vice versa.

guuurrrrrllltakeiteasy

• We accept the love we think we deserve
  • je veux ton coq
    • Mein YouTube
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 02:17:27 PM »

I so get this with your music. Magnolia & Mama Said -> Sad  Black shoes & Vaccaro song -> Happy...perhaps.
(That's right, I'm still on a 'your music' trip, soon I shall become a crazed fan)

If you are accustomed to hearing upbeat music there's a chance you won't like something sad that they write and then vice versa.

Oh no, Black Shoes is kind of a protest song, but not really.
Quote from: garbanzo bean
Sean, mahal kita <3

Fo' shizzle, ma Bizzle.

cuntnugget

Cirque

• will emerge from the cocoon as a
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »

Oh no, Black Shoes is kind of a protest song, but not really.

I referenced happy as more so...upbeat in the tune. Essentially just faster
Pages: [1]   Go Up