THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: Beauty=Big Boobs, Tiny Waist  (Read 80731 times)

Tiervexx

Re: Beauty=Big Boobs, Tiny Waist
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 09:44:52 PM »

denying that some people look better than others is just a revolt against nature.

I don't want to date a woman but it just so happens that my preference in weight lines up very well with healthier BMI's.  I think most people evolved that way for a reason.  I Think women look best when they are JUST thin enough not to have a protruding gut and fat is not built up around their head.

I frequently work hard to make a friend with body image issues feel better about herself because she is in GREAT shape while feeling like she is too fat, but that is only because she really is not fat.  If someone (male or female) is eating themselves to death you are not doing them a favor by helping them feel better about it.

The idea that a 6 foot tall woman should only weigh 100 lbs is terrible and comes from the media, but the revulsion from morbidly obese people comes from our natural urge to avoid dangerous health issues.

Also, I wanted to say that I am tired of hearing grossly overweight people talk about how proud they are not to be anorexic.  At least being anorexic takes willpower... anyone can just stuff themselves like a pig and skip workouts as if that was an accomplishment.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 09:50:02 PM »

I wanted to say that I am tired of hearing grossly overweight people talk about how proud they are not to be anorexic.  At least being anorexic takes willpower... anyone can just stuff themselves like a pig and skip workouts as if that was an accomplishment.

so does putting a loaded gun in your mouth and pulling the trigger.

#@!

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 09:53:11 PM »

I'm sort of with Tiervexx on this one. It's pretty obvious to yourself and everyone else when you start eating yourself into early death.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 10:06:24 PM »

I'm sort of with Tiervexx on this one. It's pretty obvious to yourself and everyone else when you start eating yourself into early death.

...but at the same time, you can't tell someone with severe depression to "just cheer up"
and expect them to get better.  Sure, the symptoms of eating disorders can be obvious
and physical, but the cause is psychological and often invisible.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 10:14:51 PM »

...but at the same time, you can't tell someone with severe depression to "just cheer up"
and expect them to get better.  Sure, the symptoms of eating disorders can be obvious

Well, sure. When you suffer from depression, the logical thing is to go get help. Same thing goes for eating disorders, and any other medical condition you may have.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

Tiervexx

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 10:16:49 PM »

I wanted to say that I am tired of hearing grossly overweight people talk about how proud they are not to be anorexic.  At least being anorexic takes willpower... anyone can just stuff themselves like a pig and skip workouts as if that was an accomplishment.

#@!

Absolutely.  Does not mean you should do it but it does take a type of strength to kill yourself.  It takes no strength to over eat.  That's my point.  Most people want to skip workout sand eat huge amounts of junk food.

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 03:04:29 AM »

Well, sure. When you suffer from depression, the logical thing is to go get help. Same thing goes for eating disorders, and any other medical condition you may have.
Do you know how hard it is to even admit to having a psychological disorder? and doing the "logical" thing is even harder even when you have recognised that you have an issue, be it  body dismorphia or depression
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Niels

• Shadows stuffed with organs
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 04:28:32 AM »

#@!

Absolutely.  Does not mean you should do it but it does take a type of strength to kill yourself.  It takes no strength to over eat.  That's my point.  Most people want to skip workout sand eat huge amounts of junk food.

That's actually kind of offensive. You say that somehow being anorexic takes willpower. You couldn't be further from the truth. When someone has real anorexia, they CAN'T eat. It has nothing to do with not wanting to eat. It takes enormous amounts of willpower for them to actually overcome that disorder and eat something. While it may take willpower for people without anorexia to stick to a diet, for people who do have it, there's no choice.
And the same thing goes for people who overeat. It's NEVER a case of "I just want to eat and I don't care if I get fat or die". In a lot of cases it's a disorder just like anorexia. Just like anorexics can't make themselves eat, people with a binge eating disorder often can't make themselves not eat. For a healthy human being without any serious psychological issues (which I assume you are), that might be difficult to understand, but try.
You make it sound like binge eaters just lack willpower while anorexics are just really goal-oriented and will do whatever it takes to be really skinny. It often starts that way, but saying that it's all there is to it, is incredibly offensive.

It's like saying people who suffer from depression should just cheer up, or people with anxiety disorders are just cowards.

CottonCandy

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 05:18:04 AM »

#@!

