THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Want some free music? Most of AFP's discography (as well as The Dolls, side-projects, and more) is available for free+donation on Bandcamp

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Realisation Thread  (Read 18317 times)

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
Re: The Realisation Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »

I'm 26, I'm on my second year of uni (where most people in my class are 19-20) and I supervise in a shop on saturdays when majority are under 20. This means people are constantly surprised on how "old" I am. I don't feel particularly old. If anything, I feel a bit unaccomplished -everyone has these plans of "when I'm 30 I'll have done this and this". When I'm thirty, I have just graduated with bachelors (hopefully), I likely won't be married nor have kids. People would think this is failure, but I have lived fully, stayed in another country, gotten together with someone very meaningful (no matter what happens in the future!) and gotten to study something I value whilst progressing in a job. I think this is still valuable.

I can relate a little to that. I was 2-3 years older than most people starting my course when I did cos I'd studied in Ireland and then moved. Even now, my boyfriend is 2 years younger and he's the oldest out of my group of friends (apart from me obvs...). Also, at work all but like 1 of the supervisors are younger than me.
But regardless of that, we are young and healthy and in wonderful relationships. We are achieving our dreams at this very moment and age is completely irrelevant.

Started the uni when i was 17 and i was already graduated in 22. I obviously regret for this because you know one should keep studying as longer as they can. Working life has its own advantages but nothing compares to the studentship.
Most of my classmates were my seniors, and still most of my friends are older than me. Maybe that's the reason i feel a little bit depressed when i think about my age, i shouldn't have started taken that much responsibilities in that age.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2012, 04:07:33 PM »

I'm 26, I'm on my second year of uni (where most people in my class are 19-20) and I supervise in a shop on saturdays when majority are under 20. This means people are constantly surprised on how "old" I am. I don't feel particularly old. If anything, I feel a bit unaccomplished -everyone has these plans of "when I'm 30 I'll have done this and this". When I'm thirty, I have just graduated with bachelors (hopefully), I likely won't be married nor have kids. People would think this is failure, but I have lived fully, stayed in another country, gotten together with someone very meaningful (no matter what happens in the future!) and gotten to study something I value whilst progressing in a job. I think this is still valuable.

I can relate a little to that. I was 2-3 years older than most people starting my course when I did cos I'd studied in Ireland and then moved. Even now, my boyfriend is 2 years younger and he's the oldest out of my group of friends (apart from me obvs...). Also, at work all but like 1 of the supervisors are younger than me.
But regardless of that, we are young and healthy and in wonderful relationships. We are achieving our dreams at this very moment and age is completely irrelevant.

I took a three-year break, then altered my major... so I found myself at 26 in
a freshman English-Composition class with a bunch of kids who didn't know how
to write a proper "complete sentence", followed by a Philosophy foundation
class taught by a graduate-assistant/PhD candidate who was younger than I.
(See what I did there?  O0 )
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »

I realised that my creativity is a total dumbass. It takes me at least 8 hours to write a 2000 word essay for theology, but today I wrote 1700 words of a story while I was waiting for my plane to board. Dafuq, brain?! How is this helpful??

Miss Sahara

« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »

ha!!! you're confusing innocent non natives!!

i've realised that it actually doesn't reaallllly matter how young exactly you are when you graduate, as long as you genuinely like what you're doing, except for some specific more age dependent fields. i've met people in their 30ies starting new studies to change their careers just becuase they were passionate about it....and happily succeding. (but over here going to uni is free for most people so that might provide additional opportunities)

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2012, 12:28:52 AM »

I realised that my creativity is a total dumbass. It takes me at least 8 hours to write a 2000 word essay for theology, but today I wrote 1700 words of a story while I was waiting for my plane to board. Dafuq, brain?! How is this helpful??

I can't even figure out how to get back to that. I wrote quite a few stories between the ages of 12 and 15...then music really took over. I've been writing lyrics to the exclusion of everything else on a creative level for so long that it's damn near impossible for me to write more than a hundred words to express anything, and even that's pushing it.

???

buttercup.

• the girl you have in that merry green land...
  • ...can wait forever for you to come home.
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2012, 01:54:45 AM »

I realize telling me that Star Wars The Holiday Special was something to watch was a dirty, dirty, horrible trick.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2012, 02:01:17 AM »

I realize telling me that Star Wars The Holiday Special was something to watch was a dirty, dirty, horrible trick.
Like many of the tragic occurences of youth, it's awful while it's happening, but it gives you a better
perspective on things, and once you've kicked the ass of whoever suggested it, you'll be a better
person for having seen it....

...and you will have seen the first appearance of Boba Fett, and you'll get "Life Day" jokes.

CeeGBee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2012, 02:04:26 AM »

ha!!! you're confusing innocent non natives!!
Actual English speakers, talking to other actual English speakers, would never actually say "someone
younger than I"
...  It's grammatically correct, but it sounds completely pretentious.  It's the sort of
thing that gets smart kids beaten up in grade school.

FYI

buttercup.

• the girl you have in that merry green land...
  • ...can wait forever for you to come home.
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2012, 02:06:06 AM »

Yes, he did make it sound like some sort of secret club within the inner sanctum of nerdville. I may not kick his ass, but just tell him my brain is completely destroyed by strange guttural sounds and not counting Bea Arthur cause that was actually my favourite part.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2012, 12:53:13 PM »

I can't even figure out how to get back to that. I wrote quite a few stories between the ages of 12 and 15...then music really took over. I've been writing lyrics to the exclusion of everything else on a creative level for so long that it's damn near impossible for me to write more than a hundred words to express anything, and even that's pushing it.

???

I think it's just that creative things come in waves and sometimes one medium is best for expressing yourself and another time it's not. So I haven't written any new songs since I got Belfast except one that was based on a poem I wrote ages ago, because I find the environment pretty uninspiring. But I've been working on a play and a story, because they're more escape-y than poetry and songs. I've been drawing monsters as well, whereas when I was at home I'd draw comics about how I felt.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »

Today i realised that Casper, the Friendly Ghost is a dead little boy  :-\ the penny has just dropped.

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

Cirque

• will emerge from the cocoon as a
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »

???

Oh I recently wrote a story that is fiction, but heavily heavily heavily based on reality, and ended up getting up to 5000 words in a little over an hour.
But when it comes to essay time? Pssh, forget about it.

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2012, 09:27:54 AM »

My father has been working purely to my disadvantage for the past 8 years. I might not be able to do graduation and I still don't have my student benefit sorted out because he wont do his paperwork properly. He's caused most of the problems that have come into my life this year and I think I could deal with everything else if it weren't for the drama he's caused. I'm seriously depressed right now.
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »

My father has been working purely to my disadvantage for the past 8 years. I might not be able to do graduation and I still don't have my student benefit sorted out because he wont do his paperwork properly. He's caused most of the problems that have come into my life this year and I think I could deal with everything else if it weren't for the drama he's caused. I'm seriously depressed right now.

Don't worry, it's not one of his kind. I've got one from the same models, except mine had more improved skills in causing drama and being an asshole.

Just try to focus on doing your graduation. And do whatever that takes to make him do the paperwork, kindly asking, emotional blackmailing, assuming a pose, etc. Just make him do it, and after the graduation there will come a time that you will be able to ignore all the drama he causes.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10]  All   Go Up