THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: Beauty=Big Boobs, Tiny Waist  (Read 80716 times)

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
Re: Beauty=Big Boobs, Tiny Waist
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 09:55:41 PM »

I find it interesting that this thread is all about how obseession with weight loss is a bad thing....yet the very same people discussing this are constantly posting in a thread about personal weight loss.....no one is immune to body image pressures!

And psychological disorders are as real as physical illnesses but we live in a society that finds it incredibly hard to recognise the need for help with any mental health issue......it is not about willpower or the lack of it.......
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 11:05:34 PM »

I find it interesting that this thread is all about how obseession with weight loss is a bad thing....yet the very same people discussing this are constantly posting in a thread about personal weight loss.....no one is immune to body image pressures!
I think the source here is akin to your or my irritation with that guy in a $1000 suit and driving a
Mercedes who's bitching about the cost of living.  There are lots of us (myself certainly included)
who could stand to lose some weight, get in better shape, get some exercise....

...but we have several industries trying to tell us we don't just need to tone-up a bit, but
cut our weight by 20-30-50%

And psychological disorders are as real as physical illnesses but we live in a society that finds it incredibly hard to recognise the need for help with any mental health issue......it is not about willpower or the lack of it.......
Exactly.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 05:00:12 AM »

Wow. This thread looked vaguely promising and now I just feel sick.
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 05:12:14 AM »

umm not something i said I hope....I have my own issues....

@raliel

VinsanityOrElse

• VinsanityOrElse
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 12:59:54 PM »

Ok, so my input (if I may be so inclined)...

I've dated 1) Very ROund girl, 2) Very teeny tiny girl, 3) girl in the middle (honestly closer to skinny but you get the point...medium) and here's what I have to say...

Very ROund girl, was never happy...always worried she looked WAY too big. And truth be told, neither her weight nor her self image WAS healthy but when I tried to help her get in shape (not LOSE weight but IN SHAPE) she said she'd rather stay in and watch a movie, or party.

Very Skinny girl, always worried she'd see a little bit of flub starting up so she'd basically stop eating until it went away. OR she'd try to work out but not like how the muscles were "growing in" so she'd stop.

Medium (has curves but in the right places) girl, yeah...while she may want to tone up a bit (as Tyra Banks says "get her shape in shape") she's generally happy. We both would like to tone up, thus the weight loss thread, but at the same time we can sit and eat an entire pizza together and smile happily that it was sooooo good. And yes, sometimes (a certain time in the month) she may break down crying because her skinny jeans don't fit.

I think, as a stupid image based boy, beauty to me is defined as how healthy you are. Yes, some women/boys look very similar...but if that's how they feel the best mentally and physically cool. Some women feel better as fully rounded Big Beautiful Women, and they comfortably do what they want...cool. To me the least beautiful person is someone who is struggling in life because of the body issues she gives herself.
Wow that was a lot longer than I intended... sorry guys.
Let the music take your soul, and sing from your ever beating heart in the key your mind can no longer hear.

Mockery

• Frank L. Baum's past bride and Oz princess
  • Lovely, lovely lady lumps
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 02:22:12 PM »

VOS, that's why I started this thread. You're post was interesting and of course, relevant to this post. Besides, I agree with you about the whole health is beauty thing.
was too busy looking at the attractive girl in the weird paint vag bib.

I have 47 Indja Points

Mr. Leave Me Alone

• Cake Sex Riot
  • 'Agent of mirth'
    • Blog.
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 04:02:57 PM »

Nope. I sort of zeroed in on the stuff about mental illness because that's what was upsetting me, so I don't know if you said anything about anything else, but if you didn't, I'm 100% with you on what you said.

The idea that was posted that anorexics have some kind of willpower that allows them to not eat actually made me want to hit things. In suggesting something like that, you are undermining an awful struggle that a lot of people have to go through against their own minds and even what makes them feel physically 'right' in an attempt to get better.

Don't even care about the rest of this fucking debate. It's nothing groundbreaking. It's DEFINITELY been discussed on here before and I'll bet you a fiver that there's 2 other threads on it. It's just about more reasons not to bother with people anymore.
Guns N' Roses are red, violets are funny...

Unbreakable toys are useful for breaking other toys.

I witnessed the Cake Sex Riot-4/3/12. Pray for me.
☑✝
☒♀+cake

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 05:15:41 PM »

Nope. I sort of zeroed in on the stuff about mental illness because that's what was upsetting me, so I don't know if you said anything about anything else, but if you didn't, I'm 100% with you on what you said.

The idea that was posted that anorexics have some kind of willpower that allows them to not eat actually made me want to hit things. In suggesting something like that, you are undermining an awful struggle that a lot of people have to go through against their own minds and even what makes them feel physically 'right' in an attempt to get better.