That's actually kind of offensive. You say that somehow being anorexic takes willpower. You couldn't be further from the truth. When someone has real anorexia, they CAN'T eat. It has nothing to do with not wanting to eat. It takes enormous amounts of willpower for them to actually overcome that disorder and eat something. While it may take willpower for people without anorexia to stick to a diet, for people who do have it, there's no choice.
And the same thing goes for people who overeat. It's NEVER a case of "I just want to eat and I don't care if I get fat or die". In a lot of cases it's a disorder just like anorexia. Just like anorexics can't make themselves eat, people with a binge eating disorder often can't make themselves not eat. For a healthy human being without any serious psychological issues (which I assume you are), that might be difficult to understand, but try.
You make it sound like binge eaters just lack willpower while anorexics are just really goal-oriented and will do whatever it takes to be really skinny. It often starts that way, but saying that it's all there is to it, is incredibly offensive.

It's like saying people who suffer from depression should just cheer up, or people with anxiety disorders are just cowards.

I would so agree with this. Admiring anorexics for their "willpower" is partly why society idolises these very skinny women. Anorexics do not have the willpower to take control of their whole life, so they just focus on one aspect of it. They do not have the courage to let go sometimes. They are not healthy and should not be idolised any more than morbidly obese people should be.

Actually, evolutionary speaking, we are attracted to only few things in women. One is waist-hip ratio (thinnest part of your torso to the widest part of your hips) should ideally be 0.7. Doesn't matter how little or large woman is, as long as that ratio is there. Makes sense as gathering weight to your hips and thighs is healthier than the apple-shape. Second is symmetry of the face. All else is pretty much societys beauty norms, that change.

Sarah Doll

• An Irresistible Reject
  • Gave into fear and chose life undercover
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 05:31:36 AM »

It's not exactly willpower, it's more of an inbuilt compulsion or routine. That goes for whether you feel you can't eat for whatever reason or that you need to eat. I know there's a lot of obesity today, not all of it due to psychological issues, but those that may be in the habit of overeating for whatever reason will find it hard to break that. The same goes for people who can't eat properly because of some mental block or body image issues or depression, or whataver's going on with them. Psychological stuff like that kind of takes away your willpower and makes it that much harder to break the cycle. And even if you do manage to ask for help, it may be hard to take it or follow advice.

Oh, how delightful
Don't mind if I do
Help myself to a cup of this Broken Heart Stew

Astica

• Ghost
  • Purportedly decadent.
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 06:06:09 AM »

Not all anorexia is beauty/media/image related. I had an anorexic friend who considered the skeletal form to be what people truly looked like, and basically viewed any fat/muscle/meat on his body that obscured his bones as being unhealthy or deformed, like tumours. Gaining weight would have some sort of placebo effect on him where he would actually become sick with anxiety, so he'd starve to take the cause of the sickness away, and starving himself would make him sick, too. But he preferred being sick and looking his idea of normal to being sick and looking fat and weak.

It took me quite a while to understand that he actually didn't want to be better.
Quote from: Indja
I mean really, my sins are my own - i don't wnat some cunt to swoop in and wipe the slate clean. it is my fucking slate. fuck offf.

Quote from: N.U.
Tricorns are fuckbanana awesome.

NastyEgo

• my worst enemy
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 11:46:25 AM »

It took me quite a while to understand that he actually didn't want to be better.
That kind of things suck.

As for the original post I think that going into "extremes" isn't good. We were shown photos of a skeleton and a rather "big" lady. No middle ground? There are loads of women who look normal. And skinny doesn't always mean ugly. I've known some girls who looked kinda skinny, but were really tiny to add to it. It looked OK. And I'd prefer that to a "big" woman.
lookning in shades of green through shades of blue

Cheddars Cousin

• I'm no Gouda
  • Legendairy
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »

I am not attracted to the girl in the first pic at all.  I will admit though, that the second girl could lose a few and be quite nice to look at.

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »

As for the original post I think that going into "extremes" isn't good. We were shown photos of a skeleton and a rather "big" lady. No middle ground? There are loads of women who look normal. And skinny doesn't always mean ugly. I've known some girls who looked kinda skinny, but were really tiny to add to it. It looked OK. And I'd prefer that to a "big" woman.

i think the reason there was no middle was because the point was that generally speaking people say that the skinnier types are most attractive and the larger is ugly...middle is just that, the middle, no one really says anything about them cause they're the middle...

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 08:09:30 PM »

Well I searched for a 'model' and that's what came up.

I never said that skinny is bad. I just don't think it's fair that people hold skinny people on a pedestal while people who are thicker or in between are considered ugly. It's okay to be healthy and all but you need to find a good medium as well as enjoy who you are. What people think of you isn't all that important in the long run. You need to take care of your body and enjoy the skin in your way.
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 34   Go Up