THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: World/Inferno - Anarchy and the Ecstasy  (Read 1609 times)

roboticvampire

• James Morgane
World/Inferno - Anarchy and the Ecstasy
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:38:47 PM »

Absolutely fucking amazing.  Much more mellow and musically diverse than their previous work, though lacking the standard eyerolling that tends to come along with an older band branching out and looking for songs that require less energy as they slowly look for ways to retire as gracefully as possible.  Which, yes, is a not so subtle jab at 2010's complete lack of anything other than two Hallowmasses (which were amazing).  And we had a secret show that everybody knew about in January. 

The rerecords tend to fix the issues with the previous versions (even removing just enough of the poppiness on Politics to make it enjoyable).  It's a bit sad that they didn't bring back Ladies and Gentlemen (with louder fucking horns), Burn and Scar, and Anti-Fa, but whatever.  Jake and Eggars builds up the evil (though I still don't like the horn chorus, and, come to think of it, the horns sound like they have less energy).  Lean Time is actually listenable, and Raritan doesn't sound as Springsteeney. 

As far as the new songs, I have no complaints.  The Disarming Smile and Canonize Philip K. Dick, Ok are the best, the former building on a tremolo country base, and the latter ending in what better be accompanied by kick lines at the next show.  Peter King is brooding and melancholic.  Nora broods too.  Eve builds, yet maintains a level of maturity that will make climbing on top of things and jumping right off again a much more poignant thing to do.

I highly doubt I'll be listening to anything else for quite some time.  Unless The Extended Family puts out something soon.  I'll have to bug Yula about that.

Broody

• Huge Throbbing
    • Saints
Re: World/Inferno - Anarchy and the Ecstasy
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:18:34 PM »

Oh shit, it's out? Picking it up tomorrow then. Lost my head in stuff and hadn't payed attention to music goings-on in a few weeks.

I'm a fucking huge fan, having considered driving to the east coast just for a show since to my knowledge they never play west of the Mississippi. There are very few things I don't like from them, so as long as they don't do boring, castrated shit like The Expatriate Act, I'm sure I'll be thrilled. Now if I can only BE them.
Everyone learns faster on fire.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »

...playing a club here in about three weeks...  Eight bucks.   :headbang:
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

roboticvampire

• James Morgane
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »

Oh shit, it's out? Picking it up tomorrow then. Lost my head in stuff and hadn't payed attention to music goings-on in a few weeks.

I'm a fucking huge fan, having considered driving to the east coast just for a show since to my knowledge they never play west of the Mississippi. There are very few things I don't like from them, so as long as they don't do boring, castrated shit like The Expatriate Act, I'm sure I'll be thrilled. Now if I can only BE them.
It doesn't come out until the 15th.  Pre-orders started arriving today for those of us within spitting distance of New Jersey.  If you're going to drive to the east coast for a show, go to Phillie or New York.  I don't trust the kids elsewhere to provide the right atmosphere, or know the right audience participation.  And I've never seen them play anything I'd consider "castrated".  Check out videos from last year's Hallowmasses if you need convincing.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:01:29 PM »

..or come to Richmond, where even the old people occasionally mosh...  :D

Oddly, the last two times the were here, I went and the crowds were great, and filled to capacity, but
to hear Jack T tell it, they played here a few times before that and there was practically nobody...
:dontknow:

roboticvampire

• James Morgane
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 05:56:25 PM »

The point is to avoid Boston, because they don't know how to have fun.

Blue Canary

• You can't ignore my techno
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 06:02:48 PM »

And probably California, because they hate it here. lulllz

Anyway, I love them a ton and I'm excited to listen to their new album.
You should totally barf on all their dicks. I will help.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »

And probably California, because they hate it here. lulllz

Anyway, I love them a ton and I'm excited to listen to their new album.
So duuuh..  Y'all hop on a plane already...

Broody

• Huge Throbbing
    • Saints
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 11:35:53 AM »

Ah shit, they're playing Chicago this tour. Kids there know how to rock, and I do try to take any excuse i can to go visit my hometown. Ergh, damn poverty.

Damn you for getting my hopes up. I walked into a local chain record store last weekend and was given a blank stare as if the guy hadn't even heard of music. I'm finding that to be increasingly common among the employees there.

Broody

• Huge Throbbing
    • Saints
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 02:40:38 PM »

Not gonna lie, I'm not feeling this one so much. The music's not bad, but it feels like it lacks heart and spunk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up