THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: CONTEST: Morbid Little Stories  (Read 58119 times)

beth of all trades

• Joan of Arc
  • formerly girlwithacameranyc
    • beth hommel dot com
Re: CONTEST: Morbid Little Stories
« Reply #255 on: March 03, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »

However, I’m not sure what to make of these two posts. (I'll qualify this point to the best of my abilities).
Okay, folks.

I'm going to pick three people at random from the entries received and send them a t-shirt.  I encourage all of you to post your stories for everyone else to read, either here or in a new thread, so you do not feel your efforts have been wasted. 
Did I miss our announcement that it was cancelled? Because it wasn't. And isn't.
When people feel resolution has been reached on their merchandise and money spent, we'll get back to the fun stuff where people aren't hurling insults and calling us thieves.

I feel a little bit bad for pointing it out because I’m content with the explanation and resolution of either post individually. Logically I should accept the content of the most recent post but I’m curious about the discrepancy (if there is one). I just thought I'd mention this because I can't imagine that I'm the only person who is puzzled.

This contest fit into a larger plan that hasn't yet come to fruition, which is what I think Sean is referring to.  I wanted to close the door completely so if that Other Thing doesn't happen everyone who participated will have closure and no one will be disappointed.  Sean is just more of an optimist than I am these days.

In general, the thing we've learned over the past year or so is to promise less than we think we will deliver, so that people are surprised when cool stuff happens/when their orders arrive before we said they would/etc, rather than angry because we were too idealistic about timelines and feasibility of projects.  Thus, a project can be wrapped but rise again from the ashes at a later date.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #256 on: March 03, 2011, 06:23:54 PM »

morpheus, you asked one of the questions that came to mind for me from this thread.

what bothers me is what i see as a lack of communication.  if a contest is announced with a deadline, you can only push that deadline so many months without people asking when the denouement is coming.  and, the more times they ask, the more rudely they will do it.  this is not the first thread i have seen people ask, and ask, and ask and ask until they get a short post or two from the team asking everybody to be patient and expressing hurt feelings from the comments of those who aren't.  then sean's post seemed overly bitchy to me because it felt like fans (read: customers) were being told off or something.  i might have totally misread it, but the tone seemed more flippant than conciliatory.  i mean, i can totally see how it would feel to be working my ass off on something cool i wasnt talking about and people at the same time be fussing about my 'lack of' whatever, i'd probably react horribly, myself.  but, then, my reaction only represents me, since i work for myself.

my point is that if something changes behind the scenes, as it were, and isn't explained, it looks like a clusterfuck.  i mean, i like to talk about this subject only because amanda palmer's career is a business, and since i have to find ways to make art mesh with business in my own work, i find it interesting when other people do it in new ways.  and, the music business is changing, so this is a different way, and it's interesting, even the things that don't go like they were planned.

really, i don't mean to come across as derisive to either side.  the only time i find myself getting irritated is when i see others getting irritated on either side, because it seems so easily avoidable; this is a pretty forgiving crowd, and i think if they know that one idea became part of a cooler idea it would not hurt to say so before people start judging one way or the other.  because, they will.

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2011, 10:50:43 PM »

However, I’m not sure what to make of these two posts. (I'll qualify this point to the best of my abilities).
Okay, folks.

I'm going to pick three people at random from the entries received and send them a t-shirt.  I encourage all of you to post your stories for everyone else to read, either here or in a new thread, so you do not feel your efforts have been wasted. 
Did I miss our announcement that it was cancelled? Because it wasn't. And isn't.
When people feel resolution has been reached on their merchandise and money spent, we'll get back to the fun stuff where people aren't hurling insults and calling us thieves.

I feel a little bit bad for pointing it out because I’m content with the explanation and resolution of either post individually. Logically I should accept the content of the most recent post but I’m curious about the discrepancy (if there is one). I just thought I'd mention this because I can't imagine that I'm the only person who is puzzled.

This contest fit into a larger plan that hasn't yet come to fruition, which is what I think Sean is referring to.  I wanted to close the door completely so if that Other Thing doesn't happen everyone who participated will have closure and no one will be disappointed.  Sean is just more of an optimist than I am these days.

