THESHADOWBOX.NET

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the most important things you will ever do (as a fan of AFP, at least): Sign up for THE MAILING LIST!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 21  All   Go Down

Author Topic: from the Science Desk  (Read 35321 times)

Shock G

• Do the Humpty Hump!
Re: from the Science Desk
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 08:19:16 AM »

this is really fascinating.....and potentially could lead us down the whole Biotech revolution which to be honest is far more useful than hard tech will ever get....
http://www.innovationnewsdaily.com/dna-genetic-engineering-find-replace-2140/

The big jump will be when we can build a genetic code from scratch though this will help with the trial and error so we can learn what certain segments of code will do.
I like my beats funky, I'm spunky, I like my oatmeal lumpy.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 01:33:30 PM »

one third of the world's population has some form of hepatitis:   http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43895748/ns/health-infectious_diseases/t/third-world-infected-hepatitis-who/

:(

#@!

The Angel Raliel

• ...looked the other way when a third of them fell
  • ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »

one third of the world's population has some form of hepatitis:   http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43895748/ns/health-infectious_diseases/t/third-world-infected-hepatitis-who/

:(

#@!
and you managed to spread almost entirely on your own....
One should always be a little improbable.

@raliel

Tiervexx

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 06:22:29 PM »

this is really fascinating.....and potentially could lead us down the whole Biotech revolution which to be honest is far more useful than hard tech will ever get....

I half agree with you.  Hard tech will be just as important but I do believe that one day all the hard tech we use will also be integrated into our bodies so the barrier between them gets blurry.

I'd bet heavily that alien civilizations that are millions of years more advanced than us (or even much less than that) rarely, if ever, use external devices.  Everything is integrated into their bodies in a combination of cybernetic implants and genetic engineering (each will be more useful for different things).

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 01:35:38 AM »

I half agree with you.  Hard tech will be just as important but I do believe that one day all the hard tech we use will also be integrated into our bodies so the barrier between them gets blurry.

I'd bet heavily that alien civilizations that are millions of years more advanced than us (or even much less than that) rarely, if ever, use external devices.  Everything is integrated into their bodies in a combination of cybernetic implants and genetic engineering (each will be more useful for different things).
I have always maintained that the manipulation of biology has far more potential than the micing of biology with hard tech......look at our attempts at artificial intelligence....if we got past the ick factor we could have been growing cutom brains instead decades ago......

@raliel

Tiervexx

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »

I have always maintained that the manipulation of biology has far more potential than the micing of biology with hard tech

I think there are mechanics in physics that fight you on that.  Biologically grown brains don't have the potential to have transistors as small as they can be on a quantum level.  Pure biology also does not seem to have the potential to be as strong as carbon fiber like what we might use to reinforce our bodies at some point.

Both manipulated biology and inorganic components both have their use.

......look at our attempts at artificial intelligence....if we got past the ick factor we could have been growing cutom brains instead decades ago......

I think that's definitely not true.  Neurology is a fast growing but still a very new science.  I agree that we could have been enhancing our brains sooner that we will end up doing because of technophobia though.

I know I'm not adverse to such things... I'd be very interested in genetic enhancements put in with the "find and replace" technology you posted once it is fully developed.  I'm cautiously optimistic that such things will be available while we're still around.

...I'm also really hoping that this man's research has matured before I get too old.

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2011, 03:38:44 PM »

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »

red wine may help prevent sunburn:     http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20086913-10391704.html

:glasses9:

#@!

lentower

• if you see me at a show (or elsewhere), please come over & say hi
  • this is a real photo of me. thanks sheri hausey!
    • len's web sight
getting started:
BOX-RULES (please read...

further back:
Our forum before this one...

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames

The Angel Raliel

• ...devourer of scones
    • Raliel Art
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 04:41:22 PM »

@raliel

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »

NASA launched the Juno probe to explore Jupiter today...but the most important part of the mission is the LEGO crew on board!

:glasses9: :headbang:

#@!

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »

antimatter discovered in orbit around Earth:    http://io9.com/5828449/thin-belt-of-antimatter-discovered-above-earth

:D

#@!

imaginary friend

• Enigmagnetic
  • Global Moderator
  • up in flames
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 21  All   Go Up