Don't even care about the rest of this fucking debate. It's nothing groundbreaking. It's DEFINITELY been discussed on here before and I'll bet you a fiver that there's 2 other threads on it. It's just about more reasons not to bother with people anymore.
i am actually quite perturbed by the naivety of some of the posts about mental illness in general...body image issues are generally linked to mental health issues rather than a lack of willpower....or a surplus of it as it were....and the biggest problem with mental health is that the person suffering is usually in no way able to deal with the problems and may externalise in many forms.....the true sickness lies with the media and in particular the fashion industry enforcing an unrealistic image upon those that are not necessarily able to objectively deal with how others perceive them....
Audrey...as you know it is always a psychological struggle .....one which we do not always win...not sure this makes much sense but I know we are agreeing

@raliel

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »

as for a person who talks on both of those threads :p

i'll tell you i'm in the middle, and although i'm quite happy with where i'm at size wise, yes i'd like to tone up and get in shape. honestly i dont have any actual "weight" to lose, if i were to lose weight instead of just get more in shape (which is what i'm personally aiming for) i would probably get really sick and look like a very odd pointy skeleton...

granted i cant speak for other peoples, but for me i'm pretty much happy i just want to look better in short shorts lol and not for everyone, just me, because quite frankly i'm fucking worth it  O0

(ps i'm not fighting with you, just throwing in my 2 cents)

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 06:05:04 PM »

oh understood....it just seems odd that people are kind of arguing both caes on different threads and it just shows how body image (which is generally a personal thing unless your self esteem levels are REALLY low) can be such a pervasive thing....i am a male in my VERY late 30s so I am certainly no longer the 28 inch waisted rake i used to be....and possibly slightly on the wrong side of my ideal weight....but it has not ben my major issue....(that has much more to do with a lot of other things and particularly my actual worth as a human being in general...a group I have always been an outsider of and I flit between being confortable with that, enjoying it and feeling utterly and hopelessly lost by it)

@raliel

tanqgirl

• honest to god i will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart
  • i fell apart, but got back up again
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 06:19:32 PM »

honestly i think i'm pretty lucky most of the time because of how i look, i'm literally in the middle so unfortunately a lot of girls who i dont know look at me and automatically dislike me because i'm not "fat" and i have curves and whatnot that generally speaking (obviously everyone's different) that's what guys like...

but at the same time it really sucks BECAUSE...if you go to the store and look at the clothes are the designers are making things for people shaped like this l and like this o  now dont get me wrong that's not a bad thing, it's great that they want to help people look good in their clothes...but i'm shaped like an hourglass so clothes for a stick figure make me look fat and awful, but clothes for bigger girls make me look like i'm hiding? i guess is the only way i can explain it...and although those clothes (generally) help those other types of body shapes look good, they make me look bad, and thats all that i can find in the stores now a days unless i go shop in the 40 year old section (fyi i'm 21, i'm not gonna wear "mom clothes") so instead i dont get to buy clothes i have to wear what i've owned forever and hope i dont like a damn 12 year old OR buy clothes that dont actually fit right and then get annoyed and dont wear them because i look weird...i'm also not gonna go to some designer store and spend money i dont have on uber expensive clothes...

sorry totally went on a rant there, but it's true and it bothers me greatly...

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 06:23:39 PM »

the simple answer is to reject modern fashion entirely (I did) and basically learn to sew or just make stuff up as you go along that you happen to like

@raliel

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2011, 06:28:20 PM »

honestly i think i'm pretty lucky most of the time because of how i look, i'm literally in the middle so unfortunately a lot of girls who i dont know look at me and automatically dislike me because i'm not "fat" and i have curves and whatnot that generally speaking (obviously everyone's different) that's what guys like...

but at the same time it really sucks BECAUSE...if you go to the store and look at the clothes are the designers are making things for people shaped like this l and like this o  now dont get me wrong that's not a bad thing, it's great that they want to help people look good in their clothes...but i'm shaped like an hourglass so clothes for a stick figure make me look fat and awful, but clothes for bigger girls make me look like i'm hiding? i guess is the only way i can explain it...and although those clothes (generally) help those other types of body shapes look good, they make me look bad, and thats all that i can find in the stores now a days unless i go shop in the 40 year old section (fyi i'm 21, i'm not gonna wear "mom clothes") so instead i dont get to buy clothes i have to wear what i've owned forever and hope i dont like a damn 12 year old OR buy clothes that dont actually fit right and then get annoyed and dont wear them because i look weird...i'm also not gonna go to some designer store and spend money i dont have on uber expensive clothes...

sorry totally went on a rant there, but it's true and it bothers me greatly...

I'm a size 6 which is a size 2, I think, in American sizes. I've always been naturally thin but until I was 16, I was a size larger. I lost a lot of weight and I've never been able to put it back on. But, I hate shopping because almost nowhere carries my size, and if it does, it's either too long (in the case of trousers, cos I'm also very short), it doesn't suit me or it's something I would never wear. So, I have to do what tanqgirl does and just wear my old clothes over and over until they fall apart.

That's also not really relevant to the topic. But, I think I would like to have more curves. I have tiny boobs, a tiny waist and a lot of my bones are clearly visible. I don't have an eating disorder, quite the opposite, but like I said, I can't put the weight back on. I have a figure that a lot of people would envy but it's really more annoying than anything.
Although, I do have quite a big ass for my size LOL

As for what Robin said, I tend not to follow trends whatsoever, I buy what I like but as I mentioned, it's not often that I see something I like that I can also afford. I should really learn to sew but I rarely have time. In the summer, I work almost every day and the rest of the time, I am busy with uni work or friends or going home.
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 06:46:46 PM »

nonsense everyone has time to learn to sew even at a basic level.....we live in a world that treats time as a sparce comodity but actually we can do all that we wish

@raliel

Captain Oblivious

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
    • The NCC! I am a mod there =]
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2011, 06:48:35 PM »

nonsense everyone has time to learn to sew even at a basic level.....we live in a world that treats time as a sparce comodity but actually we can do all that we wish

I know how to sew things like buttons and if I have a hole in a jumper or something :P
Quote from: Reptile
Congratulations, you tiny badass!

Quote from: ~Miranda~
Everything you said looks like real words to me.

Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 34   Go Up