THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: please help me unfuck my tv/surround sound system before my parents come home  (Read 2154 times)

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

ok so here's my situation

my set up is

a tv
cable box, component out
a source selector
a couple consoles
and then the sony home theater system box

the component cables go from the cable box into the source selector. the three component video cables had gone from the source selector to the input on the tv and the two audio cables went from the source selector to the sound system box.

my understanding was that this was okay, but not "correct" and that all five cables should have been going to the tv and then a sound cable from the tv's audio output jack should have gone to the sound system. but when this was all set up i was short an audio cable and figured the original solution would work.

but our remote will not configure with the sound system, so rearrange the set up to be "right."

so instead of audio from source selector to sound box, i put it from source selector to tv. and then i put in from the tv's audio out to the sound system. i thought it was correct, but when i go to the tv's menu to select a different sound source, it's greyed out and wont give me any options.

i would really really like to have it set up like this so that we can control the surround sound with a remote. what am i doing wrong?

the "new" audio cable i found was actually yellow/white. i know that's video but i read online that the colors are arbitrary and that the cables themselves are the same. is that actually the problem?
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15

CeeGBee

• Too o-o-old to rock & ro-o-oll, but too young to die...
  • Global Moderator
    • Facebook, website, what's the dif?

Sadly, I just played with this stuff installing our new TV, but without the external speakers/DVR/cable-box,
and I really can't help much....

The only thing that comes to mind is this: I originally connected the DVD/blu-ray player with the same old
"component" connectors we'd used with the old TV... (you know, three-wire cord with red/yellow/white?)
That worked, but when I switched to a shiny new HDMI cable, the Sony TV can tell when the Samsung
DVD/bly-ray player is turned on, and automatically switches to that source, and the TV remote can operate
the disc player without having to be programmed like a regular old "universal remote"...

So... maybe high-def cable would help?  or not...  I'm really not qualified.
Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

BATTEREDxBRIDExLUVR!

i got it! thanks for all the help.

i thought that the tv was going to let me choose a source; instead it just outputs to both simultaneously. sound comes from both the theater system and the tv's built in speakers so i guess you just turn one of them all the way down.
I do not want to live to archive my own life.
I see it everywhere around me, especially with the popularity of web diaries, forums, and cell phones that take pictures.
I do not want to fall into the subtle trap of truly believing I Blog Therefore I Am.
amanda, 2005-04-15
Pages: [1]   Go Up