THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SlutWalks  (Read 17397 times)

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
Re: SlutWalks
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 09:13:52 AM »

^^
I couldn't agree more!
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 11:01:40 AM »

Seconded. Or, wait, am I thirding it now?

CottonCandy

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 11:09:33 AM »

Often, women don't dress up or wear make-up to attract men but to feel good about themselves and possibly to get compliments from fellow women. Lots of style choices are the types that men don't understand but are there to show that "I am stylish or fashionable" regardless whether the outfit actually is that. Plus, lots of the girls who dress somewhat revealingly think they won't look beautiful without the trowels of make-up or a short skirt... Should this be taken advantage of?

Plus, there is a hell is a difference between (unwanted) attention and a rape. Someone might put on a low-cut top to get admiring looks and even secretly like when they get cat-called, doesn't mean they want sex to be the end result... Also, no one is never "asking to be raped", if they were, it would be called consensual sex, not rape.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 01:10:32 PM »

i have a friend who used to work the counter in my shop.  she went to school with my stepdaughter, and she is, for all practical purposes, very comfortable with sex of any kind.  as such, she is also very ethical and doesn't screw around in people's relationships or make people think she loves them, or etc.  what bothers me about this is she takes a certain amount of pride in calling herself a slut.

i get where she's going with it, and i understand the concept of 'taking back a word' but, i dunno.  i've never meant any insult, myself, when i have referred to a girl as a slut (mostly i meant they were generally friendly in the grownup hug kind of way), but i've always felt bad for doing so, because of what it feels like i'm saying, i guess.  it would be easier to get my head around, i guess, if there were words that referred to males the same way.  but words like 'satyr' are for reals more fun to say and don't imply the same image one bit.

also, calling a guy a slut only seems applicable when the guy is gay, and most of the ones you'd term sluts aren't really unhappy about it; they use it as part of their personality/humor, and it doesn't become the burden it seems to become when used on a female.

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 03:42:25 PM »

i call "man sluts" "man hoes", that way it doesnt imply they're gay...totally not relevant to the actual topic, but i'm pretending that i'm helping grow your vocabulary

Pope Totalfrog

• AKA Arse Fez von Titty Biscuit
  • Queen of the wild (suburban) frontier.
    • twitter
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »

@Hillary I don't think you are opposed to the outfits as much as you are opposed to the behavior and attitude of the girls wearing them. They would probably be just as obnoxious in tracksuits.
Wow. Froggie's like a superhero...
Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

Pope Totalfrog

• twitter
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »

@Hillary I don't think you are opposed to the outfits as much as you are opposed to the behavior and attitude of the girls wearing them. They would probably be just as obnoxious in tracksuits.

Yes, yes they are.  But as I have said, these two things go hand in hand here.  Here they wear tracksuits by day, minimal threads by night.  But if I see a girl dressed like that (especially in Lancaster & Morecambe) you can bet money they are an epic bitch.  They think that if they are showing more skin than you that they are more attractive than you, therefore better than you and can treat you like shit without knowing you.  There have also been far too many occasions where I have known guys to be seriously verbally attacked and called a rapist/pervert just for hitting on a girl like that, because they are mostly bolshy cows and think they are better than everybody.  If any of the girls I've known to do that shit actually had been raped later, I don't think I would care.  I know that sounds heartless, but when 90% of the people in your town are like that, you become a lot less sensitive to their plight.  Do you guys live in places where sluts are lovely, or WHAT?  
You dislike a certain group of girls. This doesn't mean you can judge every person who chooses to wear a skimpy outfit.

Slutty?

Slutty?

Slutty?

Trick question: No matter how they're prepared, and how hungry you may be, tarantulas are NOT food

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 07:38:11 PM »

Slutty is not the same thing as skimpy, and neither are necessarily the same thing as tacky, either.

Indja

• wants my
  • Go, Joe, GO!
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »

@Sarah - I'm sorry I got over-personal. I got a bit upset, and didn't think about how I sounded before I wrote it. I am still completely opposed to your opinion, but I didn't have to be mean. Sorry.