In general, the thing we've learned over the past year or so is to promise less than we think we will deliver, so that people are surprised when cool stuff happens/when their orders arrive before we said they would/etc, rather than angry because we were too idealistic about timelines and feasibility of projects.  Thus, a project can be wrapped but rise again from the ashes at a later date.

Personally, I understand. I've been there & done that. I think that clears everything up.

Agonistes... I get it entirely but I do relate to the team chaos situation. I don't know what it's like for them but I know how quickly an idea can be buried if you're in a business that has a lot of things going on. we've gotten used to the way big businesses does things and it's hard for smaller operatives to cover all bases. I think that the learning process is a good thing though. There are limits to what small units can accomplish and it takes time to understand how much can be done. It's unfortunate that the best of intentions get punished just because we always expect the best - brutal world.

Agonistes

• discocunt
    • blog
« Reply #258 on: March 03, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »

Agonistes... I get it entirely but I do relate to the team chaos situation. I don't know what it's like for them but I know how quickly an idea can be buried if you're in a business that has a lot of things going on. we've gotten used to the way big businesses does things and it's hard for smaller operatives to cover all bases. I think that the learning process is a good thing though. There are limits to what small units can accomplish and it takes time to understand how much can be done. It's unfortunate that the best of intentions get punished just because we always expect the best - brutal world.
well, and like i said i don't mean to come across unsympathetic to the team's situation.  it's hard to sound objective on all aspects of an issue, though, so i apologize if what i said DID offend.  it's a hard subject to comment on altogether, but i can't seem to stay away from it because i both have feelings about it as a fan, and as i said above, i find it really goddamn interesting, the dynamics of 'alternative business models,' i guess i'll call it.

Morpheus Laughing

« Reply #259 on: March 03, 2011, 11:17:12 PM »

^
Aye.

I understand. It's hard to qualify an opinion on the internet.

Jon Hanna

• Here I stand with this sword in my hand.
    • HackCraft
« Reply #260 on: May 31, 2011, 05:15:19 AM »

We're all here for a reason. That is to say, there is a passion for the output of a set of performers that is shared by those of us who post (and lurk) on this site. I'm not sure that reason came about through making small promises and never getting it right.

Okay, I'm going to get peeved if something I pay for doesn't arrive; it's a contract thing, I expect both sides to come through on what they commit to, so in cases like that it's important to manage expectations so that people don't feel aggrieved if stuff doesn't happen quite as planned.

Here though, the only thing that gave this any of that contractual quality was the word "contest". I wonder if people would agree with me that they'd have been as interested in "can you guys write stories that fit this brief" if the words "contest" and "prize" hadn't come into it?

How about we (that is, all the people who are not team chaos) not bother having expectations that they need to manage and just make some art? "Expectations are pre-meditated resentments". They're also a poor yardstick for artists.
I have no utterance left, my tongue is broken down, and straightway a subtle fire has run under my skin, with my eyes I have no sight, my ears ring, sweat pours down, and a trembling seizes all my body; I am paler than grass, and seem in my madness little better than one dead.

indeciSEAN

• Das Ruling Klass
  • Rise of The Cephalobot!
    • Twitter
« Reply #261 on: June 01, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »

We're all here for a reason. That is to say, there is a passion for the output of a set of performers that is shared by those of us who post (and lurk) on this site. I'm not sure that reason came about through making small promises and never getting it right.

Okay, I'm going to get peeved if something I pay for doesn't arrive; it's a contract thing, I expect both sides to come through on what they commit to, so in cases like that it's important to manage expectations so that people don't feel aggrieved if stuff doesn't happen quite as planned.

Here though, the only thing that gave this any of that contractual quality was the word "contest". I wonder if people would agree with me that they'd have been as interested in "can you guys write stories that fit this brief" if the words "contest" and "prize" hadn't come into it?

How about we (that is, all the people who are not team chaos) not bother having expectations that they need to manage and just make some art? "Expectations are pre-meditated resentments". They're also a poor yardstick for artists.

Interesting way to look at the whole thing.
Also, "Team Chaos" no longer exists.
And maybe we'll revisit this some day, knowing what it was all about makes me think there's a good chance at it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18]  All   Go Up