THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Itching to see Amanda in concert? Visit the tour page to see if she's playing a city near you!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SlutWalks  (Read 17978 times)

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
Re: SlutWalks
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »

yeah, but polygamy is also illegal. 

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »

THEN WHY HAVEN'T THOSE GUYS BE ARRESTED YET!

UGH, AMERICA IS STUPID!
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points

Dejah Thoris

• Don't know what I want but I know how to get it
  • evolution is coming
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »

I don't watch television so I wnet to "Sister Wives" Wikepedia for a brief overview.  I didn't read anything about children having sex.  The legal issues seem to be polygamy and bigamy.  Did I miss something?

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2011, 01:59:24 PM »

UGH, AMERICA IS STUPID!
well, every criminal can't be arrested all at once, it doesn't work like that.  believe me, america's collective stupidity is waaaaaay more deep than that.

for one, they aren't that easy to track down, it's not like they rent an apartment building in the city and take out ads for more wives or whatever.  it's not even the established mormons who do it; it's spinoff groups.  sects, if you will.

a while back when the 'big love' series came on, they did some documentaries about polygamist families, and it was all very hush-hush as to last names or where they lived, because they are breaking the law, and also face backlash from other religious folk.

I don't watch television so I wnet to "Sister Wives" Wikepedia for a brief overview.  I didn't read anything about children having sex.  The legal issues seem to be polygamy and bigamy.  Did I miss something?
mockery was talking about young girls who are married off into polygamist families when they are twelve, and stuff.

Mockery

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2011, 02:02:33 PM »

UGH, AMERICA IS STUPID!
well, every criminal can't be arrested all at once, it doesn't work like that.  believe me, america's collective stupidity is waaaaaay more deep than that.

for one, they aren't that easy to track down, it's not like they rent an apartment building in the city and take out ads for more wives or whatever.  it's not even the established mormons who do it; it's spinoff groups.  sects, if you will.

a while back when the 'big love' series came on, they did some documentaries about polygamist families, and it was all very hush-hush as to last names or where they lived, because they are breaking the law, and also face backlash from other religious folk.

Well don't get wrong. I know that we can't go arresting everyone without proper evidence there are times where I feel like America keeps on getting more and more insane.

I have 47 Indja Points

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »

never understood polygamy in this context.....if you want to live with multipal partners then just go on and do so....marrying them seems like a bit of silly thing to do as it basically makes something perfectly legal to do into an illegal act
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2011, 12:32:39 PM »

The law is basically a hang over from Christian religious doctrine.... (again the bible seems be a tad sketchy on this one but basically says its OK to own concubines and sex slaves but one should only have one wife...or was it porcupines?)

@raliel

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2011, 01:00:32 PM »

never understood polygamy in this context.....if you want to live with multipal partners then just go on and do so....marrying them seems like a bit of silly thing to do as it basically makes something perfectly legal to do into an illegal act

I suppose that marriage is an important thing to do whether it is legal or not, for some people.  Personally, I don't understand how people can love more than one person in a way that makes them want to marry them, but it obviously can and does happen.  Being married to all their partners has to be important enough to them to break the law.  I kind of think the law like this is not in the public interest, but more to keep things simple for the authorities. 
i think it's a religious thing, in the case of the breakaway mormons it is.  i can't remember how they fit it into their doctrine, or whatever we're calling it, but i remember thinking during the documentary that i really only oppose it because it doesn't work both ways; you don't see a woman with seven husbands, after all.  in other words, i'm cool with someone marrying whomever they want, and as many people as they want, so long as the people all know about it and want the same thing.  what i'm not cool with is when these families become separatists, not because i have a problem with them shunning the world, but because it's then easier to break the bigger laws, like child abuse (any sort, including marrying them), when one lives in a 'protective' community like that.

i think it being illegal has more to do with some very real cases of men having families in various towns who were completely unaware of one another.  and, of course, the legal ties involved in marriage aren't set up for groups, i'm sure there's a benefit somewhere someone would happily point out that they shouldn't be getting.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2011, 02:10:17 PM »

I was going to suggest a religious thing, but I've never seen the show, so I have no idea really what it's about other than the multiple marriages mentioned here.  If they were more integrated into community, as opposed to being separate, it would be a lot more accepted.  There's no harm in having multiple spouses (unless of course, as you said, it becomes a deception thing with different families) if everyone involved is happy with the situation.  I suppose there is a public interest if it's hurting people, having secret families, it's a difficult situation when religion allows them to have multiple wives in the same house but if it were legal, it could hurt people who don't follow a religion but simply want to marry lots of people and not tell them about each other.

there is a pervading idea that the 'mormons are polygamists.'  it's a misconception, as most mormons are pretty strict law-followers, as best as i know.  since i don't know a whole lot about the details of the mormon faith, i don't know where the idea came from, but i do know now that some separatist groups, as i said, practice polygamy.

i've only seen the one documentary, and the show 'big love' which is a really good show, but i don't base reality off of it or anything.  as i understand it, a man taking more than one wife is seen by these type of polygamists as a big thing, and a huge responsibility to the man, not just the benefit of 'having two women' or whatever.  like, it's something he earns, per se.  since of course it is a separatist group, there isn't a whole lot of control or regulating these ideas, of course, so worst-case scenarios reveal themselves from time to time. 

there have been arguments made that kids raised in a 'healthy' polygamist home are awesome, and so on, but no real study model, of course.  again you most often hear about the worst-case scenarios with the incest and child brides and all.  and, these types of stories make for hella awesome television.

Cheddars Cousin

• I'm no Gouda
  • Legendairy
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »

It used to be accepted by the LDS Church in general.  The practice was started by Joseph Smith at the founding of the church. It wasn't until the U.S. government cracked down on the practice that the church denounced it.  The fundamentalist sects are the ones that cling to it still.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »

It used to be accepted by the LDS Church in general.  The practice was started by Joseph Smith at the founding of the church. It wasn't until the U.S. government cracked down on the practice that the church denounced it.  The fundamentalist sects are the ones that cling to it still.
i thought it might have something to do with 'old school' mormons, but wasn't up on the facts enough to assert so.  i know nowadays they fight really hard to not be associated with polygamy.  and, i did know the breakaway sects were fundies.

Mockery

« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2011, 03:03:39 PM »

The law is basically a hang over from Christian religious doctrine.... (again the bible seems be a tad sketchy on this one but basically says its OK to own concubines and sex slaves but one should only have one wife...or was it porcupines?)

That was during the time. You were suppose to have more than wife. It was a sign of power.

I have 47 Indja Points

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2011, 09:04:58 AM »

@raliel

Savannah

• Ich Bin Ein
  • Accidentally on purpose
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2011, 09:22:28 AM »

this is extremely relevent to the discussion as it was......
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2017823/Raped-12-gang-footballers-judge-frees--Victim-speaks-sickening-sex-attack.html

I think it's pedophilia. Thinking about how i was at 12, simply just a child unaware of any harms and how evil some people can be..

And i don't think what these little girls wanted to do with those guys matters. It's adolescence, they may want to do anything for which they'll regret for doing the other day.
Quote from: Amanda Palmer
I mean, we're losers with bandwidth. #LOFNOTC

facebook is like the worst book I've ever read. the characters do not evolve one bit and the plot is going nowhere.

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »

indeed...and would have posted it in that thread too but it's been locked.....
the sheer stupidity of this whole thing is shocking......and for the perpetrators to genuinely seem to think that their behaviour was acceptable with any girls at any age is vile

@raliel
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  All   Go Up