I'm sorry you've never met a girl who dressed like that and who wasn't a bitch, but I've known a fair few in my time and as a general rule they've been alright. But even those that have offended me or whatever don't deserve to be dismissed as people, and people deserve to be treated with a modicum of respect. Saying you wouldn't care if you heard they'd been raped is not treating them with that respect - it's ignoring their basic humanity and I'm honestly shocked to hear you say it. Whether a woman is rude, obnoxious and insulting or whether she's charming, witty and polite doesn't detract from the fact that she is a woman, a human being, somebody's child - a fact that I feel strongly and simply qualifies her for a level of care and concern that no amount of unpleasant behaviour should forfeit.

You say you've been judged all your life for dressing differently - why is it that this doesn't make you more aware than most of how unpleasant it is, rather than apparently telling you that the behaviour is acceptable? I'm not saying I'm perfect and that I don't judge people on how they look, I know that I do, but just because I do it doesn't mean that I think it's alright that I do it. I'm sure we all have behaviours that we don't like about ourselves. It sounds - and I'm sorry if this is misinterpretting you - but it sounds like you don't see how judging girls in short skirts and skimpy tops is in any way reprehensible, and that confuses me rather.

I'm also pretty baffled by your repeated assertions that girls where you live are especially different from girls elsewhere in the country. Have a feeling you'll be in for a shock when/if you move away and find that it's at least a national epidemic if not international.

@Brooke - I like to think I have the right to dress as slutty or tacky as I want without being in some way thought to be less worthy of respect than the next person.

Pope Totalfrog

• twitter
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 08:15:20 PM »

Those are not skimpy outfits.
And you can't say that I am wrong and disgusting and ridiculous (I'm aware you didn't use these words, but I feel like they're implied) just because that is all I've experienced with regards to that dress style, and it has not been a small experience.   

Also; as far as I can see with that second picture, they've all chosen to show off one part of their figure (their legs) which I actually think is quite nice.  Girls here cannot do that, they have to show everything.  There is a time and a place for it.
I know the girls you mean. They are universal. They are most definitely not shining examples of humanity and I'm not judging you for disliking them. I think you have judged them for their behaviour more than for what they wear (or don't wear) - that was more my point.

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 09:34:47 PM »

She's right. This is skimpy:

There's nothing wrong with wearing clothing that revels the nice parts of your body but it must be done in a refined, sophisticated way. You know how they say imitate is the finest form of the flattery? It's true and people will pick up on the fashion they see in the media. It's a way of life.
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 09:42:22 PM »

There's nothing wrong with wearing clothing that revels the nice parts of your body but it must be done in a refined, sophisticated way. You know how they say imitate is the finest form of the flattery? It's true and people will pick up on the fashion they see in the media. It's a way of life.
not so very skimpy if she wore it to the beach; that's a legitimate bikini swimsuit under it.   but then, what would one call it if she wore it to church?  i have no idea what the thing is over her arm; i can only assume she skinned one of her kid's plushies.

i mean, i could see places one could wear that that it would be all 'OMG thats such a cool...shirt....and your tan is so orange' or whatever, but i can see a lot more places that she'd be greeted with some frost from the bourgeoisie.

Pope Totalfrog

• twitter
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »

I wouldn't wear it. It wouldn't flatter me. If someone else wants to wear it, then good for them. I won't judge them for it.

If you don't like it, don't wear it. You don't have the right to dictate to anyone what is right and proper.

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 10:37:30 PM »

In case anyone's keeping track, this is the point where some busybody locked the
other SlutWalk thread.  (http://www.theshadowbox.net/forum/index.php?topic=17957.0)

This is skimpy:

What makes this skimpy, even though it's a fairly conservative bikini underneath,
is the outer "garment" used to create the impression that it's revealing....
the sense that you're seeing something under her clothes.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 11:11:38 PM »

look at me! i'm helping CeeGBee!

(just for clarification, i'm now trying to help move the other slutwalk convo over here...and i'm replying to hillary and agonistes)

i do believe there was a SVU (i THINK, it could have been some other cop show :p ) about where a man claimed to be raped by a bunch of ladies, and how when they brought it to court people were trying to say it was impossible for a man to be raped by a woman due to lots of stupid reasons (such as men enjoy it to much, how could the women over power a really fit guy, etc) unfortunately i dont remember how it ended (i think the women got away with it) but i think it's unfair how just because men are supposedly "bigger and stronger" and generally much more obsessed with sex doesnt mean that they cant be raped by a woman
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8  All   Go Up